Post-Game Talk: Boston 2 - Devils 1 (SO)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm just complaining about the lack of scoring right now. Not who Pete used in the shootout though the lineup did tell you how thin we are. Last year we would have had Zach, and Sykie before it got to Zids and Josefson.:laugh:

The defense is great, the coaching is great, the PK has picked up where it left off last regular season. The PP uhh well it got us a point tonight. The goaltending has been elite (**** off ''Marty isn't a top 10 goaltender anymore'' naysayers) it's the scoring we're missing. It's been good, but in a game like this we could have used more. Can't expect Clarkie to score in every game.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Road.jpg

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I would agree with Boston being the class of the east. They have incredible depth on forward and defense. Hamilton looks like a stud out there. The Devils had them on the ropes and sorely needed an insurance goal somewhere in the 3rd. Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson is a dynamite second line right now and should probably remain untouched if possible. Henrique with Zajac and Kovy makes that line much more dangerous. Then it comes down to filling the holes on the 3rd line. Josefson as center but who on the wings?

kiwidevil

I don't know how anyone could criticize the shootout choices. The first four guys are literally the only four guys on the roster that took shootout attempts last year, and everyone else is basically just pick them out of a hat and pray. When Henrique gets back the initial few choices get better at that point.

At least Bergfors 'had' a good streak of scoring over a 25-game stretch, we could use that in a short season, if it's Butler or whomever.

I'm not insulting Bergfors at all. He played his part. More of the fact of this fan base, that expects guaranteed production from him as if he is a Kovalchuk waiting down there that Lou refuses to bring up.

The reason Lou has him in the minors is because he and his crew don't believe he is NHL material right now.

OOOOIIIO

Binary
Jul 25, 2010
Nashua, NH
That was a tough game to be at... Tough break on their goal, looked terrible from ice level, you just kept expecting the next pass to be broken up but nope. We need forward depth... badly, and the time for waiting is over. In 5 games we arent going to magically grow another forward.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not insulting Bergfors at all. He played his part. More of the fact of this fan base, that expects guaranteed production from him as if he is a Kovalchuk waiting down there that Lou refuses to bring up.

Butler's not a Kovalchuk, but he at least gives you 'some' hope of scoring that the other guys we're currently running out as fill-ins don't. That's the thing, people aren't calling for Butler because he's neccesarily going to be that great, but there's literally nothing else in-house to fill in that's anything more than a Sestito-type.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't know what's wrong with wanting Butler up. Let's be serious, he's the best option we have in the system right now I think. It's either him, or make a trade.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm just complaining about the lack of scoring right now. Not who Pete used in the shootout though the lineup did tell you how thin we are. Last year we would have had Zach, and Sykie before it got to Zids and Josefson.:laugh:

As much as I didn't really buy into bringing Sykora back I have to admit the thought crossed my mind he'd have been no worse than fifth choice tonight in the shootout lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

The reason Lou has him in the minors is because he and his crew don't believe he is NHL material right now.

And Anderson is? Tedenby? The goon squad? Even Matteau, they played him fewer than ten minutes every game. Not like they trust any of those guys with major minutes.

Role players are nice but we have too many of them and not enough of guys that can actually create offense.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I want Matteau gone. He's done a good job, but it's a waste to use a year on his entry level to only play him under 10 minutes every game.

He's done a good job don't get me wrong. As somebody else said though it's a waste in the salary cap era. Then if he plays in the AHL next year or is slow to develop you gotta think about. Also if he's not proven NHL ready to get a one way contract in two Summers from now, then he's not exempt from waivers either correct?

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I want Matteau gone. He's done a good job, but it's a waste to use a year on his entry level to only play him under 10 minutes every game.

And who replaces Matteau? The great Mattias Tedenby or Tim Sestito!?!

I wouldn't send him down. Aside from a few rookie mistakes I've been really impressed by the kid and he deserves a roster spot.

kiwidevil

And Anderson is? Tedenby? The goon squad? Even Matteau, they played him fewer than ten minutes every game. Not like they trust any of those guys with major minutes.

Role players are nice but we have too many of them and not enough of guys that can actually create offense.

I trust the way Lou handles this team. If he was lighting the world on fire he would be up.

I wonder if we would even be mentioning Butler's name if he didn't have that hot week or two in the AHL.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I trust the way Lou handles this team. If he was lighting the world on fire he would be up.

I wonder if we would even be mentioning Butler's name if he didn't have that hot week or two in the AHL.

People were talking about Butler before the season, even Lou himself said he'd have an opportunity to compete for a spot in the top six. Plus Butler 'has' played in the NHL before, albeit badly last year after his good scoring spurt two years ago.

Darche, otherwise why has he been hanging around without a contract?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think in a random regular season game that the Penguins may give us problems and probably go around .500 against them this year.

But in a series against them, I'm definitely ok in the playoffs. Their top talent is better than our but I take our depth over theirs every day of the week. Plus I like our system and D and Goaltending more.

Rangers are going to be good again but I don't know how they will make it without a trade as well. Their bottom depth players are nonexistant.

I wouldn't trust the Penguin's D in the playoffs at all, we said that in last year's playoffs, the entire offseason as well (why it made no sense for them to be so crazy for Parise and not for someone like Suter). They aren't going anywhere.

apice3*

"We're gonna get killed by Boston."

Devils lose skills competition to Bruins and walk away with a point after a 2-1 shootout loss.

"OMGGGG WE'RE SOOOOO BAD"

No need to read through any more of this garbage. Some pretty terrible posters have emerged the last year or so.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I wouldn't send him down. Aside from a few rookie mistakes I've been really impressed by the kid and he deserves a roster spot.

Probably Darche. No reason to waste a year off his entry level to play him less than 10 minutes. Darche will likely see more than that. Even if not there's still no reason to waste a year on our first round pick from last year. This isn't Rod Pelley or some Joe Schmo off the street.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
"We're gonna get killed by Boston."

Devils lose skills competition to Bruins and walk away with a point after a 2-1 shootout loss.

"OMGGGG WE'RE SOOOOO BAD"

No need to read through any more of this garbage. Some pretty terrible posters have emerged the last year or so.

I actually thought this thread was pretty conservative. If Marty played this thread would be a lot worse. ''Marty why you let in softy?'':laugh:

I think it went off Tallinder's stick though. Why is is not alright to worry about the teams forward depth? If It's the people complaining about the shootout choices, or saying our defense is fugly I understand.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Haha good call apice.

What was our line up the start of last season?

I still don't understand why you're acting like it's stupid to be concerned about the lack of offense, or the people who want Butler up. If it's the people complaining about Moose, or the shootout, or those people saying the defense is fugly (Which is in the other thread) I understand. No one is in here saying the sky is falling. I think most of us are a little concerned about the forward depth. That's all.

Is it the Matteau thing? I've seen a lot of respected people on here say the same thing about his entry level, and not being worth it in the salary cap era. This isn't the first time or first game it's been said.

kiwidevil

I still don't understand why you're acting like it's stupid to be concerned about the lack of offense, or the people who want Butler up. If it's the people complaining about Moose, or the shootout, or those people saying the defense is fugly (Which is in the other thread) I understand. No one is in here saying the sky is falling. I think most of us are a little concerned about the forward depth. That's all.

Is it the Matteau thing? I've seen a lot of respected people on here say the same thing about his entry level, and not being worth it in the salary cap era. This isn't the first time or first game it's been said.

We are going to evolve over the season, just like last one. Pete and Lou are evaluating the team and seeing what is needed and what is available. The almighty Rangers have .27 more goals than us a game. A bit of patience and trust is needed. Last year showed a lot of people that Lou knows better.

I agree that Matteau should return to juniors. He is an all around player but his offense needs to develop.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Haha good call apice.

What was our line up the start of last season?

Similar to what it is now, only with Parise instead of Zajac, but at least Zajac was coming out of the bullpen late in the year. I don't understand why people have to constantly compare it with last year's lineup, you're not getting Parise at 'any' point this year, that automatically is going to make it worse in the postseason without a noteworthy addition.

If the goal's to be similar to early last season's team, that's not a very optomistic goal. Last year they would have been in major trouble early if not for being money in the shootout. Even with that, they were still on the playoffs bubble after 2/3 of the season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We are going to evolve over the season, just like last one. Pete and Lou are evaluating the team and seeing what is needed and what is available. The almighty Rangers have .27 more goals than us a game. A bit of patience and trust is needed. Last year showed a lot of people that Lou knows better.

I agree that Matteau should return to juniors. He is an all around player but his offense needs to develop.

Alright fair enough.

And to Devils Dominion no it's not time to deal Greene. He probably has the most value out of anyone aside from Larsson obviously. No reason to send him away though as we'll probably lose a lot of defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad