Post-Game Talk: Boston Creamed | 01/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SenatorArmy*

How do you know that EK is not better suited as a forward if he has never been given an opportunity to play a forward position?????

Because he's never played forward? You don't just take someone who's been a defenseman all their life & expect them to be able to become an NHL forward. There's more to being a forward than just offensive ability

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Just a terrible game and the reasons are obvious, imo.

Karlsson had a terrible game. Worst game I've seen him play in a while.

Lehner didn't play like Lehner and thus we looked exposed when the players knew we wouldn't get high-light reel save every other shift so they were scrambling and made them look weak.

The reality of the situation is....

Michalek on our 2nd line makes it a very weak 2nd line. Zibanejad and Chiasson can afford to be on 2nd line due to potential and ability but even then they're average 2nd liners, adding Michalek makes it a 3rd line.

Legwand's line was notoriously bad.

Hoffman's line was terrific yet again and Ryan just isn't cutting it on the top line when he isn't trying. He makes boneheaded moves sometimes and ruins momentum.

I really think this team is just much better with Pageau in the lineup. He's like another Lazar out there, tenacious, gritty and heart and soul who doesn't care who he's playing he puts in 100% effort.

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan(I'll allow him)
xxxx-Zibanejad-Chiasson
Hoffman-Lazar-Stone
Legwand-Pageau-Smith

I'm sorry but Neil is a defensive and offensive black-out.

There is no need for him unless he gets 2 mins a game. I can't count the amount of times his man on the point is wide open for a glorious shot on goal cause he's coasting or overcommitting on a useless hit some other place.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
A good example that the stats don't tell the whole story, it looked to me like Boston had their way with us throughout the entire game. Ottawa had spurts of activity in their end but it was mostly a one sided game tilted in their favour for sure. I wonder what possession time was like for them. I also wonder why this team has always had so much difficulty with competing hard every game & every shift over the yrs. We can't blame the rebuild any more, is it the system, is it the players, the coaching or what?

I'm starting to think some alien lizard people have put chemicals in the water in Ottawa to pacify the city as a precursor to a hostile takeover.

That, or our we just have a tendency to draft/trade for kinda-soft players.

Then who is going to get the puck out of the Sens end to the forwards?

What if....

What if we had 2 decent puck-moving D outside of Karlsson? Do you think his skills would translate to wing then? I mean, he can still rush the puck up the ice from the blueline as a winger.

Another case where I'd love to take a peek at a parallel universe where the Sens put him on wing in his rookie year and see what would've developed over the years.

SenatorArmy*

We should make Karlsson goalie because he is such a fast skater, he will be able to cover alot of the net & have great lateral movement

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Michalek on our 2nd line makes it a very weak 2nd line. Zibanejad and Chiasson can afford to be on 2nd line due to potential and ability but even then they're average 2nd liners, adding Michalek makes it a 3rd line.

What about switching Hoffman and Michalek?

Hoffman - Zibby - Chiasson

Michalek - Lazar - Stone

It's a risk considering the Kid Line has some nice chemistry, but if it gets the second line working like a true second line.....

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What about switching Hoffman and Michalek?

Hoffman - Zibby - Chiasson

Michalek - Lazar - Stone

It's a risk considering the Kid Line has some nice chemistry, but if it gets the second line working like a true second line.....

Exactly... but tbh I'd prefer Stone back with Turris line then put Ryan on 2nd line RW.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson
Smith-Pageau-Legwand

You know what.... that could be a terrific roster all-around. Heck... switch Lazar and Zibby.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Lazar-Ryan

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Exactly... but tbh I'd prefer Stone back with Turris line then put Ryan on 2nd line RW.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Zibanejad-Ryan
Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson
Smith-Pageau-Legwand

You know what.... that could be a terrific roster all-around. Heck... switch Lazar and Zibby.

Mac-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Lazar-Ryan

I like those lines, too. Only thing that would worry me with that is the top line not having a guy who goes hard to the net with Stone there. Lazar and Chiasson seem to be the two guys (outside of Neil) who aren't afraid to get dirty around the net, so I wouldn't want them together on the same line. Spread around that net-crashing love a bit.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like those lines, too. Only thing that would worry me with that is the top line not having a guy who goes hard to the net with Stone there. Lazar and Chiasson seem to be the two guys (outside of Neil) who aren't afraid to get dirty around the net, so I wouldn't want them together on the same line. Spread around that net-crashing love a bit.

Really? I've always seen Turris and Mac attack the net hard if they need to.

Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson would be a high powered energy line. Michalek seems to play well with guys who always play 100% better than him and he gets motivated to match their play. His best moments came on a line with Lazar and when Smith did good job centering it.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Boston missing all kinds of star players & Ottawa still couldn't get anything going although Karlsson's giveaways pretty much killed this game. Look at the makeup of this Boston team & they are mostly all big & all tough & all skilled, even Marchant who is a small guy is pretty tough. This is a good example of a big tough team & how difficult it will be to beat a team like this with small soft players in the lineup. Ottawa cannot afford to get smaller & have to get bigger, tougher & add a little more skill.
Our best line against Boston was arguably our least tough line of Hoffman - Lazar - Stone, and our worst line was our "tough" line of Smith - Legwand - Neil.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Btw, can we all give a round of applause to Cowen, that guy played a dynamic game for the first half. Different animal. You can see the potential of why management don't wanna move him yet. Although his play on 3rd goal was iffy(should have DEFINITELY challenged and probably would have got the puck).

Our best line against Boston was arguably our least tough line of Hoffman - Lazar - Stone, and our worst line was our "tough" line of Smith - Legwand - Neil.

Looool, zinggggg.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
In hindsight, Michalek and Legwand should not have been signed. They are useless and unneeded.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Really? I've always seen Turris and Mac attack the net hard if they need to.

Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson would be a high powered energy line. Michalek seems to play well with guys who always play 100% better than him and he gets motivated to match their play. His best moments came on a line with Lazar and when Smith did good job centering it.

Turris hovers around the net, but doesn't seem to get engaged physically too much. He doesn't quite have the strength to be effective doing that. Mac is decent. But Chiasson and Lazar really seem to relish that role. They really get their noses dirty in there.

Michalek-Lazar-Chiasson would be a good line, too. I just like the idea of having dirty net crashers on every line. We don't have enough skill to get enough pretty goals to win games. We need to muck around the net and pick up a lot of garbage to get enough goals.

Btw, can we all give a round of applause to Cowen, that guy played a dynamic game for the first half. Different animal. You can see the potential of why management don't wanna move him yet. Although his play on 3rd goal was iffy(should have DEFINITELY challenged and probably would have got the puck).

Looool, zinggggg.

Definitely. Cowen is progressing nicely. Definitely a guy worth hanging onto.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Time to blow it up and tank for Mcdavid

Michalek and Greening to Montreal for 4th round pick

Legwand to Oilers for 5th round pick

Phillips to Boston for future considerations

#NoHonorForConnor

P.S. I am being sarcastic

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
In hindsight, Michalek and Legwand should not have been signed. They are useless and unneeded.

i thought legwand would be better, but yeah would rather see pageau and condra maybe even greening(eventually puempel, prince or paul)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
i thought legwand would be better, but yeah would rather see pageau and condra maybe even greening(eventually puempel, prince or paul)

I pretty much saw this coming with Legwand, but I got a lot of flack for saying it. I called Legwand a 3C at best. There is a reason he finished the year on the 4th line in DET last year. He's been very underwhelming.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I still think Legwand can be used well here and be a mentor to the young guys while providing some veteran leadership from time to time.

Although I'd use someone else at the center, convert him to wing.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I still think Legwand can be used well here and be a mentor to the young guys while providing some veteran leadership from time to time.

Although I'd use someone else at the center, convert him to wing.

I agree, but it'd be nice if he'd stop these soft plays that lead to turn overs. Maybe win a key faceoff in the defensive zone for once as well. I've been disappointed with him so far to be honest. But see the value in his veteran presence.

Othello*

That Legwand line is just awful. Legwand skates like he has weights on his back and ankles, Neil is just useless I'd prefer Condra over him lol

MacArther Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanajad Chiasson
Michalek Lazar Stone
Smith Legwand Condra

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
That Legwand line is just awful. Legwand skates like he has weights on his back and ankles, Neil is just useless I'd prefer Condra over him lol

MacArther Turris Ryan
Hoffman Zibanajad Chiasson
Michalek Lazar Stone
Smith Legwand Condra

Unfortunately you can't just scratch your assistant captain

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
We need Methot badly.

I'm so unimpressed with Karlsson this year. Seriously, what happened? :(

Lehner

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa
I really hate Z. Smiths game, I dont understand why anyone likes him. Would take Pageau 100x before him, would you guys be willing to deal Smith for a pick or prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad