Waived: [BOS] Backes on Waivers

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
crazy. What kind of cap savings does this get the bruins? I know a buyout is 50% of his salary but I'm not sure the case when you just bury salary in the minors?
You can't bury salary in the minors like you used to. This only saves them the league minimum off this salary, they are still on the hook for the rest for his cap hit

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Is he really so bad now he can’t even be a limited 4th line role player?

Just too slow. He could play 4th line but probably not the way the Bruins use their 4th line (which is as a defensive matchup). I assumed they would carry him as 14th forward for the remainder of the year. But with everyone getting healthy i guess they decided to waive him rather then take a chance on waiving someone they rather not lose.

SC2GM

May 16, 2016
I'm just happy the Bruins signed him. If it wasn't for them, I'm sure he would have found his way back on the Blues and we would have continued being mediocre. It's unfortunate, for him, that leaving the Blues resulted in him having to realize the team was better off without him.

To watch the Blues win the Stanley Cup vs his new team while he was a healthy scratch? At least there was some con attached to going to whomever would pay the most (being overpaid).

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
No one leaves money on the table.

*except Rafalski and Bobby Orr.
Markus Naslund did. Left $3 million. Doubt if he made in up playing 29 games in Sweden after he retired.

New York Rangers forward Markus Naslund announces retirement - TheHockeyNews

IIRC, the ultimate case of leaving money on the table was Patrick Roy and Hasek. Roy was under contract for 03-04 for something around $8-9M in salary when he decided to hang them up. Hasek had two option years (that the Red Wings would've obviously used) for around the same salary when he decided to temporarily retire after the 2002 Cup win.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No one leaves money on the table.

*except Rafalski and Bobby Orr.

Markus Naslund did. Left $3 million. Doubt if he made in up playing 29 games in Sweden after he retired.

New York Rangers forward Markus Naslund announces retirement - TheHockeyNews

IIRC, the ultimate case of leaving money on the table was Patrick Roy and Hasek. Roy was under contract for 03-04 for something around $8-9M in salary when he decided to hang them up. Hasek had two option years (that the Red Wings would've obviously used) for around the same salary when he decided to temporarily retire after the 2002 Cup win.

Berglund, Patrik.

It wasn't really a normal retirement, he burned 8 figures of money walking away from the Sabres.

They're freeing up at least 1.075m for something. I doubt they can move the full contract until the summer.

Happens to most physical players who sign those big contracts and can't keep up, and even a few others who don't affect the cap. I don't know if I'd call it sad going down to the minors at the end of a great career.

It's sad because he's incurred a lot of head trauma and brain injury and it contributed to what he is now. But yeah he's made plenty of money and was an impactful player for a while, so he's had a good career in the grand scheme.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Kuhlman played great in his return yesterday and Bjork is a stud. That left only one spot on the team for a 13th forward and Lindholm's versatility, better defensive play and ability to PK won out. It would be stupid to carry 14 forwards when they can bank a bit of cap space by sending Backes down.
Lol, Bjork is a stud, oh really. Not to derail this thread but Bjork, regardless of what some say, is far from a stud, unless you know something about his time outside the rink with the ladies. Good player, should improve but at this point and time is not close to being a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad