Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins at New York Rangers 2/7/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Guys, this is it. Like I don't know how much worse you really think the dark ages were.

Our lowest finish back then was 12th in the conference. What is this team, 11th?
They were way worse just due to the longevity of the suck and lack of passion from the revolving door of failing UFA after failing UFA. I gotta admit though, this year's team reminds me ALOT of some of those dark age squads.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They were way worse just due to the longevity of the suck and lack of passion from the revolving door of failing UFA after failing UFA. I gotta admit though, this year's team reminds me ALOT of some of those dark age squads.

The prolonged lack of success was certainly the defining factor, but for most of that era, they were a fringe playoff team that was missing out in the last couple of weeks.

As far as one team, one year, I think this team is worse than any of them.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Gotta say that losing Stepan and Girardi in the room has not helped McD. Those guys may have had their warts, but they were leaders that were never replaced.
No coincidence that when we went to the finals, we had MSL and Richards, and MSL the following year, where we were 1 period again from a finals appearance. We need veteran players with character that have won, to lead the way for the young guys that will make up the next core. I don't see many, if any leaders on this club presently, besides Hank of course

I was about to make a similar comment. I am not second-guessing the moves financially, but we definitely have suffered from their leadership vacuum, along with Brassard. Mika might be well liked with his DJing, but there was something really tight knit about Brassard with Zucc and Hags. Stepan with the Wisconsin guys. MSL and his mother's death.

Gorton should just fulfill AV's prophecy of being replaced by Ruff and have Lindy be the lame-duck for the remainder of the season.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Newsflash--it's not just the coach. That's a team not playing with any pride. AV should not be coaching this team next year but I ain't going to feel sorry to see a lot of these players go out the door with him.
You're absolutely right. It's not just the coach. But, when your team is getting blown out every game and so many players are dogging it, that reflects on the coach as well. And the simple fact that it has always been easier to make a coaching change than to turn over your entire roster.

The job of the GM needs to be to sort out who the real bad apples on the team are, and who could flourish under a new coach and maybe deserves another chance.

I just don't see how McDonagh makes it past the draft without being traded. The captaincy has been nothing but a burden for him, but you can't very well strip him of it. Better to try and maximize his value in a trade. In retrospect, I think the losses of Girardi and Stepan were tough on him. Those two were the types to speak up and express genuine dissatisfaction. McDonagh has always been hesitant to give strong, critical answers to tough questions regarding effort and compete level.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You must not have been old enough to actually have experienced the dark ages if you think this is even comparable.

I remember the dark ages, and people exaggerate it because we were all younger at the time.

The downright horrid teams were really only '03 and '04.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What's different?

This is one of the worst teams in the league.

3 regulation wins in 19 games.

You're not serious are you?

The dark ages saw the front office for this team keep on attempting to buy its way into the playoffs (while adding players at the deadline when they had no business adding.) This was an annual thing until 2004.

This team is the way they are right now for many reasons, one of them being the sheer number of assets they traded when they were in a position to contend. The FO realizes that and is going to attempt to do something about it. The situations aren't even close to similar.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
What was different about the Dark Ages was that awful feeling that the rest of the league, and indeed your own hockey loving friends, were right in laughing at the New York Rangers attempt to buy success with their fatter wallet.
Depth of pain, volume of pain, and length of pain, truly do distinguish the renowned Dark Ages of the Rangers.
But I gotta say, it has that same in-game feeling lately.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
What's different?

This is one of the worst teams in the league.

3 regulation wins in 19 games.

The albatross contracts. I remember the dark ages were defined by bad contracts. At least now there are ways out of bad contracts.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're not serious are you?

The dark ages saw the front office for this team keep on attempting to buy its way into the playoffs (while adding players at the deadline when they had no business adding.) This was an annual thing until 2004.

This team is the way they are right now for many reasons, one of them being the sheer number of assets they traded when they were in a position to contend. The FO realizes that and is going to attempt to do something about it. The situations aren't even close to similar.

Adding when we had no business adding sounds exactly like this team the last couple of years.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
The prolonged lack of success was certainly the defining factor, but for most of that era, they were a fringe playoff team that was missing out in the last couple of weeks.

As far as one team, one year, I think this team is worse than any of them.
Being mired in mediocrity was also a terrible feeling. Finishing just out of the playoffs and getting a middle round 1st is a terrible result year after year. No hope. At least if this ream truly blows the rest of this season we can look forward to the draft.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
What was different about the Dark Ages was that awful feeling that the rest of the league, and indeed your own hockey loving friends, were right in laughing at the New York Rangers attempt to buy success with their fatter wallet.
Depth of pain, volume of pain, and length of pain, truly do distinguish the renowned Dark Ages of the Rangers.

Yea that was my only original point. Obviously the total situations / management are very different. But the on-ice play, and steady flat lining of it to boot feels damn close.

You know if all we have to piss on each other about in PGTs is if "this is like the dark ages" we're in a bad spot.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Bingo. If this team plays like the way they have been playing times 4-5 years and 3-4 different coaches in a coaching carousel then we will have dark ages 2.0

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Adding when we had no business adding sounds exactly like this team the last couple of years.

Yeah except this team was firmly in a playoff spot when they added the last 2 years. The dark age teams were always out of it by the time the deadline came round.

The situations, no matter how hard you try to compare them, aren't close to the same.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yeah except this team was firmly in a playoff spot when they added the last 2 years. The dark age teams were always out of it by the time the deadline came round.

The situations, no matter how hard you try to compare them, aren't close to the same.

They're not the same because the dark ages teams were mediocre but none of the dark ages teams were as bad as this one.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I also wouldn't be surprised if the trade rumors are also playing a role at this point. Guys know the axe is looking, it's an all around crappy situation

Reactions: cheech70
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad