News Article: Borje Salming to call Nylander today and to persuade him to sign

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Borje convincing Nylander to sign regardless so Toronto can have him massively discounted.

How much is Toronto paying him to make the call? That is what I would ask.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
But he competed with passion. I don't worry about the defensive side of kids at first. Nylander has the compete problem. The flamingo, the turning away all the time. It was frustrating watching how scared he plays. Be embarrassed if I were him.
He's a 22 year old. Kadri was "lazy" back then too, so let's not rewrite history. He didn't work out much, had "other" issues, and on the ice he definitely didn't compete in all 3 zones. And look at him today. Night and day.

Just saying to give the kid time. He's not a finished product.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd say MM is a little guilty in this as well. A lot of his goals are off the left post and a bit predictable
Yeah. On the other hand, his shot selection on the PP is very smart. He tends to create shot opportunities that can both threaten the goalie, allow for redirect, and create dangerous rebounds. It's not quite the same at even strength.

His dump in recoveries are abysmal
Yes, for sure. As first man in, he's not good. As second man in, he's terrific. I think that's why he and Hyman can work so well at times. Hyman is great at being the first man in, he creates puck battles out of nothing sometimes. And both Willy and Matthews are very good at digging the puck out from that kind of situation.

The reason why Babs likes hyman is that he sucks players into the corners with him allowing others some room. When he doesn't have the puck, he causes chaos.It just seems that when Willie doesn't have the puck, he could be doing more. Maybe I'm wrong but he does look like an observer at times
If we're talking about attributes, this is his biggest flaw offensively. When away from the puck, not having or pursuing it, he doesn't really have the same innate understanding of where to go that Marner and Matthews has.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kinda feeling the same. He could always get tougher in time but right now this is a dark cloud hanging over the whole team and it's his fault.

We're coming up on the most exciting season in decades and this punk is holding it ransom.

I don't think it's so much Nylander himself holding it up, I really think he wants to get this thing behind him and play with his friends.

He's under a ton of pressure from both his agent and his father to sit this out and "get his worth" (AKA pay way more for my hypothetical potential).

His agent is obviously aware of the leverage. If Nylander sits out it messes with the best roster the Leafs have iced in 50 years, he knows this and he's utilizing it. Now the decision is ultimately Willy's to make, but this is probably where he's being pressured by his dad to listen to his agent and sit out so he can get paid. Michael Nylander was not a loyal guy at all, he jumped ship every 2 years to another team and made it past the 1st round once in his entire career, and only played 47 playoff games his whole career. He obviously prioritized money over team loyalty, success and legacy. Now is he trying to impose this same ideology on his son?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's a 22 year old. Kadri was "lazy" back then too, so let's not rewrite history. He didn't work out much, had "other" issues, and on the ice he definitely didn't compete in all 3 zones. And look at him today. Night and day.

Just saying to give the kid time. He's not a finished product.

Kadri wasn't lazy. He got jerked around and the suddenly developed bad habits. He was actually really intense and awesome off the hop. The coach didn't think so but many of us here called Wilson out on that.

Don't you remember all the Wilson comments and drama? It's funny how great Kadri got when we got a great coach.

Maybe he just learned hockey, or perhaps he was properly developed in the end, listed to and put in a position to succeed.

Reactions: Notsince67

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
I'm a big believer in motives.

If Salming were serious about helping out a young player, this wouldn't be in the media. This kind of thing should be behind the scenes, discreet like.

This seems more like he's working for Dubas and it's a pr pressure tactic.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Walshy7

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't think it's so much Nylander himself holding it up, I really think he wants to get this thing behind him and play with his friends.

He's under a ton of pressure from both his agent and his father to sit this out and "get his worth" (AKA pay way more for my hypothetical potential).

His agent is obviously aware of the leverage. If Nylander sits out it messes with the best roster the Leafs have iced in 50 years, he knows this and he's utilizing it. Now the decision is ultimately Willy's to make, but this is probably where he's being pressured by his dad to listen to his agent and sit out so he can get paid. Michael Nylander was not a loyal guy at all, he jumped ship every 2 years to another team and made it past the 1st round once in his entire career, and only played 47 playoff games his whole career. He obviously prioritized money over team loyalty, success and legacy. Now is he trying to impose this same ideology on his son?
Environment plays a huge role in creating the individual but the decision is ultimately Willy's.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kadri wasn't lazy. He got jerked around and the suddenly developed bad habits. He was actually really intense and awesome off the hop. The coach didn't think so but many of us here called Wilson out on that.

