Boston College Eagles Fan Thread

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Jimmy got an assist on the winning goal. BC was down 4-3 and came back to win 5-4.

The banner raising was fun and winning the opener added to the banner raising tonight. BC's special team did well on the PP and got a SH goal.

Wisconsin played well but BC was able to come back to take the game.

Nice job by BC last night. Bucky handed them the game on a short-handed platter. The Eagles were very good on capitalizing on their opportunities. It's also a good thing Connelly stood on his head or it could have been about 8-4. I think that will be a good learning experience for WI to see how an elite team plays together.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
I was impressed with how the Badgers played BC a tough game. This experience will benefit Wisconsin as they mature during the season. Tough being on the road early in the season as UNH also beat the Badgers.

Special teams was key to BC's win as they had 2 PP goals and 2 SH goals.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Hopefully Carey will get some playing time next game vs. Bowling Green. Hard to tell who will sit from game to game but I'd imagine York will see the freshman get playing time.

Not sure if Cam Atkinson's brother will get that much playing time unless there are injuries.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
BCeagle:

IMO, Cam is the most underrated guy in the freshman class. Everyone talks about Jimmy, Barry and Tommy, but I'm telling you, I think Cam is going to have a heckuva year. I can just feel it. Can't wait to see the Eagles play...and this year's tilts against BU should be alot of fun to watch.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Being ranked this high means you have a bullseye on your back. Every team you play will be sky high for you. NU will be our first HE game on Saturday and they're suppose to be good this year as they return most of their team.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
I was impressed with Paul Carey in Friday's game but did not see Saturday's game as I was at the football game. Did not really notice Jimmy Hayes.

BC will have to fix the special teams as they have been giving up SH goals for some reason. They like to play 5 forwards on the PP and that has its obvious pluses and minuses.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
4 SH goals against in 3 games probably means something should be done about that 5 forward PP. If it's not for those goals, BC would be outscoring their opponents this year by a more comfortable margin.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Freshman Paul Carey had a nice goal in contributing to the 3-2 win over Vermont. He went top shelf corner. It was 3-1 until Vermont got a late goal to make it closer.

BC will play Merrimack next for home and home series.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Merrimack gave BC everything they got and almost upset the Eagles. Bradford has 6 goals in 6 games.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
Hayes

Was listening to the game last night and the announcers had a lot of good things to say about Jimmy Hayes. They said he's skating with more and more confidence every game. They asked Coach York about him between periods and Coach said he's very hard working, has a heart of gold, and his teammates all really like him. Announcers said he was being heckled by the Merrimack student section and he smiled and winked at them as if he really enjoyed it.

The only freshman that might be playing better than Hayes is Paul Carey. He's going to be a stud. I'm surprised he wasn't drafted earlier than the 5th round.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
What station is the BC broadcast on? Can't seem to find them on the radio.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
I listened online. Used the link on BC's home page.

The game on the 7th against Notre Dame is on ESPN Classic if anyone gets it and wants to watch.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
It should be an interesting rematch now that Gerbe is gone. Bradford is on fire right now with 6 goals.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I saw last night's game versus Notre Dame, so here are some brief observations.

First, I thought the Eagles did a mediocre job at best, dictating play in the 2nd and 3rd periods. I mean the Irish come into their house and takes over. BC were at their best when they were able to open up the game and and take shots at will. There were times in the game they did that and IMO that set ND back. I thought Muse played fine, but the D really needs to tighten up. I can't tell you how many times I saw ND's players successfully splitting the D. But I tip my hat to the Irish, they stuck to the game plan (for the most part), controlled much of the latter two periods and won. I thought Pearce came up with some terrific saves and was one of the reasons why his team won.

Now some observations about BC's players:

It's really good to see Brock Bradford back and in top form again. I wouldn't be surprised if he is chosen as a finalist for the Hobey Baker. He has definitely shown that he's the leader and deservedly so.

Tommy Cross was one of the freshmen that really impressed me. He's a smart defensive player, covering his man really well. There were a couple small errors that he made in coverage, but nothing to get really worried about. I like the way he skates and he seems really comfortable with the puck.

Cam Atkinson was another player that I really liked (as I had hoped to). You've gotta love his tenacity and energy. He was always battling, didn't seem to mind mixing it up with the bigger ND players. He's quick and always seemed to be where the action was.

Jimmy Hayes is one player that saw some very promising things out of, but I'm still not totally convinced that he's living up to the hype that's been made of him. I thought Jimmy used his size well, especially in protecting the puck. The thing I liked most about him were his hands. He's a very good puck handler, makes some really nice passes and looked very poised with the puck.

Paul Carey was another player that I saw him very good things out of, but just hasn't wowed me yet. I really like the way Carey skates. He has some good speed and is just a really smooth skater. I was also impressed with his along the boards. He does a really good job of dictating the play in that area. He doesn't seem to be afraid to take the body either, which makes even better. I would like to see him shoot a little more though. He has a good shot, but I just felt that he was a little reluctant at various points in the game to shoot the biscuit.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Thanks for that OC! I just realized I could've watched the BC vs. Maine game today on the ESPNU channel, but then college football started.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
As painful as the D was last night, it was a really fun game. BC scores 5 unanswered goals in the second period-wow!

Carey-Smith-Hayes line looked great. IMO Hayes needs to be on the second PP unit in place of Orpik or Kucharski. He was the best player on the ice last night. Paul Carey is now on the top PP unit. I continue to think Hayes and Carey were steals in the draft.

The D needs to tighten down a lot, but this team has the potential to be scary good.

BostonCollegeFan

Nov 1, 2008
What's going on Eagles fans? Ready for a repeat?

Its possible if they are firing on all cylinders when it matters.

The freshman all look pretty good. They'll only get better as they get more confidence. Ben Smith and Benn Ferriero are both snake bitten right now. Both were big goal scorers previous years. If those guys start putting it in the net again we're gonna be tough to beat.

York has started skating 5'6 forward Joe Whitney on defense. No joking. And he doesn't really look out of place either. I guess they want someone that can rush the puck up the ice and make good passes. Though some of the other defensemen aren't bad at doing that, so its a strange move.

OldTimeHockey60

Nov 13, 2008
I'm just glad that the team has been able to bounce back and stay a top five team after losing Nathan Gerbe. It's really all about putting it all together at the right time (right around when the Hockey East tourney starts).

Do you go to BC BostonCollegeFan?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad