Confirmed Trade: [BOS/ANA] Ondrej Kase for David Backes (25% retained), Axel Andersson, and 2020 1st round pick

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Don’t mind the deal. My only apprehension is the injury history and now we don’t have a 1st for a bigger deal.

I think them not having the 1st this year is irrelevant. If they want to give up the equivalent of that they have Vaak and can always package prospects and picks to make up that value.

I DO think this deal, however, will make it difficult for DS to stomach giving up the value it would take to get a Kreider in addition to what we gave up for Kase.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Bruins have drafted well they can afford the 1st round pick loss. They got a 24 yr old kid who can pop 20 goals a year and now can resign krug. Don did well here.

Agreed. Gives them the ability to sign Krug and a top nine forward.

I do think the development of Studnicka and Beecher helped him stomach giving up the 1st though. Lauzon re signing also gives them stability should they give up Vaak as well.

The flexibility this deal offers, and at the same time adding a top nine forward, makes this deal a slam dunk for the Bruins.

FWIW I also think the Ducks did well here. 1st rounders are valuable in a rebuild.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If the issue is Kase being a contributor to the Bruins this year, it is not a given. But moving 4.5 million off the books is a win so the Bruins took a calculated risk that they would benefit them from the player and gain financial flexibility as well. Good business mans risk reward with the downside Kase never becomes that guy. Ducks get a pick that will be used for the rebuild which is the priority for them.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I remember when Backes signed that deal with Boston. He was such a good player for quite a while, it's hard to see a guy fall so far. He played a hard-nosed style for a long time so I'm happy he got his money. And that is from a (former) division rival fan.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is Kase is a top-9 forward, the deal will be a win for the Bruins. Injuries are a problem, but this is still a reasonable risk-reward scenario specific to the player. The Ducks were looking for a 1st for Kase anyways which seemed strange, but they got it having to take on money.

It seems the Bruins make their move prior to Monday, so the longer they go without making another big move, the more I think it's not coming.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bruins have drafted well they can afford the 1st round pick loss. They got a 24 yr old kid who can pop 20 goals a year and now can resign krug. Don did well here.

The Backes signing was a failure from day 1...Too bad they had to make this move to rid of the horrible contract.

Like this trade. Don for GM of the year again.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Is Kase is a top-9 forward, the deal will be a win for the Bruins. Injuries are a problem, but this is still a reasonable risk-reward scenario specific to the player. The Ducks were looking for a 1st for Kase anyways which seemed strange, but they got it having to take on money.

It seems the Bruins make their move prior to Monday, so the longer they go without making another big move, the more I think it's not coming.

Given his lack of production this year and chronic injuries throughout his career, I didn't think the market for Kase would be very strong. That the Ducks got a 1st and a pretty highly regarded RHD prospect is impressive given that Kase has only scored 7 goals this year.

The other thing to consider from a Ducks POV is that acquiring Backes now allows them to trade Derek Grant if they can't sign him. Given his very strong play this year, Grant is almost certainly worth a 3rd or perhaps even a 2nd to a playoff team looking for a solid 4th line center who can play special teams as well.

Reactions: Rec T

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Good deal for the Bruins. Moving Backes is a nice relief.

I don't think Kase is the cure for what ails them necessarily, but he's a solid pickup.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Kase playing with Krejci scores 20-25 goals a year. Add on the cap hit of 2.6 next year. And moving Backes. This is one heck up a deal for Boston. Anaheim get a valuable first rd pick for the rebuild. Also Backes is a good guy, you want to see guys like him get their careers back.
Oh, okay, so here are your thoughts on this deal.

I don't disagree -- I think it's good for both teams too -- but it's really weird that you couldn't just come out and say you liked the deal last night. I don't get it.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I remember when Backes signed that deal with Boston. He was such a good player for quite a while, it's hard to see a guy fall so far. He played a hard-nosed style for a long time so I'm happy he got his money. And that is from a (former) division rival fan.
Backes is one of those players who ages in dog years. When they hit the wall, their game usually falls off fast.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Given his lack of production this year and chronic injuries throughout his career, I didn't think the market for Kase would be very strong. That the Ducks got a 1st and a pretty highly regarded RHD prospect is impressive given that Kase has only scored 7 goals this year.

The other thing to consider from a Ducks POV is that acquiring Backes now allows them to trade Derek Grant if they can't sign him. Given his very strong play this year, Grant is almost certainly worth a 3rd or perhaps even a 2nd to a playoff team looking for a solid 4th line center who can play special teams as well.

Ducks brought him back once already so if they want him they should be able to keep him. My guess is they can get a 3rd for him but I question if he has a role on teams why better depth.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Ducks brought him back once already so if they want him they should be able to keep him. My guess is they can get a 3rd for him but I question if he has a role on teams why better depth.

Don't disagree but he is a UFA and he might want to test the UFA market rather than sign with the Ducks right now. He will certainly draw some interest in free agency.

As to his worth for a playoff team, if they need a 4th line center in the Brian Boyle / Paul Gaustad mold then Derek Grant is an excellent option.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don't disagree but he is a UFA and he might want to test the UFA market rather than sign with the Ducks right now. He will certainly draw some interest in free agency.

As to his worth for a playoff team, if they need a 4th line center in the Brian Boyle / Paul Gaustad mold then Derek Grant is an excellent option.

My guess is that he’s a guy who is moved at 2:59 on Monday because his low salary makes it conducive to make a deal quickly after other teams exhaust their options. Might fit on the Flyers actually.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I thought for sure the Bruins were gonna go after someone with more grit and Physicality (Kreider/Palmeri).

I guess there's still time to go after one of those players but I would assume that 2020 1st was something both teams would want.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasternak
Debrusk - Kreiji - Kase
Heinen - Coyle - Bjork
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner

Is that right bruins fans?

Yup, but I could see one of Bjork/Heinen + Vaakaneinen+ still being dangled out there for Palmeri

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Couldn't they have gotten something better from the Hurricanes for Kase?

No. Because if they could have they would have taken it. It depends on what you mean by "better", but I think the answer is pretty obvious - Kase was shopped extensively and the ducks took what they felt was the best offer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Meh I think there will be a decent market for grant, hes got good size 6'3 215.

Solid face off guy, can move up the line up with injuries... good penalty killer, who also is pretty dangerous short handed. Solid board work/forechecker... and basically every team can afford to take him on.

I agree, id be pushing for a 3rd... but a 4th would still be good.

I also think there is a good chance he comes back to Anaheim in off season, he had an unlucky career until he came to Anaheim, and hes kinda found his spot.... but at the same time hell be coming up on 30 soon, so getting a crack at a potential cup would be good for him, then he can also see what his market value is in offseason and bring that to the table when negotiating with Anaheim(if he wants to return)

Reactions: Rec T

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Couldn't they have gotten something better from the Hurricanes for Kase?
I really don't know what the market for kase looked like tbh... I know teams like Oil/flames/bruins/islanders/hurricanes likely kicked tires on him...but the ducks wanted a 1st and im not sure a 1st was on the table.

Taking back backes, is fine were not contending in the next 2 years... hell likely be able to finish out his contract in Anaheim which seems important to backes.

Im guessing our scouts are likely pretty high on Andersson also.

I don't hate or love the trade, I thought we might be able to get a little more for taking on backes and moving kase.
Backes -25% for 1st
Andersson for Kase

But im okay with it, Andersson is going to get a good chance in Anaheim.... and the 1st could land us a solid player too.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
In the short term I hope that Boston kicked the Ducks' butt in the trade... because that means that Kase managed to stay healthy.

Long term I think that Andersson and the pick will be the more valuable pieces.

As many other pointed out, Backes and his cap hit are pretty much irrelevant in Anaheim. He does free up Grant to go chase the Cup (hopefully for a return of a third) and then (also hopefully) come back over the summer.

Time will tell.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I think the Ducks got a handsome return here. Kase is a good addition for the Bruins. Not too worried about it from the Leafs perspective. Could've been Kreider.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad