Confirmed Trade: [BOS/NJD] Marcus Johansson (40% retained) for 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 4th round pick

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Marcus Johansson is 38th in PPG for LWers who have played at least 30 games this season, 37th in GPG(31st and 33rd over the last 3 seasons).

Even if you say there are only 25 true 1st line caliber and 25 true 2nd line caliber LWs he's still easily falls into the second category this season and in recent history. This is all while dealing with a couple concussions throughout this time.

He has played in the top 6 on multiple different playoff teams, has 8 points in his last 16 playoff games, and 15 in his last 28. He is 21st in playoff PPG for LWs since 2015-16. Even if there are only 12 true top liners and 24 true 2nd line LWers in the POs he's still in there.

For reference, Mark Stone has 13 points in 27 playoff games, Nyquist has 8 in 41.

If this guy is a 3rd liner then you have a very deep offence because this guy produces like a true top 6 forward both in the regular season and the playoffs. Calling him a 3rd liner just makes you come off as someone who ignores facts so they can continue to pursue an agenda.
He was anywhere from fine to pretty good when he played here, it's just unfortunate that he had so many injuries pile up and barely managed to string any steady number of games together.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What round was Bergeron drafted again?

What kind of odds would you put Bruins drafting Bergeron 2.0 in 2020 with a 2nd rounder?

They are trying to contend, they had 2 major issues on the roster, they kept their 1st and all the top prospects.

Reactions: bbfan419

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
What kind of odds would you put Bruins drafting Bergeron 2.0 in 2020 with a 2nd rounder?

They are trying to contend, they had 2 major issues on the roster, they kept their 1st and all the top prospects.

I’d say donato was a top5 prospect

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I’d say donato was a top5 prospect

This thread is for the Johansson trade, but since you brought up Donato. He sure was one of our top 5 prospects and he will probably excel on a re-tooling Wild team. However, he was a negative impact player on Boston this season and the Bruins are loaded at LW. It seems Sweeney likes Heinen more...and Heinen is the better two-way guy. So, I will probably cringe when I look at Donato's stats over the next few years, but then I will look at the standings and see the Wild well outside of the playoffs.

My only complaint about moving Donato is maybe the Bruins could have gotten more? At the same time, I have always liked Coyle and see a strong fit for him on this team in the short and mid-term.

As for Johansson, a 2nd pick is the price of doing business. Underrated player who will probably bring life to the Krejci line.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
That Debrusk - Krejci - Johansson line was buzzing all night. Mojo is such a cerebral player, he's perfect for a guy like Krejci. Check out their tic tac toe goal: splendid. Left the Sharks looking around like "wtf did just happen".

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Hall also has a vastly different attitude and personality than any of those three

There isn’t some kind of one size fits all rule with young guys here (shocking, I know)

Why is Pastrnak still here? Why did he thrive? Attitude.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
This thread is for the Johansson trade, but since you brought up Donato. He sure was one of our top 5 prospects and he will probably excel on a re-tooling Wild team. However, he was a negative impact player on Boston this season and the Bruins are loaded at LW. It seems Sweeney likes Heinen more...and Heinen is the better two-way guy. So, I will probably cringe when I look at Donato's stats over the next few years, but then I will look at the standings and see the Wild well outside of the playoffs.

My only complaint about moving Donato is maybe the Bruins could have gotten more? At the same time, I have always liked Coyle and see a strong fit for him on this team in the short and mid-term.

As for Johansson, a 2nd pick is the price of doing business. Underrated player who will probably bring life to the Krejci line.
Every one says we are loaded at left wing. Pasta Debrusk. Now what? Donato was by far our best lw prospect

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Every one says we are loaded at left wing. Pasta Debrusk. Now what? Donato was by far our best lw prospect

With a healthy line-up, the Bruins LW depth looks like this:

Marchand
DeBrusk
Heinen
Kuraly
Nordstrom
Cehlarik
Smith

Marchy and DeBrusk are your top 2 wingers. Heinen is a great 3rd line LW. Kuraly was born to play on the 4th line. So, while Donato was certainly our best LW prospect, unless he was going to bump Heinen for 3rd LW, I don't see where he fits. Whether you prefer Heinen or Donato in that role...it's probably irrelevant. Cassidy preferred Heinen.

Reactions: FanSince72

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Could have had a couple assists for sure. He had one, but there were a few feeds he made that could have got finished. He looked very good with Krejci and DeBrusk.
Might be better chemistry than the Nash pick up last year. I'm excited for Bruins fans. This will be a 4 line team, and 3 D pairing team. No weak links. As long as Rask is better this playoffs B's can go all the way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad