Boston College Eagles Fan Thread

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Should I be worried that through 2 pages of discussion there's no mention of Nick Petrecki?

I'm curious as to how he's looked this year. Sharks fans are really high on him, but most of us don't get to see anything aside from the odd BC game that ends up on ESPN

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
Went to BC..

Not much to add on Petrecki over what you already know about him. Big, skates very well for a 6'3 19 year old, and he's mean. He can join the rush, but mostly he's just a big mean defenseman that forwards don't want anything to do with. He takes some dumb penalties, and he sometimes gets called just because he's Nick Petrecki.. That'll stop once he starts playing pro hockey, though he'll probably still take some dumb penalties. The game this Saturday against rival BU is on ESPNU. BU is talented this year so the BC/BU games should be fun.

OldTimeHockey60

Nov 13, 2008
A bit off topic as it isn't related to a current player but Nathan Gerbe got called up to his NHL team Buffalo today. Pretty special for him.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
How has Jimmy Hayes been thus far?

Better than I thought he'd be in his freshman season. Considering he's so tall and dropped to 60th overall in the NHL draft, I was expecting him to be a project like Brian Boyle (Boyle skated on the 4th line as a freshman). Hayes skates well and has good balance for a young guy thats 6'5. I was listening to BU (arch rival) announcers talk about him.... they saw him play last year for the U 18 team and they commented that his skating is much better this year. He has nearly scored a couple times on wrap a rounds with his long reach. He's still getting use to the NCAA game, but he's getting better all the time. He has pretty good hands and a good shot. I've seen no major weaknesses in his game. He plays on our second line already and is starting to get some powerplay time. At this point, he looks like a pretty good pickup for the Leafs at 60th overall. He could be a monster once he packs on some muscle, but that takes time.

Its impossible to tell how quickly anyone will progress, but I don't think he'll be in school for 4 years.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Better than I thought he'd be in his freshman season. Considering he's so tall and dropped to 60th overall in the NHL draft, I was expecting him to be a project like Brian Boyle (Boyle skated on the 4th line as a freshman). Hayes skates well and has good balance for a young guy thats 6'5. I was listening to BU (arch rival) announcers talk about him.... they saw him play last year for the U 18 team and they commented that his skating is much better this year. He has nearly scored a couple times on wrap a rounds with his long reach. He's still getting use to the NCAA game, but he's getting better all the time. He has pretty good hands and a good shot. I've seen no major weaknesses in his game. He plays on our second line already and is starting to get some powerplay time. At this point, he looks like a pretty good pickup for the Leafs at 60th overall. He could be a monster once he packs on some muscle, but that takes time.

Its impossible to tell how quickly anyone will progress, but I don't think he'll be in school for 4 years.

Thank you for this and alot of us Leafs fans will get a good look at him at the WJCs!

teflonsteve

Sep 23, 2008
Fredericton
I'd rather drive to Burlington to see real games.

but I bet you can't get a good a poutine there.....

702px-Poutine.JPG

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds Defeated Boston College 5-3 Friday night in a pretty faced paced game for it being the first for both teams since xmas break. Theyre were a few Boston fans that made the track up here for the games.

Hopefully they can have some poutine today and eat it with some eskimos way up here in Canada, since the way of living is so incredibly foreign here in New Brunswick compared to New England

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I like the quotes in the Gleaner this AM.
BC coach called it "Holiday hockey"
BC goalie Muse:
Muse stopped short of calling it an upset.
"It's not about individuals, it's about team play, if a team of free agents plays better than a team of draft picks, that's the way it goes. We took it pretty seriously. We came here to win. Everywhere we go, we go to win"
Yes Cisfan, I've noticed a big difference in the way of life between New England and the Maritimes. Thinking.........................

Last edited:

Dmitri Kvartalnov

Dec 12, 2008
Watertown, MA
I was standing in line at Dunkin Donuts this morning to get my hangover helper, and I look behind me and Jerry York was standing there. Pretty random. We chatted a bit about hockey. Nice guy, that Jerry York. I wished him continued success. He said "We could use some more Kobasews." It was cool.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I was standing in line at Dunkin Donuts this morning to get my hangover helper, and I look behind me and Jerry York was standing there. Pretty random. We chatted a bit about hockey. Nice guy, that Jerry York. I wished him continued success. He said "We could use some more Kobasews." It was cool.

That's so cool. Yeah, Jerry is a real good guy, but then again so is everyone on the BC coaching staff.

Now if he could just gets his big guns scoring, I think he'd sleep better at night. That and he needs to tell Nick Petrecki straight up to get his head out of his rear and stop taking so many stupid penalties. :help: I really Nick and all, but it's been driving me crazy watching him play this year. :banghead:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
With Petrecki, it's really a case of him being too big & strong for the college game. A lot of the time, he just shoves a guy but he's so strong that the shove does a lot more damage than it really should have / he intended it to. He should be aware of this and use it to make better decisions, but I think some of his problems will be lessened by playing against bigger opponents.

TheBigZ

Dec 18, 2007
Dallas, TX
www.hfboards.com
We should have a pretty solid team this year. Plus Tommy Cross looked great for the Bruins in development camp. He is now 6'3 209 and he skates so smoothly and fast and he has a rocket of a shot. He should help out our D considering we lost what 3 or 4 guys. Muse will be solid as always so IMO it will come down to finishing games. Last year we let up on teams and it cost us in the form of ties that shouldn't have happened. That cost us a playoff bid IMO.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
We should have a pretty solid team this year. Plus Tommy Cross looked great for the Bruins in development camp. He is now 6'3 209 and he skates so smoothly and fast and he has a rocket of a shot. He should help out our D considering we lost what 3 or 4 guys. Muse will be solid as always so IMO it will come down to finishing games. Last year we let up on teams and it cost us in the form of ties that shouldn't have happened. That cost us a playoff bid IMO.

Yes, though Muse had hip surgery in the offseason and isn't going to be ready to play until November. Big question mark in goal until he is healthy. Hopefully he has a full recovery. J

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Kenny Ryan?

What is the official word on Kenny Ryan? It is my understanding that he has signed a letter of intent, but nothing beyond that. He would be arriving at BC this year wouldn't he? He did his 2 yrs at the USNTDP if I am not mistaken. Sure hope he decides to go to Windsor. Another Memorial Cup contender and solid team!

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
What is the official word on Kenny Ryan? It is my understanding that he has signed a letter of intent, but nothing beyond that. He would be arriving at BC this year wouldn't he? He did his 2 yrs at the USNTDP if I am not mistaken. Sure hope he decides to go to Windsor. Another Memorial Cup contender and solid team!

He was seen at BC for orientation a couple weeks ago, seen at BC when Brooks Orpik brought the Cup to campus, and is currently listed on BC's 09-10 roster (which I think means he signed up for classes). I don't think its very likely at this point he jumps ship to Windsor, but anything is possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00