Waived: [BOS] Backes on Waivers

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
He was decent his first year in Boston, but way too many concussions and other assorted injuries derailed him quickly. He never complained though, wish him the best.

His second year was pretty good too with 14 goals and 33 points in 57 games but indeed injuries caught up to him quickly and now that’s it !

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
IIRC, the ultimate case of leaving money on the table was Patrick Roy and Hasek. Roy was under contract for 03-04 for something around $8-9M in salary when he decided to hang them up. Hasek had two option years (that the Red Wings would've obviously used) for around the same salary when he decided to temporarily retire after the 2002 Cup win.

Kevin Klein gave up 2.75 mil, but I'd say the ultimate was Kovalchuk. He gave up 77 mil when he retired. I have no idea how much he made in the KHL. Maybe it was more. But I also don't know if that was guaranteed. If he had sustained a career ending injury, would he still have been paid? In the NHL, he could sit on LTIR forever or let the team buy him out for 2/3rds.

Jun 15, 2007
Lol no, this is a business first and foremost. Backes will ultimately be forgotten about, his legacy is what it is Cup or not.

A much different situation for a guy like OV whose career will be debated for decades to come.

Is there really that much room for debate on Ovechkin's career?

Reactions: Guttersniped

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
They're freeing up at least 1.075m for something. I doubt they can move the full contract until the summer.

Happens to most physical players who sign those big contracts and can't keep up, and even a few others who don't affect the cap. I don't know if I'd call it sad going down to the minors at the end of a great career.

What is boston offering? Ducks might take him - they have the space - but the return would have to be significant. And if the Ducks ice him (which I hope they would not), then it helps the tank.

crazy. What kind of cap savings does this get the bruins? I know a buyout is 50% of his salary but I'm not sure the case when you just bury salary in the minors?

Is waivers a way to get Backes to waive his limited no trade? Better to be traded than to be put in the minors? Just a thought . . .

Reactions: neelynugs

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What is boston offering? Ducks might take him - they have the space - but the return would have to be significant. And if the Ducks ice him (which I hope they would not), then it helps the tank.

Is waivers a way to get Backes to waive his limited no trade? Better to be traded than to be put in the minors? Just a thought . . .

they are just trying to bank space for the TDL now that Kuhlman is no longer injured. As for moving Backes this summer, who knows. They might not have to (they obviously have not in previous years). They might have to move half. They might have to move it all. It’s 3 million in real cash after they pay his bonus. Too early to talk about it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
He'll always be our Buffalo Head...

interesting-take-alex.jpeg

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I think someone will claim him
at $6 mil? who possibly wants to eat up $6 mil in cap space to play bottom six with another year remaining after this?

0% Chance he is claimed. Anyone interested is better off offering a 7th rd pick for Backes at 50% retention because it saves $3 mil in cap for BOS and $3 mil in cap space for the acquiring team and boston gets "something" for him

it behooves both teams to do a low value trade at max retention. Boston is trying to offer him up for free to get rid of him (which nobody will take) and why would another team take him off bostons hands at full cap hit?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad