Confirmed Trade: [BOS/ANA] Ondrej Kase for David Backes (25% retained), Axel Andersson, and 2020 1st round pick

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It feel like the Ducks should have got a little more with Backes, but another first is nice in this draft.
Agreed here. Maybe a better prospect or a 2nd. I'll take it either way.

Acting like Kase is some sure-fire top-6 player as a lot are here is just false as well. History shows he will miss around 30% of games or more and gets hit again and again the same way. Dude has no fear for sure, but he pays for it.

Reactions: veganbruin

Patrice37

Jul 19, 2006
At face value this looks like a pretty bad trade for Anaheim. A cap dump + late 1st + maybe B prospect for Kase. I would have thought that they could do way better than that. Backes pretty much nullifies the 1st, so it's really Kase for a guy who might not ever be a contributor at the NHL level.

How can you say Backes nullifies the first? A soon to be 36 year old center with 1 year left on his contract for a late first round pick...do we really have to list off the number of successful NHL players picked in the late first round or later? As somone else said, ANA basically did Boston a favor a bought their first rounder and swapped a prospect for a player who had fallen out of favor somewhat. Good trade for both teams, if Boston goes far and possibly wins I'm sure they'll be pleased

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
That's highly debatable - but what's not debatable is that Saad is getting paid over twice as much ( $6.75 million compared to $2.6 million ) as Kase for this season and next season plus his cap hit is much higher ( $6 million compared to $2.6 million ) than Kase. All things considered I would gladly take Kase over Saad.

Your trying to win the cup this year ....at the moment Saad gives you better chance to win this year....

Well I'm guessing that Don Sweeney disagrees with you....and I have more trust in his opinion.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
Got to give it to the Ducks ATM. See Backes at 4.5 Mill for the B prospect (2nd rounder) and Kase for Bostons 1st. Kase does have upside, but is prone to taking big hits. 2019 is suppose to be one of the deepest draft in a while, so its a gamble cause

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Classic Mickey Mouse company. No plan whatsoever for rebuild, let's take a veteran and make the announcer yell his name and playbyplay tell stories how he was good 7 years ago.

Reactions: tgoat

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Agreed. Although, as we get to the later half of the first the odds of actually drafting a future NHLer gets lower and lower. Still though, a first is a first for sure.

You're right--it still is a first round pick.

The Bruins got Pastrnak at #25 and that's working out pretty well.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Looks like a good trade for both teams.
No one got swindled. Both teams are on different roads to the cup and both teams will progress in the direction they see fit with the players, cap space, draft picks, and prospects to help achieve that goal.
Well done boys.....

Reactions: Alan Ryan

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
People claiming that the the cost of taking Backes was the first are ignoring the retention, actual dollars, and money going out. Backes contract will cost the ducks $3M in real dollars next year (not much more than Kase's salary), though the cap his will be higher (irrelevant to the ducks who are well under the cap). And if they want, the ducks can buyout Backes and save another $1M. With that retention, Boston could have traded Backes to a lot of teams and not given up a first.

If Kase can stay healthy, Boston wins this trade because he is a very good player. And if Kase gets hurt, Boston just puts him on IR and gets more cap relief. So the risk is pretty low either way other than the lost first and prospect.

But the Ducks had a logjam at RW and were in a real pickle with Kase because either: (i) he manages to stay healthy and gets a big contract they probably don't want to pay; or (ii) he keeps getting hurt and looses all value. So it makes perfect sense to get a badly needed RHD, valuable pick, and open up a spot for a younger guy.

As a ducks fan, I like this deal and feel the return was more valuable to the ducks than Kase - particularly because the ducks scouting team apparently really like andersson. This was good asset management and far better than the failed trade for Faulk (who has flamed out in St. Louis).

And those claiming the ducks could have got more are ignoring the fact that Kase has been shopped since last summer. The ducks well knew his value which was not helped by Kase getting hurt AGAIN and having a bad year in terms of point production.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
People claiming that the the cost of taking Backes was the first are ignoring the retention, actual dollars, and money going out. Backes contract will cost the ducks $3M in real dollars next year (not much more than Kase's salary), though the cap his will be higher (irrelevant to the ducks who are well under the cap). And if they want, the ducks can buyout Backes and save another $1M. With that retention, Boston could have traded Backes to a lot of teams and not given up a first.

If Kase can stay healthy, Boston wins this trade because he is a very good player. And if Kase gets hurt, Boston just puts him on IR and gets more cap relief. So the risk is pretty low either way.

But the Ducks had a logjam at RW and were in a real pickle with Kase because either: (i) he manages to stay healthy and gets a big contract they probably don't want to pay; or (ii) he keeps getting hurt and looses all value. So it makes perfect sense to get a badly needed RHD, valuable pick, and open up a spot for a younger guy.

And those claiming the ducks could have got more are ignoring the fact that Kase has been shopped since last summer. The ducks well knew his value which was not helped by Kase getting hurt AGAIN and having a bad year in terms of point production.

Is Kase injury-prone?

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Solid acquisition but I thought for sure the Bruins would go for someone with more grit
S
They should have imo. Bruins are a great team but the Blues knew what their weakness was last year and exploited it. Teams know their game plan..
Other teams just need the personnel to execute

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Hey, I'm not a Ducks fan, so I don't completely know about Kase. Just that he's a good player.

However, water can't wet anything, if it's bound by cohesion.

Its been discussed a lot in this thread so I couldn't help mystelf. Kase is 24 and has had 5 or more concussions as well as a serious shoulder surgery that took 6+ months to recover from. He's a good player when he plays - he just hasn't played enough. If he didn't have health issues, the ducks would never make this trade.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Its been discussed a lot in this thread so I couldn't help mystelf. Kase is 24 and has had 5 or more concussions as well as a serious shoulder surgery that took 6+ months to recover from. He's a good player when he plays - he just hasn't played enough. If he didn't have health issues, the ducks would never make this trade.

Oh, okay. That makes me think differently, then. Giving Anaheim that first pick was the difference. Bruins should have just given Andersson and Backes retained.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Oh, okay. That makes me think differently, then. Giving Anaheim that first pick was the difference. Bruins should have just given Andersson and Backes retained.

Do you really think Boston could have gotten Kase for just Backes ( with 25% retained ) and Anderson ???? Just about everybody thought Boston was going to end up doing with Backes what Toronto did with Marleau - give up a 1st round pick just to get rid of his contract. So for Boston to get Kase from Anaheim for 75% of Backes contract, a very late 1st round pick and Axel Anderson ( a good D prospect but Boston probably had at least 5 or 6 D prospects that they valued more ) may not be a steal for Boston but it should turn out to be a very good trade that hopefully pays off with Boston winning just one more game then they did last season.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Do you really think Boston could have gotten Kase for just Backes ( with 25% retained ) and Anderson ???? Just about everybody thought Boston was going to end up doing with Backes what Toronto did with Marleau - give up a 1st round pick just to get rid of his contract. So for Boston to get Kase from Anaheim for 75% of Backes contract, a very late 1st round pick and Axel Anderson ( a good D prospect but Boston probably had at least 5 or 6 D prospects that they valued more ) may not be a steal for Boston but it should turn out to be a very good trade that hopefully pays off with Boston winning just one more game then they did last season.

If Kase weren't so injury-prone, it's definitely a win for Boston, or probably just giving Backes without retention. I don't know. That's just my opinion; probably, you, as a Bruins fan, would know better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad