Waived: [BOS] Backes on Waivers

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hasn’t he had like 3?

I’ve had one and I don’t wish them on anyone

More. The last one was really heartbreaking because it involved another player who was concussed at the same time as Backes and had to be stretchered off; Backes was visibly upset on the bench and in tears watching the kid get taken off the ice.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Backes + big add to Chicago
Saad to Boston

Saad gets the top six help they were looking for at an identical cap hit and same term remaining. Chicago takes Backes off their hands at full cap hit plus a big add

Question is what would Boston be willing to add to Backes to get Saad at full cap hits for each?

Chicago could just buy out backes this summer to clear some cap as well while adding to their rebuilding pipeline ($4M cap hit next year, $1M year after)

I’d rather pay the price for Saad at 50%

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
3 cups. You?
ANqatbw.jpg

8mZlW2p.jpg

w4WHYkX.jpg

E6i4CVU.jpg

Me? I'm fantastic, thank you for asking.

Pro tip: the hawks have won 6 cups, not 3. :thumbu:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's too bad the Bruins were smart enough to at least limit the damage with one less year on the deal, because otherwise...it'd look like a potential change of scenery swap for Eriksson.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Definitely feel for the guy. Played the game the right way for a long time. Was one of my fav players before he came to Boston. This had to happen tho.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i know this thread will be a bunch of 'awful contract', 'terrible player', '2016 UFA class strikes again' but it's pretty sad. Backes had a solid career but a lot of severe head injuries really played a big role in all of this and accelerated the decline.

hopefully he can stay healthy and live a good life. not sure we'll see him in the NHL ever again though.

nice to find empathy once in awhile at a garbage dump. Nice post

Reactions: wintersej

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
He will ride out that contract. No one of his caliber walks away from multi-millions just because they have to ride a bus.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
nice to find empathy once in awhile at a garbage dump. Nice post
Blues offered a shorter term for Backes. Think it was 3 years max, which would have ended last season. But, he opted for the Boston deal. His choice. Blues made the hard tough call that the majority of NHL teams would not have made.

Almost poetic in that they ended up facing off against Backes in the finals and winning. Shows that the tough calls pay off.

Honestly, the structure his contract, front loaded with some SB to reduce the cash payment that another team would owe him should they need to trade him after year 3 and paying the SB. B's were prepared to pay him $25 mill for 3 years of service (includes the year 4 SB of $3 mill). Would have left $5 mill cash for the new team to pay him. But, age caught up to Backes, along with the bottom feeders that normally took on low cash big cap hit contracts going into a new direction. FLA, AZ, NJ spent this off-season expecting to be better, thus were not interested in cap dumps.

Who was the last player wth this type of contract structure who got traded the way the contract was setup for? Let's eliminate the guys who ended up on LTIR. So, only talking about the players who would actually play for a new team in the final 2 years of their front loaded contract. Seems like its a bad idea from the start. You're dependent on the player playing well enough to justify the cash owing, otherwise it will cost a higher asset to move the player.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad