Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Why? And you can't mention AV.

You watch the games on TV right?

If you don't think it's AV, then explain the 3 second clips when they pan to his face and he's wiping his nose or looking at things on the bench.

Sometimes he even looks as if he said a players name, or is looking at the jumbo tron for a replay

And then tell me, you don't know his inner thoughts or his social dynamic position in a board meeting with up to 100 MSG executives.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You watch the games on TV right?

If you don't think it's AV, then explain the 3 second clips when they pan to his face and he's wiping his nose or looking at things on the bench.

Sometimes he even looks as if he said a players name, or is looking at the jumbo tron for a replay

And then tell me, you don't know his inner thoughts or his social dynamic position in a board meeting with up to 100 MSG executives.

I don't have a TV.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Any year we're good people try finding parallels with 94

Yeah if we are good but lose ----> it's 1992

If we sink, it's either 1993 or 1998

If we do bad for 1.5 years, it's 2002-2003 all the way into the Dark Ages

IF we win the cup, HA!

Fire Renney = Fire Roger Nielsen ---> Get Tort's [become Tort's Kinda guys] = Get Keenan ----> no cup ---> 1940!

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I dunno, maybe I'm too forgiving. I think it will take a couple of seasons to get back to contention again. I'm okay with that, it's part of the cycle. Cannot afford many mistakes in this rebuild.
Lots of people blaming Gorton. I don't actually think he has done a bad job. The jury is still out on Andersson and Chytil, which is how it should be (until they mark in the NHL, that is the only way to view it) but they look like good picks. The part I don't get is all these prospects in Hartford that just seem to be there forever, in suspended animation. How long should it take to make a decision on, for example, a player like Graves?
I do realize that if nobody is being held up, it doesn't really matter. Being a Rangers fan who has a 30,000 foot level knowledge of NYR prospects, I guess I am just a bit impatient. Kind of like back in the Jarko Immonen days, lol.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Guys, this is it. Like I don't know how much worse you really think the dark ages were.

Our lowest finish back then was 12th in the conference. What is this team, 11th?

The dark ages was never really about being awful in the standings. They never REALLY were. The players just never gave a crap. They signed for big money and then retired on skates. There was still enough talent/quality to JUST miss the playoffs by a handful of points, leaving those teams with no heart, no pipeline of top young talent, etc. And it went on for YEARS.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The dark ages was never really about being awful in the standings. They never REALLY were. The players just never gave a crap. They signed for big money and then retired on skates. There was still enough talent/quality to JUST miss the playoffs by a handful of points, leaving those teams with no heart, no pipeline of top young talent, etc. And it went on for YEARS.

This

I don't think people looking back understand that at the moment each one of those teams were put together , on paper , they were assumed to be virtual all-star teams.

I understand the teams were bad, and in hindsight it's easy to look a little deeper beyond the names, but the Dark Ages weren't looked at as a down year/transition period as I think the current era should be looked at now.

It was a period of unbelievably head scratching moves where 90%+ did not pan out.

Think the Gomez/Drury/Redden signings were weird?

Holik?

And on top of that, the Rangers take most of the heat, but the truth was most of the big market teams were close in payroll to the Rangers, and the league was on the verge of collapse.

Bobby Hull had already begun getting investors again for the WHL 2.0.

Also, not directly hockey related, but we are talking about a period in the metro area with 9-11 and the wars starting.

My point is there are so few parallels with the Dark Ages.

This is just a transition team with a lot of injuries and a lot of players aware they are on the chopping block on a very, very streak team.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I dunno, maybe I'm too forgiving. I think it will take a couple of seasons to get back to contention again. I'm okay with that, it's part of the cycle. Cannot afford many mistakes in this rebuild.
Lots of people blaming Gorton. I don't actually think he has done a bad job. The jury is still out on Andersson and Chytil, which is how it should be (until they mark in the NHL, that is the only way to view it) but they look like good picks. The part I don't get is all these prospects in Hartford that just seem to be there forever, in suspended animation. How long should it take to make a decision on, for example, a player like Graves?
I do realize that if nobody is being held up, it doesn't really matter. Being a Rangers fan who has a 30,000 foot level knowledge of NYR prospects, I guess I am just a bit impatient. Kind of like back in the Jarko Immonen days, lol.

The thing is the team still hasn't dropped enough in the New Era to stock those "can't miss" elites.

Unless Dolan is ok with a pure tank, which mind you, we might not get the same ahem...assistance with the tank as Super Mario did with the slot machine deals in the Steel City, Gorton's legacy is really going to be hinged on the next 2-3 UFA signings and trades as well as the overall success of RangersTown™ for up to the next decade.

Reactions: trilobyte

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
We had a top 3-5 farm before Kreider graduated. That's 7-8 years ago now.

We've botched virtually every top 10 pick we've ever had with the jury still out on Andersson.

How many top 10 picks has this team even HAD historically speaking? I can only think of a handful off the top of my head. Just went and checked. We've drafted top 10 eight times in the last 30 years. A few of those guys cobbled out decent careers (Sundstom, Malhotra, Montoya), a few were busts (Brendl and Lundmark, McIlrath), one had an unfortunate injury (Blackburn), and the other is brand new. And four of those eight "top ten" picks were in slots 8, 9, or 10:

Nik Sundstom (8), Manny Malhotra (7), Brendl (4) and Lundmark (9), Dan Blackburn (10), Al Montoya (6), McIlrath (10), and LA (7).

I think it is probably more accurate to say that this team rarely drafts high, and when they do, they mediocre at it.

Reactions: Off Sides

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
For me, it ended up being myself watching and knowing what the result would be. Nobody who cheers for any team, and puts a ton of their time into following them, starts out with a cynical view. I always waited for next season. I believed in next season. During those times when the Rangers org signed and paid players for what they had done and would not even sniff such accomplishments again, I always figured that sooner or later all the pieces would come together. I mean, how could Bobby Holik not be instantly even better than he was? How could his greatness not spread throughout the Rangers? Good lord, he is now with the New York Rangers!!
Ha. Money doesn't make players better. Not a slight against Holik at all, more a damning damnation against the stupid Rangers front office led by Sather. Bunch of arrogant, incompetent assessors of talent and team building.
There's the rub.
Thank God the Cap came.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
We’re 1-7 in our last 8, 5-11 in 2018. The only thing keeping us from being on an 0-8 run is a 6-5 cluster f*** against San Jose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad