Post-Game Talk: Boston 2 - Devils 1 (SO)

Officer Rod Farva

Pump is Life
Feb 12, 2010
I thought we were solid, not good, but solid tonight. Volch had his best game of the year. Zid started out bad but got it back together. Sal was pretty good. Anderson didn't look like a liability. a gassed line and an unlucky break led to that goal.

take the point in Boston errday the week

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
So Greene's back in the **** house again? lol...who knows, maybe he's worried about getting traded. Or maybe he - just like everyone else - is still rusty.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Loved Chico giving it to whoever threw **** at Hedberg. He called them jerks!:laugh: This is what Chico is like in real life. He would be a fun poster on this board if he didn't make his identity known! I can assure you that much about him.:laugh:

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
I can't complain too badly about that game. Typically, Devils vs. Bruins games are good ones, and I don't think this was an exception.

Thing I really liked seeing was the smart positioning a lot of the defensemen employed throughout. They usually had their bodies in the right place, but also their sticks as well, used them very intelligently to cut down shooting or passing lanes.

Still, I'm not liking our trouble with breaking out the zone a lot of the time. Some of that is still rust, along with missing a skater like Parise, but they definitely need to get more mobile all-around while in the neutral zone. We shall see.

Tough luck in the shootout, though, Moose looked like he had that second one that went in, and Josefson's attempt really was pretty close. And honestly, some tough luck in regulation, too: Rask was very strong, and we got yet ANOTHER ringer off the iron at an inopportune time, this time on Patty's shot.

All in all, this was an improvement over the 3rd period vs. Washington and some of Sunday night's game, but once you're in a shootout it's often a crapshoot. Take the positives from this one and take any and all aggression out on the Isles and Pens coming up. 3-0-2 start, I'll still definitely take it.

GDDevils*

I thought this was one of our best efforts so far. Players were backing each other up and were sound positionally. I like the look of our first few power plays, using the middleman and to relieve pressure off of the point is a good addition. Anderson didn't look out of place and Barch is much better than Jansen. I'm not disappointed with result it was a solid effort and there was less sloppiness then the first few games. The only thing I was disappointed in was choosing Zidlicky for the shootout.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
How did Anderson play? Is he good enough to be relied upon as depth in case of injuries?
Or did he just fill a spot because we had no one else.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Team played better than it did previously.
Played a better team than previous 4 games.
Nabbed a point in a game that many were predicting to be a beating.

I think we're ok.

Slot Henrique in with Zajac & Kovy when he comes back.
Slide up Bernier to Josefson's wing, sign Darche.

Trade for another winger for Josefson's line.

With minimal amount of moves, and not even asking too many of them to overperform... that's still some ok depth. Only a few teams are productively rolling 4 lines right now.

kiwidevil

What are everyone's opinions on Anderson? What are his strengths and weakness's?

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Road point against the best team in the east at the moment, I'll take it. Sucks to be leading that long and let it slip away but it is what it is. A few mistakes were covered by Moose today but he should have had the one goal against. We need more scoring but that's nothing new. Looking forward to the return of Henrique.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
yada yada yada
a little smoke - sure fine - you guys might be my favourite HF fanbase. Best 'out of town scoreboard', and a little more smoke.
Never bet against Brodeur.
I hope the last four are y'all, Jets, Isle and the Bruins

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Road point against the best team in the east at the moment, I'll take it. Sucks to be leading that long and let it slip away but it is what it is. A few mistakes were covered by Moose today but he should have had the one goal against. We need more scoring but that's nothing new. Looking forward to the return of Henrique.

The puck changed direction off Tallinder's stick so I don't fault him for the goal. The Marchand goal in the shootout was bad, but we were goners by that point with who was had to choose from in the shootout!:laugh:

Anderson wasn't a liability out there like Janssen. I liked him better than Sestito too that's for damn sure. Pretty good call up who can take a competent shift, and he almost had a goal tonight.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The Josefson love-fest on here is getting out of hand. On what planet is he "sensational defensively"? He gave the puck up multiple times tonight and directly cost us a goal against Montreal. As another poster said on here, he isn't strong on the puck and his offense is atrocious. I think Jo is good on the PK, but I'm pretty sure he isn't going to be anything more than a 4th line center, maybe 3rd.

Josefson has been starting in the offensive zone less than 40% of the time. He's 21 years old and being used like he's John Madden. Any tiny bit of offense we've seen out of him has been a complete bonus seeing as how he's getting the tough starts more than anyone on the team (literally...and that's including defensemen) and has yet to take more than 3 shifts in a row with the same line.

I don't think people should be high or low on Josefson at this point. I feel like I can't even be sure what I've seen from him so far. Have patience with the kid.

Last edited:

Wyrmidon

Mar 5, 2011
New Haven, CT
By far the best game the Devils have played this season. My only complaints would be Josefson and Clarkie on the shootout, both were extremely predictable and Rask didn't bite at all against them. And maybe Tallinder could have closed the gap on Krejci, but that just happens from time to time. PP was starting to look decent tonight too, considering how well Boston's PK has been.

What are everyone's opinions on Anderson? What are his strengths and weakness's?

Just finished watching the game; I thought Anderson played well tonight. He had a very nice deflection that went just wide and a few more slight chances. I didn't really notice him out there on the whole though, which is fine. If we didn't have the Carter/Gionta/Bernier line (who are ideally the 4th) I wouldn't be opposed to him being a regular on the 4th based on this game/being on the 4th until we get some better depth. I think he needs to be more physical for his role though.

That could just be from the fact that it's his first game as a call-up, but I think he's earned another game on the 4th line.

TL;DR - Alright offensively, decent defensively, needs to be more physical.

Edit - Forgot to mention, but Moose playing the puck tonight was terrifying. I hope he doesn't play out that much regularly this season or my heart may give out before season's end.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The puck changed direction off Tallinder's stick so I don't fault him for the goal. The Marchand goal in the shootout was bad, but we were goners by that point with who was had to choose from in the shootout!:laugh:

Anderson wasn't a liability out there like Janssen. I liked him better than Sestito too that's for damn sure. Pretty good call up who can take a competent shift, and he almost had a goal tonight.

Maybe I need to watch it again, but did it really change direction that much? It still looked like one he could of stopped. Think Chico called it a change up because it was not hard hit at all. From Moose's reaction he felt he should of had it too, especially after stopping MUCH harder shots only minutes before.

Moose was still excellent tonight, but those two were a bit weak. Lurked around here long enough to know if Marty had given that up some fool would of pulled out the old "Marty is done" thread.

Guess I am sore because after being so awesome all night it bugs me such a lame one beat him. Oh well.

Good news is both our old geezer goalies look sharp as all hell. I like to think of this team as a work in progress, that tonight's lineup is not the one we will be icing in April. Having our goalies look like this though is a great sign. I still believe as long as Lou provides this team can go places.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe I need to watch it again, but did it really change direction that much? It still looked like one he could of stopped. Think Chico called it a change up because it was not hard hit at all. From Moose's reaction he felt he should of had it too, especially after stopping MUCH harder shots only minutes before.

Moose was still excellent tonight, but those two were a bit weak. Lurked around here long enough to know if Marty had given that up some fool would of pulled out the old "Marty is done" thread.

Guess I am sore because after being so awesome all night it bugs me such a lame one beat him. Oh well.

Good news is both our old geezer goalies look sharp as all hell. I like to think of this team as a work in progress, that tonight's lineup is not the one we will be icing in April. Having our goalies look like this though is a great sign. I still believe as long as Lou provides this team can go places.
Haha Marty gave up a similar one last year that changed direction off of Tallinder's stick, and everyone erupted on here. I forgot what game it was, but I do remember that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No way, Moose is staying right here. Having such a good reliable back up to our old starter is very valuable, plus we wouldn't of given him two years if we planned to ship him out. Guy just bought a house in Jersey I think.

I know we all talk about how CBGB needs to go back to being our 4th line, and I agree but they did have a rather solid game tonight. They got hemmed in once I recall, but overall they were forechecking and cycling and putting some good pressure on the Bruins, created a few chances too. Always amazes me watching Gio being able to play as hard as he does around the monsters Boston sends out there. They are a huge team.

Also after spending like what, 5 pages trying to figure out whether JJ is good or not. Let us change the subject and talk about someone I think we can all agree had an excellent night. Damn did Clarkson look good. Felt like everytime he was out there, especially in the 2nd. Played tough like always but he looked really good on the puck and was creating chances.

I am really starting to buy that Clarkson has arrived and last season was not a fluke. Something that is great news for us.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
NMC.

Man Clarkson is playing awesome.
Call me crazy but I`m not worried about him leaving. He`s a loyal guy and has a great relationship with Lou. I`m sure they`ll find a way. And if he keeps playing like this, I honestly have no problem giving him what he deserves. Atta boy Clarkie!

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
any chance moose could be a valuable trade asset?

Moose wouldn't waive especially if we are a playoff team he wanted the NMC and 2nd year as security and made that clear to Lou that he doesn't want to play anywhere else he loves NJ and loves living in NJ.

We have the best back-up in hockey no reason to want to move him.

kiwidevil

Call me crazy but I`m not scared about him leaving. He`s a loyal guy and has a great relationship with Lou. I`m sure they`ll find a way. And if he keeps playing like this, I honestly have no problem giving him what he deserves. Atta boy Clarkie!

Yeah, definitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad