GDT: BOS @ BUF 7pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - 1000 games for Dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Ryan Johnson with a defense low 3:48.

They sure look a lot worse since he’s been lowered

Johnson looked good the times he played.

You have a lot of new D tonight compared to last year. Johnson & Johnson, Clifton.
You get some consistent tending and stay healthy up front I doubt you're a lottery team. Lose TT and you maybe.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
What was with Granato pulling the goalie after Buffalo scores? Was he gonna hang Levi out to dry if Buffalo didn't get a goal or did it take him 5 minutes just to make a decision.

Very bizarre and sends an awful message that Granato doesn't know what he is doing.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
What was with Granato pulling the goalie after Buffalo scores? Was he gonna hang Levi out to dry if Buffalo didn't get a goal or did it take him 5 minutes just to make a decision.

Very bizarre and sends an awful message that Granato doesn't know what he is doing.
You don't pull goalie down 4. Down 3, yes.

So no GBU:

G-4th line and VO.......shocking
B-Levi
U-Marchand

Love that Marchand got lit up like 4 times.

Reactions: Ralonzo

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
You don't pull goalie down 4. Down 3, yes.

So no GBU:

G-4th line and VO.......shocking
B-Levi
U-Marchand

Love that Marchand got lit up like 4 times.
I am talking about the 5-1 goal and then Donnie pulled Levi. UPL was in net at the end of the game.

I am glad you can take a positive from the game. I guess hitting someone is all we have at this point.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The part that boggles my mind is why have Thompson out there blocking shots during an obviously lost game? After he got cut, they should have shut him down for the night.

There are plenty of other rubber-eaters on this team.
Then I guess your mind boggles easily.

Nothing remotely surprising about one of the best players on a team coming back to play if they’re able to. In the real world of the NHL that player is not getting shut down. Plus the cut to his foot has nothing to do with why he’s going to be out.

But I especially love the nonsense about the PK.

Tage gets sent out because he’s part of our top forward PK pairing. This forum and Sabres twitter have been raving about his play there and about the growth of his game it represents. But now something bad happened with him PKing….. So Granato is the Devil and those guys are nothing but rubber eaters.

Sometimes shit happens and its just bad luck.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

If I had to guess he already decided he was going to have UPL start the 3rd. So there wasn’t a spectacle of Levi getting pulled in game to a chorus of boos. But we scored before the end of the period. So it gave him a chance to accomplish the same thing earlier While the goal song/celebration was going on.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
sabres are bad. mattias samuelsson is bad, erik johnson is bad. owen powers is good but is on the ice for 4 goals against every game. devon levi is bad. ryan johonson is good. make of it what you will, idk
But how's Sabretooth ? :sarcasm:
Reaction to last nights anthem was amusing. Video I saw had a Buffalo fan turning to his wife or partner and clear saying "HE doent know the lyrics"
We can't even get an anthem right :laugh::help:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
If it wasn't for wide right I would think its stupid to think Buffalo is cursed but come on...

Hull's foot was in the crease when it used to be a penalty.
Wide right
McKee's staph infection
Mogilny getting a broken ankle in the playoffs and LaFontaine going down
4 superbowl losses
The bat and fog game(Won the game but lost the series)

How many teams go through this much controversy in the playoffs?
You know sometimes I wonder, when I got into hockey I loved goalies. How would my life be different if I had chosen to idolize Patrick Roy instead of Hasek? But now I have invested 30 years of my life into this team, it is too late to change.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023
Who is your GM next summer btw ? KA, Jerry, other ?

Jerry Forton makes the most sense to me from a Pegula stand point. They have a long standing relationship that goes beyond hockey. The Forton's have known the Pegula's for decades. Well before he ever bought the Sabres. His brother in law is/was Terry's business partner in oil and gas.

That said Jerry has managed the amateur scouting department very well. But part of being a GM is a lot more than drafting. If we replace KA I would like it to be with somebody who has better vision and foresight. There is a lot more maneuvering with draft picks, prospects, free agents, and trades in the NHL compared to other American sports leagues.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Jerry Forton makes the most sense to me from a Pegula stand point. They have a long standing relationship that goes beyond hockey. The Forton's have known the Pegula's for decades. Well before he ever bought the Sabres. His brother in law is/was Terry's business partner in oil and gas.

That said Jerry has managed the amateur scouting department very well. But part of being a GM is a lot more than drafting. If we replace KA I would like it to be with somebody who has better vision and foresight. There is a lot more maneuvering with draft picks, prospects, free agents, and trades in the NHL compared to other American sports leagues.
I like what you write.

People on HFBoards laughed at Yzerman's signings but at least he had a vision and a coach.
Look at Arizona who made changes in their offseason.
Both of those teams are progressing while Buffalo is regressing. Its not a good sign.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I like what you write.

People on HFBoards laughed at Yzerman's signings but at least he had a vision and a coach.
Look at Arizona who made changes in their offseason.
Both of those teams are progressing while Buffalo is regressing. Its not a good sign.
Progression is not linear. By all accounts defense is better this year, that's progress. Putting the defensive commitment together with the offense is proving challenging. Heck goaltending seems better this year too, minus Levi (I am again doubting Bales as coach).
KA traded Eichel Rhino and Risto, this narrative that he does nothing is so old. Greenway was a solid addition.

A hot start from Detroit and Ottawa does not mean they are progressing, nor does a slow start mean regression.

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Progression is not linear. By all accounts defense is better this year, that's progress. Putting the defensive commitment together with the offense is proving challenging. Heck goaltending seems better this year too, minus Levi (I am again doubting Bales as coach).
KA traded Eichel Rhino and Risto, this narrative that he does nothing is so old. Greenway was a solid addition.

A hot start from Detroit and Ottawa does not mean they are progressing, nor does a slow start mean regression.
Sure, there is always two sides to a coin but until Detroit and Ottawa do regress then your point is moot.

Just saying something doesn't make it so. We are going on 13 years without playoffs.

Management and coach set the goals, they are the ones not achieving it. You say a lot of stuff but don't really say anything. No one is claiming progression is linear. this team hasn't made the playoffs for over a decade but ya progress isn't linear so we should just all suck it up and just drink the kool-aid be happy.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sure, there is always two sides to a coin but until Detroit and Ottawa do regress then your point is moot.

Just saying something doesn't make it so. We are going on 13 years without playoffs. No one is claiming progression is linear.

Management and coach set the goals, they are the ones not achieving it.
First, too early to evaluate a season.

second, the first 10 years have nothing to do with Adams

Third, their goal is to assemble the best roster long term. This years goal is playoffs. What goal did they set out that has not been met? You have 60ish games left.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
We are 7-8-1, one point behind the lighting and were already not making the GBU, missed the playoffs, and fired our coach and GM and renounced our faith in the almighty Thompson?

Reactions: Macbanan

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
We are 7-8-1, one point behind the lighting and were already not making the GBU, missed the playoffs, and fired our coach and GM and renounced our faith in the almighty Thompson?
You could say we are one point ahead of the lightning. You could also say we are only 1 point ahead of last in the division by points percentage. You surely can understand why people are upset.

Reactions: Tijuana Donkey Show

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Third, their goal is to assemble the best roster long term. This years goal is playoffs. What goal did they set out that has not been met? You have 60ish games left.
They're not making the playoffs dude. Sure, we can keep believing in santa claus but after a while we look silly doing so. We're a bunch of Charlie Brown's getting the football pulled out every year.

You could say we are one point ahead of the lightning. You could also say we are only 1 point ahead of last in the division by points percentage. You surely can understand why people are upset.
You can also simply watch the team and see a team that doesn't have a prayer of making the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mattilaus

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Let’s just stash

They're not making the playoffs dude. Sure, we can keep believing in santa claus but after a while we look silly doing so. We're a bunch of Charlie Brown's getting the football pulled out every year.

You can also simply watch the team and see a team that doesn't have a prayer of making the playoffs.
Okay so every team below 500 at this moment is cut from the playoffs. Got it.

Tijuana Donkey Show

Mar 14, 2023

My thing is that this thing is built on forwards and forward depth and here we are scrambling for good forward play and depth when the injury bug bites.

On top of that it seems like we are building our lines as the 1st line is the best line and 4th is the worst. But there is a lot more to it than that. We don't have anybody in the pipeline to fill those roles in the near future. The top 6 are more or less set. There is no real opportunity to break into it in the next 3-5 years.

So what are we stock piling slightly different version of the same player, that today isn't providing depth when somebody goes down and tomorrow isn't going to win us face offs or play the proper roles in the bottom 6.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Ah wonderful so every new GM and coach get a reset and starts over. I wish I could feel that way.

This team isn't making the playoffs and we will be moving on to year 13 of the Pegula 3 year plan and year 5 of Adams.

If Adams gets fired you give the next GM another 5 years too? How about just hire competent staff from the start? Instead Pegula has done everything he can to avoid hiring Managers and Coaches with NHL experience as a GM or coach. My guess is so they wont challenge the Pegulas when they say something stupid and instead they bring in yes men.

The only man who didn't fit that box was Dan Blysma. I am not defending or advocating for him but he almost had this team in the playoffs in 2015-16 and the sabres were one game under .500 and here we are 8 years later 1 game under .500 and still no playoffs.

Last edited:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Let's look at the bright side. The record for seasons played without winning a playoff series is 24. Buffalo is on 16 so we have eight more years to avoid that record. LOTS of time fellas, relax...

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
My thing is that this thing is built on forwards and forward depth and here we are scrambling for good forward play and depth when the injury bug bites.

On top of that it seems like we are building our lines as the 1st line is the best line and 4th is the worst. But there is a lot more to it than that. We don't have anybody in the pipeline to fill those roles in the near future. The top 6 are more or less set. There is no real opportunity to break into it in the next 3-5 years.

So what are we stock piling slightly different version of the same player, that today isn't providing depth when somebody goes down and tomorrow isn't going to win us face offs or play the proper roles in the bottom 6.
Most players don't hit potential, a combo a Savoie Benson Kulich Rosen etc will be third liners, which is depth. Biro rousek 4th line etc. They could use a big trade to a rebuilding team who wants assets and pick up a few roster players who want out, kind of like Calgary Kadri current situation (not him specifically). Like assets x4 for roster player with term x2.
Ah wonderful so every new GM and coach get a reset and starts over. I wish I could feel that way.

This team isn't making the playoffs and we will be moving on to year 13 of the Pegula 3 year plan and year 5 of Adams.

If Adams gets fired you give the next GM another 5 years too? How about just hire competent staff from the start? Instead Pegula has done everything he can to avoid hiring Managers and Coaches with NHL experience as a GM or coach. My guess is so they wont challenge the Pegulas when they say something stupid and instead they bring in yes men.

The only man who didn't fit that box was Dan Blysma. I am not defending or advocating for him but he almost had this team in the playoffs in 2015-16 and the sabres were one game under .500 and here we are 8 years later 1 game under .500 and still no playoffs.
When the GM decides to completely tear down and rebuild, it is typically a 3 year rebuild plan then transition and year 5+ become contenders. The new GM assuming Adams is fired, will be tasked with tweaking the roster/coaches. Clock started when Eichel was traded.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Okay so every team below 500 at this moment is cut from the playoffs. Got it.
I'm not basing the opinion on math -- there are teams below us in the standings have a better chance to make the playoffs than Buffalo because they are clearly better. Pittsburg being one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad