Confirmed Trade: [BOS/NJD] Marcus Johansson (40% retained) for 2019 2nd round pick and 2020 4th round pick

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
he was our best prospect period.

If Urho Vaakanainen has top pairing potential as several experts believe, then Donato was a distant 2nd best prospect. That is, of course, if you value a middle 6 winger over a middle 6 center like Studnicka. I personally value the C prospect over the winger, so for me, it was Vaakanainen, Studnicka and Donato.

Reactions: FanSince72

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If Urho Vaakanainen has top pairing potential as several experts believe, then Donato was a distant 2nd best prospect. That is, of course, if you value a middle 6 winger over a middle 6 center like Studnicka. I personally value the C prospect over the winger, so for me, it was Vaakanainen, Studnicka and Donato.

I like Vaak but until he shows offense I’m not sure what he is. Studnicka is tearing up the O in his what 4th OHL season? I don’t pay attention to stats in d+2 seasons. Donato was our best goal scoring prospect, and in reality our only one.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I honestly think we have another "Debrusk" in Studnicka :D

fast, skilled, hard nosed player. Debrusk may have the better release while Studnicka has softer hands

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I honestly think we have another "Debrusk" in Studnicka :D

fast, skilled, hard nosed player. Debrusk may have the better release while Studnicka has softer hands
Haha just realized he got traded for Peter Chiarelli:laugh:

upload_2019-2-28_9-8-39.png

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I don’t think either profile as top line forward or top line D which is what an A prospect is to me

I don't think anyone believes Studnicka developing into 1st line center material (although no one thought Bergeron would be a 1st line C either). However Vaakanainen is going to prove doubters wrong! I think he has top-pairing upside for sure...and there is plenty of evidence to suggest he has some untapped offensive potential as well.

Here is a quote from Eric Perrin, who has played about 1000 games in Finland's Liga as well as nearly 245 games in the NHL. Perrin's team faced Vaakanainen's in the playoffs last year.

“He was their best defenseman by far,” Perrin said. “I just remember [him] always being on the ice, doing really good things and that stands out to me. … These little things that we know, usually you say to your guys ‘get on their D, they’re having a hard time.’ But he wasn’t one of those guys that we were talking about. It was other guys. So we knew we had to kind of more keep an eye on him, because he joined the rush, things like that, that we had to stay aware about him at all times.

“He was reliable both sides of the ice. It wasn’t just offensively, he did a pretty good job as a young guy. Maybe physically not all the way developed yet, but he had a really good effort on defense as well,” added Perrin. “He has all the tools, that’s for sure,”

So, think about it. Vaakanainen emerged as a top pairing defenseman for SaiPa Lappeenranta at age 18. He was playing an average of 23 minutes a night. He was also a top-pairing defenseman for Finland at the World Juniors. Maybe he won't be Erik Karlsson or Brent Burns...but I see shades of Teppo Numminen.

Numminen is probably the most underrated defenseman in NHL history!

Put Vaakanainen next to McAvoy on the top-pairing and let them go. It would be the perfect pairing - like wine and cheese!

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I don’t think either profile as top line forward or top line D which is what an A prospect is to me

I think you're right about Studnicka and dead wrong on Vaak. I think he'll be on the top pairing with McAvoy as soon as Chara retires, or at least soon thereafter.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think you're right about Studnicka and dead wrong on Vaak. I think he'll be on the top pairing with McAvoy as soon as Chara retires, or at least soon thereafter.

I don’t necessarily disagree with this but vaakananien playing with mcavoy to me would just be because of his contrast in ability to mcavoy. I think vaak profiles as a 2nd pairing guy who will play 1st pairing because his skill set meshes well with what mcavoy has. Mcavoy is the stud defensemen and vaakananien is the compliment to mcavoy. I don’t think he’ll ever be offensive enough to warrant being an A level player. Im not saying 20 minutes a night of good defense against top lines isn’t really good. But if he puts up 15-20 points a year that’s not enough for me to call him a stud defensemen

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I like Vaak but until he shows offense I’m not sure what he is. Studnicka is tearing up the O in his what 4th OHL season? I don’t pay attention to stats in d+2 seasons. Donato was our best goal scoring prospect, and in reality our only one.

Donato well not impressed with his time he was gifted. Went down to the AHL and was average. He had 3 chances, Stud will be a better Bruin, he did not live off of Daddy being his coach. Good luck to Donato in a complete offensive role like Vatrano. If he was as good as some think then he would have pushed Marshy or JDB out of a spot.

Back on topic please, this is about Mojo
He was great and will get better. Two perfect signings, guys with size and not too old or too young.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I don't consider Vaaks a franchise prospect but a potential top pair D-man, neither do I consider Stud a franchise prospect, more like maybe Krejci replacement in time.

Donato isn't a top prospect in this league.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Lots of B's fans hating on Donato now that he's gone eh?

Dude was a top prospect, played great at the olympics, came in hot that season and hit a bit of a bump this year

He'll be great for the Wild and is an excellent prospect

Reactions: Estlin

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Coyle has fit like a glove perfectly leading the third line down the middle.

This could really be a great win-win for both teams as both players needed new roles within a NHL franchise.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't think anyone believes Studnicka developing into 1st line center material (although no one thought Bergeron would be a 1st line C either). However Vaakanainen is going to prove doubters wrong! I think he has top-pairing upside for sure...and there is plenty of evidence to suggest he has some untapped offensive potential as well.

Here is a quote from Eric Perrin, who has played about 1000 games in Finland's Liga as well as nearly 245 games in the NHL. Perrin's team faced Vaakanainen's in the playoffs last year.

“He was their best defenseman by far,” Perrin said. “I just remember [him] always being on the ice, doing really good things and that stands out to me. … These little things that we know, usually you say to your guys ‘get on their D, they’re having a hard time.’ But he wasn’t one of those guys that we were talking about. It was other guys. So we knew we had to kind of more keep an eye on him, because he joined the rush, things like that, that we had to stay aware about him at all times.

“He was reliable both sides of the ice. It wasn’t just offensively, he did a pretty good job as a young guy. Maybe physically not all the way developed yet, but he had a really good effort on defense as well,” added Perrin. “He has all the tools, that’s for sure,”

So, think about it. Vaakanainen emerged as a top pairing defenseman for SaiPa Lappeenranta at age 18. He was playing an average of 23 minutes a night. He was also a top-pairing defenseman for Finland at the World Juniors. Maybe he won't be Erik Karlsson or Brent Burns...but I see shades of Teppo Numminen.

Numminen is probably the most underrated defenseman in NHL history!

Put Vaakanainen next to McAvoy on the top-pairing and let them go. It would be the perfect pairing - like wine and cheese!

Chucky is obviously the cheese. Not sure about Finnish wine though :). I do think they are going to make a hell of a two way pairing. Although don’t discount the BU boys staying together and Vaak and Carlo being an elite shutshown pair.

Reactions: Son of Donegal

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't consider Vaaks a franchise prospect but a potential top pair D-man, neither do I consider Stud a franchise prospect, more like maybe Krejci replacement in time.

Donato isn't a top prospect in this league.

I don’t like that folks are kicking Donato in the way out. I hoped for him to turn into Hoffman with a better all around game. That’s a good player. But a support player.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I haven't watched the games. How has johansen been for the bruins?

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Lots of B's fans hating on Donato now that he's gone eh?

Dude was a top prospect, played great at the olympics, came in hot that season and hit a bit of a bump this year

He'll be great for the Wild and is an excellent prospect

Donato was anywhere from 2nd-5th in terms of prospects for the Bruins. He was in the same category as Frederic, Bjork, JFK, Studnicka etc. Hes a great goal scorer but not a particularly great skater.

He'll be fine and settle in as a top nine forward I think.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Coyle has fit like a glove perfectly leading the third line down the middle.

This could really be a great win-win for both teams as both players needed new roles within a NHL franchise.

But this isn't the Coyle trade thread. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->