Post-Game Talk: Boston 2 - Devils 1 (SO)

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I will say getting a point against the number one seeded team in the east at their arena with our backup goal (which hasn't played for months) is fantastic. It still sucks when the Devils are a few minuets from winning. I think a lot of the blame is placed on coaching. We do have "OK" scoring and a improving power play, stir-in a great team defense and we have a shot. Too many penalties, slow starts, to the bs choices for the shoot out tonight. I get the point of having one tough guy to spread the love, but two blockheads.

All in All it was a good game against a good team.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If we could get the PP working I think we can do a lot better in games, and we'd be scoring a lot more goals. We've gotten plenty of practice on it during games right now already!:laugh:

It's funny we've scored PP goals in 4 straight games now. 2 of them were two man advantages though.

Give the PP a little credit man. That was a legit goal against a PK that was perfect up until that point. It isn't there yet, but it is looking better with each game, especially compared to how god awful it looked game 1.

I really think the odds of a legit top line forward coming are slim, and if we do get one everyone is just going to ***** the price was to much, which is foolish. I still think a 2nd line forward is much more likely to slot Clarkson down. Something like

Zubes - Zajac - Kovy
Elias - Henrique - ???
??? - Yayo - Clarkson

Third line spot filled by someone on merit, or a small trade like the Poni trade from last year. Don't get me wrong I would love a real talent to put on that top line and slot Zubes down to the 2nd line. That would make us extremely dangerous, but it is going to cost us quite a bit I'd imagine, and I don't think its the end of the world if we just got a solid 2nd line winger.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
I need to see the play again but I still think it's ridiculous to say Tallinder was at fault on the last goal.

Zajac is mainly at fault on that one - he made a bad change on their rush in the neutral zone, Krejci was his guy and granted Zajac was gassed, but Krejci skated through the neutral zone and over the blue line alone and had an easy pass to Horton

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Give the PP a little credit man. That was a legit goal against a PK that was perfect up until that point. It isn't there yet, but it is looking better with each game, especially compared to how god awful it looked game 1.

I really think the odds of a legit top line forward coming are slim, and if we do get one everyone is just going to ***** the price was to much, which is foolish. I still think a 2nd line forward is much more likely to slot Clarkson down. Something like

Zubes - Zajac - Kovy
Elias - Henrique - ???
??? - Yayo - Clarkson

Third line spot filled by someone on merit, or a small trade like the Poni trade from last year. Don't get me wrong I would love a real talent to put on that top line and slot Zubes down to the 2nd line. That would make us extremely dangerous, but it is going to cost us quite a bit I'd imagine, and I don't think its the end of the world if we just got a solid 2nd line winger.
I wonder what Tallinder + Urbom, and a pick, or even Fayne + Urbom+ pick would get us?

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I think the reason a lot of us are frustrated is because we could actually RIDICULOUSLY easily be 5-0-0 right now. Late bad goal and unlucky shootout tonight... Kovy hitting the post in overtime on Sunday.

It would be a lot easier to accept that the team is rusty/missing a few parts if they were losing games 4-2, 3-1, and so on.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wonder what Tallinder + Urbom, and a pick, or even Fayne + Urbom+ pick would get us?

I'd much rather see what Talli + Urbom gets us as I'd rather Fayne stay right here. Depending on the market we should be able to get something decent with that, but I definitely wouldn't know.

I'd wager Zubes will be back on the 1st line Thursday as there isn't really anyone to experiment with up there if Matteau is gone. That was really all that Tedy and Matteau on the 1st line amounted to, just experiments to see what the kid had to offer, and if Tedy could do anything.

kiwidevil

I think the reason a lot of us are frustrated is because we could actually RIDICULOUSLY easily be 5-0-0 right now. Late bad goal and unlucky shootout tonight... Kovy hitting the post in overtime on Sunday.

It would be a lot easier to accept that the team is rusty/missing a few parts if they were losing games 4-2, 3-1, and so on.

So you wish we were playing worse? That would make you fell better?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Zajac is mainly at fault on that one - he made a bad change on their rush in the neutral zone, Krejci was his guy and granted Zajac was gassed, but Krejci skated through the neutral zone and over the blue line alone and had an easy pass to Horton

And Kovy had a chance to end the play and flubbed it too. Probably from being gassed as well.

But as Tallinder, and I might not be recalling this play correctly here, I don't ever want to see him take the outside guy to let the inside one roam free. You don't play between them cause you cover no one. It apparently hit his stick and went through though? I'm not going to hate on him for that.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd much rather see what Talli + Urbom gets us as I'd rather Fayne stay right here. Depending on the market we should be able to get something decent with that, but I definitely wouldn't know.

I'd wager Zubes will be back on the 1st line Thursday as there isn't really anyone to experiment with up there if Matteau is gone. That was really all that Tedy and Matteau on the 1st line amounted to, just experiments to see what the kid had to offer, and if Tedy could do anything.
I'd rather keep Fayne too, but depending what he brings back I'm comfortable with moving him. Tallinder is definitely more expendable to me though. Fayne is on a good contract though.

I can see Zubrus going back to the 1st, but who replaces him on the 2nd? It's gonna be a shakeup. Why do I keep thinking Tedenby will be back up until Henrique gets back? It's a daydream nightmare that I keep having!:laugh::laugh:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think we'll see the most amount of Islander fans ever at The Rock on Thursday night. More than the usual 200 or so.

They are coming off a huge road win and have played good hockey this season.

Hopefully we'll see the Devils play a full 60 minute game and create and convert more chances than tonight.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Well I think the problem there is that a lot of people just refuse to give the team any sort of credit. We definitely are rusty, not sharp, and missing a few pieces. People just seem to forget there is still a lot of talent on this team, not to mention it is in a good system with great heart and work ethic. We never were the New Jersey Parise & Friends despite what ESPN and the main board likes to think. I just get annoyed because some of the stuff being posted on here is stuff I expect out of the main board, not this one.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
And Kovy had a chance to end the play and flubbed it too. Probably from being gassed as well.

But as Tallinder, and I might not be recalling this play correctly here, I don't ever want to see him take the outside guy to let the inside one roam free. You don't play between them cause you cover no one. It apparently hit his stick and went through though? I'm not going to hate on him for that.

Yea you can't blame Tallinder there, could he have blocked the shooting lane better? Perhaps, but on contact like Tallinder had with that shot, there isn't much you can do about that

I was impressed compared to the previous 4 games with how we played tonight

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We could also be winless right now too though. Marty was our best player the first four games. He stole us a point against Montreal, and we scored a couple flukey goals, and a penalty shot against the Flyers while Marty took care of the rest. Marty played well enough to get the shutout if we didn't play the whole 3rd period on the PK against the Caps.

There's post hits in almost every game, so I don't analyze them. The only post I literally want back is Kovy late in game 2 of the tie game against LA in the SCF. :(

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'd rather keep Fayne too, but depending what he brings back I'm comfortable with moving him. Tallinder is definitely more expendable to me though. Fayne is on a good contract though.

I can see Zubrus going back to the 1st, but who replaces him on the 2nd? It's gonna be a shakeup. Why do I keep thinking Tedenby will be back up until Henrique gets back? It's a daydream nightmare that I keep having!:laugh::laugh:

Unless Pete decides for some weird reason to play Anderson up there. I'd wager Tedy or Butler plays on the 2nd line until Henrique gets back. Yes it is a nightmare that never ever ends. Unless Matteau actually stays here, I am not expecting that, but it would throw things a bit.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unless Pete decides for some weird reason to play Anderson up there. I'd wager Tedy or Butler plays on the 2nd line until Henrique gets back. Yes it is a nightmare that never ever ends. Unless Matteau actually stays here, I am not expecting that, but it would throw things a bit.

I still think he might sign Darche though. The nightmare is Tedenby coming back this week, and going to Albany being a scare!:laugh: I remember Palmieri going out of our lineup to Albany, and back last year in like the same week!:laugh:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Wow a lot of negativity going on in here. After a bit of a rough start I thought they played fairly well against a strong team. Still a bit sloppy but getting better. Moose was great, too bad they couldn't get the two points but I'll take this no problem.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Well I think the problem there is that a lot of people just refuse to give the team any sort of credit. We definitely are rusty, not sharp, and missing a few pieces. People just seem to forget there is still a lot of talent on this team, not to mention it is in a good system with great heart and work ethic. We never were the New Jersey Parise & Friends despite what ESPN and the main board likes to think. I just get annoyed because some of the stuff being posted on here is stuff I expect out of the main board, not this one.

Well the reason I have a hard time giving them credit is because I look at the forward lineup we brought into the finals last year:

Parise-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-Zubrus
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Then look at tonight's lineup:

Matteau-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Zubrus-Elias-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier
Barch-Josefson-Anderson

I cringe when I see each line step on the ice. Yet for some ridiculous reason (probably Marty and Moose), the team is doing quite well. Zidlicky and Greene have been shaky. Tallinder and Volchenkov look really slow. Larsson is in the press box. Our most productive offensive prospect is being passed over consistently (Butler).

I get it. We aren't replacing Parise. I don't expect that to happen. Plus we are missing one of our best forwards with Henrique. Here's the lineup I see:

???????-Zajac-Kovalchuk
Elias-Henrique-???????
Zubrus-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier
Barch (MUCH better than Janssen)

So who fills those holes? Butler can be one. If the lineup is as deep as it could be, there's less pressure on him. Pittsburgh looked terrible tonight... but there's a stretch where the Devs play them three times in two weeks. I just personally don't feel like the team is prepared to face Pittsburgh and the Rangers.

kiwidevil

I just don't get the anger. We have a possible 8 of ten points. Lead the division have only lost in extra time and a shoot out to Montreal and then the best team in the Eastern conference. A lot of years we start out so poorly and don't even figure in the race until the 15th game.

The defence is holding pretty well and the offence is getting just enough done to get the W or a point. What out of that is anything we couldn't have predicted?

Henrique is back soon and you know Lou won't want Larsson to sit for much longer.

It seems as if all faith is lost in Lou and Pete the second we lose in a shootout to the class of the East. The classic being "why would you put him in the shootout?" When if said scores no credit is given. Very fickle.

Oh and Butler is the next "Call up Bergfors!!!"

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
I just don't get the anger. We have a possible 8 of ten points. Lead the division have only lost in extra time and a shoot out to Montreal and then the best team in the Eastern conference. A lot of years we start out so poorly and don't even figure in the race until the 15th game.

The defence is holding pretty well and the offence is getting just enough done to get the W or a point. What out of that is anything we couldn't have predicted?

Henrique is back soon and you know Lou won't want Larsson to sit for much longer.

It seems as if all faith is lost in Lou and Pete the second we lose in a shootout to the class of the East. The classic being "why would you put him in the shootout?" When if said scores no credit is given. Very fickle.

Seriously. You'd think this team was performing like the Panthers.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think in a random regular season game that the Penguins may give us problems and probably go around .500 against them this year.

But in a series against them, I'm definitely ok in the playoffs. Their top talent is better than our but I take our depth over theirs every day of the week. Plus I like our system and D and Goaltending more.

Rangers are going to be good again but I don't know how they will make it without a trade as well. Their bottom depth players are nonexistant.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I think it was dumb to put Josefson in the shootout, but other than that there isn't a whole ton you can do with what was on the bench. Henrique is not shootout king either. Just the way it rolls.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Oh and Butler is the next "Call up Bergfors!!!"

I don't know how anyone could criticize the shootout choices. The first four guys are literally the only four guys on the roster that took shootout attempts last year, and everyone else is basically just pick them out of a hat and pray that someone brings a Marek Malik move out of nowhere. When Henrique gets back the secondary choices get better at that point.

At least Bergfors 'had' a good streak of scoring over a 25-game stretch, we could use that in a short season, if it's Butler or whomever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad