Botta: If Belmont stalls, Islanders have option to play in Coliseum for two extra years

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I don't go to many games so its not a big deal to me, but the old arenas were all so much more fun for games. I'm sure the new arena would be nice, but the Nassau Coliseums, Boston Gardens, Maple Leaf Gardens were so great especially for hockey. I hadn't been to Nassau in a while several years ago, and after seeing games in the new giant Montreal and Boston arenas, I couldn't believe how intimate the arena was. And it rocked like the new ones can't. I wish we could hassle Tavares there.

Agree.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Unless you're sitting in the first 8 rows. Can't see **** there. The rest of the joint - including the last row - is fantastic.

What about the last row, is it still even with the second to last row? Saw game 6 against Pittsburgh in the playoffs way back then and sat there. It was brutal trying to see. Been a long time since i've been to the coliseum, but that was the worst seat i've ever had to one of the best games i've ever been to lol.

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
oh what a surprise, well I said all along if there are any delays in this Belmont thing and if Tavares is going to leave I am guessing the Islanders in New York could be f***ed as I am sure Ledecky and Malkin are going to see how awful the attendance on Long Island could be and they were wondering what they were thinking in spending a billion dollars or whatever it is going to cost in building a new arena here

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
I won't fully believe that Belmont is happening until we see shovels in the ground. With this franchise, ya just never know.
I maintained all along I did not believe this thing would get built until I am seeing an actual structure of something, just having shovels in the ground is not enough for me

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
oh what a surprise, well I said all along if there are any delays in this Belmont thing and if Tavares is going to leave I am guessing the Islanders in New York could be ****ed as I am sure Ledecky and Malkin are going to see how awful the attendance on Long Island could be and they were wondering what they were thinking in spending a billion dollars or whatever it is going to cost in building a new arena here
So the owners having a contingency plan in case there delays, helping to keep the team in New York, shows you that they want to move the team out of New York.

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
oh what a surprise, well I said all along if there are any delays in this Belmont thing and if Tavares is going to leave I am guessing the Islanders in New York could be ****ed as I am sure Ledecky and Malkin are going to see how awful the attendance on Long Island could be and they were wondering what they were thinking in spending a billion dollars or whatever it is going to cost in building a new arena here
It's not just the arena being built, it's also retail and a hotel.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
What about the last row, is it still even with the second to last row? Saw game 6 against Pittsburgh in the playoffs way back then and sat there. It was brutal trying to see. Been a long time since i've been to the coliseum, but that was the worst seat i've ever had to one of the best games i've ever been to lol.

Now that NYI have been away from NVMC for so long, the nostalgia colors people's memories. The place sucks, and we'll start hearing complaints about how much it sucks as people go to more games there. I wonder if people are going to grow nostalgic for the time the ushers would be jerks about moving up a few seats when the place is damn near empty - the very same ushers who would do jack **** about drunkards shouting in kids' faces. Or maybe when the place gets shut down midseason because asbestos is detected.

Reactions: ScaredStreit

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
Now that NYI have been away from NVMC for so long, the nostalgia colors people's memories. The place sucks, and we'll start hearing complaints about how much it sucks as people go to more games there. I wonder if people are going to grow nostalgic for the time the ushers would be jerks about moving up a few seats when the place is damn near empty - the very same ushers who would do jack **** about drunkards shouting in kids' faces. Or maybe when the place gets shut down midseason because asbestos is detected.
I hated when people who paid $5 to get in would try to move into my lower bowl section where I paid more. Glad the ushers wouldn’t let them.
It wasn’t the ushers job to take care of drunkards, that would be security. Nearly every building built before 1990 had asbestos somewhere, not exactly unique to the coli.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y

there is not a bad seat in the house, but I do agree with some of your other points.

i'm sure the Asbestos and all that was taken care of in the renovation.
maybe they will get new and improved ushers?

the thing that really baffles me is the concourse. they did not expand it one inch.

so basically if you need to goto the bath room or get concessions, good luck getting back to your seat for puck drop.

well it is what it is, hopefully Belmont gets built sooner rather than later

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I hated when people who paid $5 to get in would try to move into my lower bowl section where I paid more. Glad the ushers wouldn’t let them.
It wasn’t the ushers job to take care of drunkards, that would be security. Nearly every building built before 1990 had asbestos somewhere, not exactly unique to the coli.

You couldn't find security, the damn ushers had walkie talkies, and for the other dude I'm talking about rows in empty sections, not moving sections.

But I guess I'm not at all surprised that people who don't care about drunks shouting in kids' faces wax nostalgic about that dump.

But it's cool. I'll enjoy going to empty games at the Barc, paying $15 a ticket to have an ice view that would cost me $122 at the NVMC. And when I leave my shoes won't be sticking to the ground because it was impossible not to step on wet urine.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
there is not a bad seat in the house, but I do agree with some of your other points.

Correction - there are no bad seats in the house if you're going with your boyz and you don't give a damn about people standing up in front of you during PP's screaming "SHOOT THE **(*#%Y(*^#$( PUCK" or screaming out threats of sexual assault on opposing player and fans. You didn't pay for the view there, you paid for the environment. in the 2000's it was not much better than MSG in the 90's. And that place was a HOLE. The environment was conducive to the very worst. And if the Islanders suck for the next few years, it'll be like that again once the nostalgia wears off.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

The place is fine if its 60% of capacity -- which -- judging by JT leaving, and acquiring a bunch of 4th liners to replace him--- seems to be the roster this coming year.

No worries!

Reactions: LeapOnOver

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Correction - there are no bad seats in the house if you're going with your boyz and you don't give a damn about people standing up in front of you during PP's screaming "SHOOT THE **(*#%Y(*^#$( PUCK" or screaming out threats of sexual assault on opposing player and fans. You didn't pay for the view there, you paid for the environment. in the 2000's it was not much better than MSG in the 90's. And that place was a HOLE. The environment was conducive to the very worst. And if the Islanders suck for the next few years, it'll be like that again once the nostalgia wears off.

It's not a perfect building. Head to the bathroom and dont expect to be back for 40 minutes if you go between periods. Concourse is terrible, you're lucky if you can walk at shuffle speed when everyone is out there. But it can get loud, and you can watch hockey with great sightlines. That's what I mostly care about.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
It's not a perfect building. Head to the bathroom and dont expect to be back for 40 minutes if you go between periods. Concourse is terrible, you're lucky if you can walk at shuffle speed when everyone is out there. But it can get loud, and you can watch hockey with great sightlines. That's what I mostly care about.

I’m not sure if I’m the new setup it’s acxessible anymore if you aren’t in the lower bowl but I always used to go down to the bathrooms downstairs near where the restaurant is and where they’d often setup for pre games during the playoffs.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
I’m not sure if I’m the new setup it’s acxessible anymore if you aren’t in the lower bowl but I always used to go down to the bathrooms downstairs near where the restaurant is and where they’d often setup for pre games during the playoffs.

I started doing that only during the last year there and most times it works out better. Also for the preseason game last year I was able to head downstairs too, still worked better.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I have really zero fond memories about the building itself, only the things that happened inside it. Dislocating shoulders on the concourse, peeing my pants waiting to use the bathroom and banging my knees against the chairs in front of me were never highlights of my time there.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I dunno - the Coliseum I remember (save for Rags games) was quiet as a library with 8k ppl there. Of course for the occasional playoff game that was played there every few years - all bets were off.

I was always shocked at the dichotomy between an Islander regular season game and a playoff game. Regular season games were pleasant, tame family affair type environments. You could bring your kids no problem. Come playoff time, it was inhabited by blood thirsty gladiators (or accountants from Bellmore) who think nothing of throwing a beer at the ice for a bad offsides call.

My son was asking me why people were throwing beer bottles at the Caps after a playoff game....I think my answer was something along the lines of "Uhhhh....that's just something they do here.....but it's wrong."

Mob mentality is a funny thing.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Marshall: The hub begins to take shape

'By Randi F. Marshall[email protected] @randimarshallUpdated August 23, 2018 5:33 PM (EDT)

The Point has learned that Uniondale-based RXR Realty, headed by developer Scott Rechler, has formed a partnership with perhaps the most important player in the Hub’s redevelopment.

RXR is partnering with BSE Global, formerly known as Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment, which manages Nassau Coliseum. And Nassau County can’t move forward with the Hub redevelopment without BSE’s involvement and approval. That makes an RXR-BSE partnership a game-changer — one that could supersede any other development proposal at the Hub...

BSE’s parent, Onexim Sports & Entertainment, controls 85 percent of Nassau Events Center, which holds the Coliseum lease. A clause in that lease says the county has to “reasonably cooperate” with Nassau Events Center on any development...

This isn’t Rechler’s first effort at redeveloping the Hub. He partnered with former New York Islanders owner Charles Wang when they proposed the Lighthouse Project, a $3.8 billion plan that the town ultimately rejected...'

scott99

May 13, 2005
I won't fully believe that Belmont is happening until we see shovels in the ground. With this franchise, ya just never know.
I trust Lou Lamoriello 100%. He pretty much, after sitting in on meetings, guaranteed it’s gonna happen. I’m not worried at all. This is no longer the Wang Era, or any other era before that. We have REAL owners and REAL leadership. Belmont is gonna happen. The target was the 21-22season, Lou said he wouldn’t be shocked if it was ready sooner.

“I think you’ll know better in the first of the year of an exact date,” Lamoriello said on Sirius XM NHL Network Radio. “But it’s not as long as people might think. I think a lot will be surprised and I think that’s just great news.”

“There’s no question it will be built,” Lamoriello said of the Belmont Park arena. “I was recently in a meeting and I felt so excited because of not only the plans I’d seen before I went in there but all the participants in all the different areas that are working together with it to get it accomplished. There’s no question this will be something extraordinary for the fans and the players.”

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad