Waived: [BOS] Backes on Waivers

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Blues offered a shorter term for Backes. Think it was 3 years max, which would have ended last season. But, he opted for the Boston deal. His choice. Blues made the hard tough call that the majority of NHL teams would not have made.

Almost poetic in that they ended up facing off against Backes in the finals and winning. Shows that the tough calls pay off.

Honestly, the structure his contract, front loaded with some SB to reduce the cash payment that another team would owe him should they need to trade him after year 3 and paying the SB. B's were prepared to pay him $25 mill for 3 years of service (includes the year 4 SB of $3 mill). Would have left $5 mill cash for the new team to pay him. But, age caught up to Backes, along with the bottom feeders that normally took on low cash big cap hit contracts going into a new direction. FLA, AZ, NJ spent this off-season expecting to be better, thus were not interested in cap dumps.

Who was the last player wth this type of contract structure who got traded the way the contract was setup for? Let's eliminate the guys who ended up on LTIR. So, only talking about the players who would actually play for a new team in the final 2 years of their front loaded contract. Seems like its a bad idea from the start. You're dependent on the player playing well enough to justify the cash owing, otherwise it will cost a higher asset to move the player.

Excellent post. Bruins idea was to move him after three years. It’s also when his full NTC moved to partial. The idea of selling an over the hill Backes for 2x2.5 in real money (after paying his bonus) should have worked...but he became a sub NHL player instead of “veteran bottom 6 presence” after the concussions.

Reactions: smitty10

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Excellent post. Bruins idea was to move him after three years. It’s also when his full NTC moved to partial. The idea of selling an over the hill Backes for 2x2.5 in real money (after paying his bonus) should have worked...but he became a sub NHL player instead of “veteran bottom 6 presence” after the concussions.
Do we have any examples where this type of contract worked out and the team was able to move that player out for the final 2 years of their deal where the new team paid average cash equal to half or less of the cap hit?

Reactions: BearsofBeantown

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Do we have any examples where this type of contract worked out and the team was able to move that player out for the final 2 years of their deal where the new team paid average cash equal to half or less of the cap hit?

It’s been a newer trend so I’m not sure how many examples there are. It’ll likely happen with Kris Russell this summer though. He’s only owed 1.5 million next year which is pretty damn cheap for a veteran dman who can step into the top 4 when needed

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s been a newer trend so I’m not sure how many examples there are. It’ll likely happen with Kris Russell this summer though. He’s only owed 1.5 million next year which is pretty damn cheap for a veteran dman who can step into the top 4 when needed
The theory depends on the player holding up value equal to his cash payment.
Eriksson is the same contract structure, just a year longer than Backes. Same with Ladd, who is another year longer than Eriksson.

Major cap hit if you opt for a buyout. Buyout for Backes in June would cost $4 mill then a $1 mill cap hit over the next 2 seasons. He'll still end up with $29 mill of the $30 mill he signed for. End result would be a $7.25 mill annual payment for each of the 4 years he played.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Interesting development with regard to Backes:

This could mean that (a) a trade is in the works (perhaps with a cap dump going to Boston) or (b) Backes will retire. I doubt that he'll be suspended for not reporting to Providence. It sounds as if a trade is the more likely scenario.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
so are they going to put things in limbo until after the trade deadline then reabsorb him on the nhl squad?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

This could mean that (a) a trade is in the works (perhaps with a cap dump going to Boston) or (b) Backes will retire. I doubt that he'll be suspended for not reporting to Providence. It sounds as if a trade is the more likely scenario.

Did somebody say LTIR?

tenor.gif

Reactions: smitty10

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Backes and a first for Devin shore. Even that seems light considering what marleau cost Toronto for only one year.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Sold. Give us a third for Bogosian and then we will take Backes for future considerations so Botterill can feel good about getting value for Bogosian.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
"David is fit and able to play"

Bruins could pay Detroit a first to take him.

I don't think Sweeney will cough up a first to dump the contract that ends after next year.

They have 18 million in cap space (assuming the cap is flat) for next year with the priority signings are below:
DeBrusk (RFA) - Bridge 3 year at 3 million
Bjork (RFA) - Bridge 3 year at 2.1
Grezlyck (RFA) - 3 year 2.79
Lauzon (RFA) - 2 year 1.5 (or they walk away from him and Urho takes this roster spot)
Chara (UFA) - Assume 1 year 2 million (same as this season)
Krug (UFA) - 4 year 7 million
Halak (UFA) - who knows what they do here

Guesstimating above at puts is close to $16.5 million without halak and adding 2 more roster players that could ELC.

Outside of Krug not many of those players are taking home huge salaries or are expected to break the bank. I do believe the bruins may be working on a deal to send him somewhere and my understanding is that if he retires he forfeits 3 million dollars (he would still get his bonus) - which is a decent amount of money.

Again the numbers are speculative and from memory of who is UFA and RFA as I am to lazy right now to look at CapFriendly LOL

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Sold. Give us a third for Bogosian and then we will take Backes for future considerations so Botterill can feel good about getting value for Bogosian.

Ba ha ha ha ha - done, you can have the 3rd and Backes we will take bogo stick and let him walk the end of the year lol

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don't think Sweeney will cough up a first to dump the contract that ends after next year.

They have 18 million in cap space (assuming the cap is flat) for next year with the priority signings are below:
DeBrusk (RFA) - Bridge 3 year at 3 million
Bjork (RFA) - Bridge 3 year at 2.1
Grezlyck (RFA) - 3 year 2.79
Lauzon (RFA) - 2 year 1.5 (or they walk away from him and Urho takes this roster spot)
Chara (UFA) - Assume 1 year 2 million (same as this season)
Krug (UFA) - 4 year 7 million
Halak (UFA) - who knows what they do here

Guesstimating above at puts is close to $16.5 million without halak and adding 2 more roster players that could ELC.

Outside of Krug not many of those players are taking home huge salaries or are expected to break the bank. I do believe the bruins may be working on a deal to send him somewhere and my understanding is that if he retires he forfeits 3 million dollars (he would still get his bonus) - which is a decent amount of money.

Again the numbers are speculative and from memory of who is UFA and RFA as I am to lazy right now to look at CapFriendly LOL

Makes sense. I was thinking Boston might want to add a forward before the deadline this season, in which case they'd need to clear some cap.

BearsofBeantown

Jun 25, 2018
Makes sense. I was thinking Boston might want to add a forward before the deadline this season, in which case they'd need to clear some cap.
Yeah fair, if the look for a hockey trade with someone with term on their contract - they may have to part ways with one of the players. Should be interesting to see what happens around the nhl as there are to many buyers and limited sellers ate the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->