Confirmed Trade: [BOS/ANA] Ondrej Kase for David Backes (25% retained), Axel Andersson, and 2020 1st round pick

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I can’t help but feel this wasn’t the original plan for Boston. Plus, it’s never a “win”, when a team has to shell out a 1st round pick to get rid of a bad contract. The most valuable aspect of this trade for Boston is the flexibility.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I can’t help but feel this wasn’t the original plan for Boston. Plus, it’s never a “win”, when a team has to shell out a 1st round pick to get rid of a bad contract. The most valuable aspect of this trade for Boston is the flexibility.

Maybe, they have a plan for rookies coming up in the future?

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
If Kase weren't so injury-prone, it's definitely a win for Boston, or probably just giving Backes without retention. I don't know. That's just my opinion; probably, you, as a Bruins fan, would know better.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion....without them this board would not exist. See you later tonight.

You might be right - there was a lot of talk about using that 1st round pick along with a bunch of other assets to get Kreider but I think Sweeney balked about surrendering another 1st round pick for a possible 1 year rental after what happened with Rick Nash. Trust me - that extra year of Kase's contract was very appealing to Boston. And yes - the salary cap flexibility was certainly a big thing because now it becomes hopefully easier to re-sign Krug and DeBrusk.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
People claiming that the the cost of taking Backes was the first are ignoring the retention, actual dollars, and money going out. Backes contract will cost the ducks $3M in real dollars next year (not much more than Kase's salary), though the cap his will be higher (irrelevant to the ducks who are well under the cap). And if they want, the ducks can buyout Backes and save another $1M. With that retention, Boston could have traded Backes to a lot of teams and not given up a first.
It's a very late first, and would be a very late 2nd round pick. Let's take the Marleau one in comparison. 1.8mil less cap saved, but a latter first. Think of how much it costs to move up just a few spots. In 2016, Winnipeg Jets traded #22OA and #36OA for #18OA, as an example. Just think of that. A couple spots are worth an early second round pick. As such, the latter first for 4.5mil is probably just as fair a value as 6.3mil for an expected earlier first(No one should have expected Leafs to this season do better than Bruins are doing now). This also is why people saying the real value should have been a 2nd round pick aren't making a whole lot of sense.

Hence, it essentially is a random depth prospect for a young 2nd line winger. Massive win for Bruins.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Why not?

Boston is looking at a #2Rw& being able to re-sign Krug, cap space was needed, they just got that.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Why not?

Boston is looking at a #2Rw& being able to re-sign Krug, cap space was needed, they just got that.

Instead Boston took a 3/4 line RW, hoping he has the potential to get over 40pts. It’s not a bad gamble, but to me this trade was strictly about clearing the books.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Instead Boston took a 3/4 line RW, hoping he has the potential to get over 40pts. It’s not a bad gamble, but to me this trade was strictly about clearing the books.

They are after a bigger guy, still are, but all this time they have needed cap space, not just for this year but next as well.
Enter Backes dumping, they were able to do it while adding another cheap top9 winger into the mix.

So why wouldn’t this line up with their original plan?

This was a needed move for the follow up

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Bruins just got younger +cap space

They have a ton of quality pieces for the future and only need to worry about replacing Bergeron in the next few years now as he regresses(slowly into vintage shut down Bergy :p)

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

They have a ton of quality pieces for the future and only need to worry about replacing Bergeron in the next few years now as he regresses(slowly into vintage shut down Bergy :p)

Kase is injury-prone, though, not like Eriksson or Baertschi.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Boston Fans - good trade
Ducks Fans - good trade
Other Fans - Ducks got screwed

Ducks wanted a 1st round. Kase alone was not going to get it done because of his “concussion and injury history” Ducks who are not concerned with cap the next two years took on a cap dump to get that 1st which the cap dump alone would not have gotten a 1st. They got a 1st and a better prospect. A RHD which they needed in their system.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Boston Fans - good trade
Ducks Fans - good trade
Other Fans - Ducks got screwed

Ducks wanted a 1st round. Kase alone was not going to get it done because of his “concussion and injury history” Ducks who are not concerned with cap the next two years took on a cap dump to get that 1st which the cap dump alone would not have gotten a 1st. They got a 1st and a better prospect. A RHD which they needed in their system.

yup as a bruins fan I see both teams accomplishing what they wanted to accomplish

I can’t complain because they upgraded the top 9 and got rid of Backes with one move. Two birds with one stone. The ducks gets a 1st to absorb a guy who should help the youngsters in the room and a solid defense prospect in Andersson

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

This trade could give the Bruins the push they need to get out of the East over the Lightning, Capitals and maybe Penguins. Fantastic trade.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I thought for sure the Bruins were gonna go after someone with more grit and Physicality (Kreider/Palmeri).

I guess there's still time to go after one of those players but I would assume that 2020 1st was something both teams would want.

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasternak
Debrusk - Kreiji - Kase
Heinen - Coyle - Bjork
Nordstrom - Kuraly - Wagner

Is that right bruins fans?

Reactions: Blowfish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad