Botta: If Belmont stalls, Islanders have option to play in Coliseum for two extra years

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
If Belmont stalls, Islanders have option to play in Coliseum for two extra years

woo-hoo!

WRISTERS: Earlier this week, we wrote about out how the Islanders' games at the Coliseum this season are being heavily marketed, while the dates at Barclays seem an after-thought. In response, a very knowledgeable insider pointed out that it's BSE doing all the heavy pushing of the Coliseum games because they wouldn't mind seeing the games in Brooklyn tank. BSE knows the Brooklyn experiment was a dismal failure, and desperately wants all of the games at their arena on Hempstead Turnpike.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
This shouldn't be celebrated.... the fact that it's even being discussed is worrisome.

I'd be more worried if the environmental studies don't hit the dates Baumbach mentioned yesterday.

This is a money grab since the Coliseum tickets are much more in demand. BSE knows this.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Here we go with the bullshit. f*** this. Belmont better happen. I don’t want to here anything about stalling bullshit.

Thank god it’s coming from Botta though who doesn’t have a great track record with arena stuff lol

d0wn70wn

Dec 26, 2017
This is extremely worrisome, especially under condition of anonymity. What would be motivation to leak such info? Up until now the Belmont arena has been discussed as if it shouldn't be a problem (although on public land it's privately financed so the $$$ to build shouldn't be a problem). This really worries that new ownership wants to keep their options open to move the franchise a few years down the road. If Belmont falls through there's nowhere for them to play. NVMC (or NYCB Live/whatever) is a short-term stop-gap and hasn't had modern amenities to compete on a revenue basis. Add to that the increase in price of tickets from the last home season @ NVMC and it's a troublesome prospect as fans won't be able to support the team in that building. Not good news.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
On the other hand, it's a safety valve that means that while local opposition may stall the project, they Islanders can wait them out and bankrupt them in the process. They are already begging for donations on their facebook page. It makes it more likely, IMO, that Belmont will happen, eventually.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
On the other hand, it's a safety valve that means that while local opposition may stall the project, they Islanders can wait them out and bankrupt them in the process. They are already begging for donations on their facebook page. It makes it more likely, IMO, that Belmont will happen, eventually.
The fact that you have to say "makes it more likely " is bad. Anywhere else it wouldn't even have to be discussed. With us, our supposedly "done deal" is likely to happen.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
I am still confident this gets done. New York nothing is ever easy, especially big projects like this. I am sure there will be some delays, but I think both parties knew that delays are possible, even likely. So to have this option to play at NMVC while they work all of the issues out, in my mind, makes me happy.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Wow, not that I'm surprised, but some of you seriously need to relax. Tired of the overreaction. Some of you actually thought there would be no contingency plan in case Belmont was delayed by a season or two? This is an option, not a done deal. Geez.

Also worth noting:
One of the sources added that "It seems inevitable" that the Islanders will begin playing all games at the Coliseum as early as the 2019-20 season - pointing out the millions of dollars invested in the Coliseum to make it closer to NHL standard. "You wouldn't do that for just 60 games over three years and then, see ya."

Reactions: xECK29x

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It’s very unlikely there aren’t delays of some sort. Anyone who felt this was going to go without at least a 6-12 month delay was fooling themselves. Even if nothing political stops it you have weather issues, contractor issues where sometimes the builder or contractor for a particular portion of the facility is fired or goes under and you need a replacement and then can take weeks or months.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

'The course added: "Brooklyn is a lame-duck arena, so for the most part only Islander fans who want to go to the Coliseum all the time will be coming out to Barclays anyway," the source said. "And the players...they care about just a few things: the location, the ice, the home team locker room and where they get to park their cars. The Islander players love the Coliseum."'

Sounds like players got fed up with Brooklyn as well. It also makes sense for NHL to have the Islanders to play in one venue whenever possible

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Here we go. Now Steve55 is going to be posting Willets Point garbage.

Just an FYI---there is no delay

This is Baghdad Botta again. Who said his league sources said Tavares was a lock to stay.

When the Governor of NY is driving this home, please believe it will happen

Love how Botta says players "Love the coliseum"

8 years ago he was saying they hate it, and can't attract FA's because of it

Reactions: MJF and nyisles

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada

This is Baghdad Botta again. Who said his league sources said Tavares was a lock to stay.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Only time will tell what happens. Citi Field/Willets Point only become relevant if media outlets report news with Isles involvement.

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
guys relax, everything concerning the Belmont arena has been on schedule when it comes to meetings and hearings.

At the very beginning, the shovels in the ground were planned for this upcoming Spring. So until we do not see shovels in the ground at that time there is nothing to worry about.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

How many of the current squad even played there regularly?

Lee, Bailey, Clutterbuck, Cizikas, Boychuk, Leddy, Hickey, Nelson...am I missing anyone?

Reactions: Costigan77

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I am still confident this gets done. New York nothing is ever easy, especially big projects like this. I am sure there will be some delays, but I think both parties knew that delays are possible, even likely. So to have this option to play at NMVC while they work all of the issues out, in my mind, makes me happy.

It's actually quite easy if your name is the New York Yankees, NY Rangers, NY Giants -- or basically anyone besides the Isles. I'm sure this is one of the reasons JT left -- he saw the BS arena fantasy on the wall. Much happier at home with his nice ACC right in downtown Toronto.

eh?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
When the Governor of NY is driving this home, please believe it will happen.

Not for nothing, but Cuomo is easily the weakest part of the plan. It's starting to look more and more likely that he's going to have to fight a real primary battle vs Cynthia Nixon. Cuomo gets cursed every time there's a signal malfunction, which is basically every single day at this point. It's not even a question about whether de Blasio or Cuomo is responsible anymore - nobody believes Cuomo.

I just think it's amusing that you mention the Governor while (lol) calling Botta "Baghdad Bob" when the governor, the guy responsible for the MTA, is Baghdad Bob.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Not for nothing, but Cuomo is easily the weakest part of the plan. It's starting to look more and more likely that he's going to have to fight a real primary battle vs Cynthia Nixon. Cuomo gets cursed every time there's a signal malfunction, which is basically every single day at this point. It's not even a question about whether de Blasio or Cuomo is responsible anymore - nobody believes Cuomo.

I just think it's amusing that you mention the Governor while (lol) calling Botta "Baghdad Bob" when the governor, the guy responsible for the MTA, is Baghdad Bob.

So, no, I don't believe he is. Cynthia Nixon is not a true threat. And if she is, god bless us all. But I'm not a pollster nor in politics. I just don't read the Daily News.

Baghdad Botta is a 2005-2009 ish nickname on HF. I had a previous username which I forgot, (I believe something to do with Felix Potivn) but that used to be the joke. I'm sure the older posters would be able to fill in why he was called that. He had horrendous relations with the Isles, blew up the "Blogger Box," (DeeKarl, BD, etc) and just hated Garth. Hated Ted Nolan. Hated Brendan Witt. Hated DP. (Loved Trent Hunter....I believe?) His bulls**** was always no one wants to play at the coliseum, no one wants to coach, Wang doing his best, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->