Don't you remember all the Wilson comments and drama? It's funny how great Kadri got when we got a great coach.

Maybe he just learned hockey, or perhaps he was properly developed in the end, listed to and put in a position to succeed.
He grew up basically. And the light bulb went on. It will with Willy too. He'll get it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He grew up basically. And the light bulb went on. It will with Willy too. He'll get it.

That's ok, that is your narrative. I see it differently... A ballsy kid came into the league and although he fell a lot being smaller, was centred out by a coach that was past his prime and unfair. Kadri was treated like Leivo essentially. All was but lost until Babcock and Komarov provided him a stable place in the team. No more you're a 4th liner, 2nd, 3rd. He was offered stability and a chance... He prooved Carlyle and Wilson wrong givn that chance.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hopefully that'll happen in the next few days.
Haha - I was referring to the on ice part. But I agree, he's probably chomping at the bit to get out there at this point. Remember that his agent is well known for this tactic (as is Marner's).

It will get done at a number the Leafs can live with - they hold the cards. I'm not the least bit concerned right now.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
That's ok, that is your narrative. I see it differently... A ballsy kid came into the league and although he fell a lot being smaller, was centred out by a coach that was past his prime and unfair. Kadri was treated like Leivo essentially. All was but lost until Babcock and Komarov provided him a stable place in the team. No more you're a 4th liner, 2nd, 3rd. He was offered stability and a chance... He prooved Carlyle and Wilson wrong give the chance.
I don't know about that narrative. It's a known fact he had off ice issues too. He had 44 points in 48 games under Carlyle, but with sheltered usage because of the holes in his game. A consistent lack of compete was the biggest knock against him back then too.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Since I'm a newbie I had to look this guy up.

This photo makes him look like the Chuck Norris of ice hockey.... Hey maybe Chuck Norris should give Nylander a call.

744864_v9_ba.jpg

You should look up why they call him "The King".

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Over the past 2 seasons:

ES P/60:
Marner: 2.07
Nylander: 2.03

ES P1/60:
Marner: 1.55
Nylander: 1.45

ES CF%:
Marner: 50.46%
Nylander: 51.45%

ES GS/60:
Marner: 2.15
Nylander: 2.26

ES xGF%:
Marner: 51.15%
Nylander: 51.87%

ES ZSR:
Marner: 54.23
Nylander: 51.76

ES CF% QoT:
Marner: 50.71%
Nylander: 48.3%

ES Giveaways/60:
Marner: 2.41
Nylander: 1.91

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 1.09.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 1.09.42 PM.png

It's unbelievable that everyone wants to give Marner $8m x 7, but won't break $7 for Nylander. There's just no basis for this at all. Marner is not a better player.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Over the past 2 seasons:

ES P/60:

ES P1/60:

ES CF%:

ES GS/60:

ES xGF%:

ES ZSR:

ES CF% QoT:

ES Giveaways/60:

View attachment 141261

View attachment 141263

It's unbelievable that everyone wants to give Marner $8m x 7, but won't break $7 for Nylander. There's just no basis for this at all. Marner is not a better player.
No one "wants" to give Marner 8 million. It's that he has one more year and will be playing with Tavares so the expectation is that Marner's point total will go up which would raise his comparables.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Over the past 2 seasons:

ES P/60:

ES P1/60:

ES CF%:

ES GS/60:

ES xGF%:

ES ZSR:

ES CF% QoT:

ES Giveaways/60:

View attachment 141261

View attachment 141263

Context is everything. Marner played with sub par team mates for a stretch. He started to produce really well last year when he was moved on Kadri's line. This line's purpose was to shut down top line offense. Moving him to a line with Tavares kind of equalizes the situational deployment between Marner and Nylander. Do you honestly believe that Marner will only net 61 points this year? The smell test fails on these analytics.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Context is everything. Marner played with sub par team mates for a stretch. He started to produce really well last year when he was moved on Kadri's line. This line's purpose was to shut down top line offense. Moving him to a line with Tavares kind of equalizes the situational deployment between Marner and Nylander. Do you honestly believe that Marner will only net 61 points this year? The smell test fails on these analytics.

Except this isn’t exactly true though - JVR was one of the most offensively prolific vets on the team at the time, and that line didn’t have to face the oppositions best defensive units who would get matched against the Matthews line.

Marner will obviously likely a boost though, then again bad puck luck can impact any player at any time. Any players under 22 can suffer ups and downs

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yup. Over 100 stitches iirc
Over 200 stitches, according to Wikipedia.

The day after the injury the Sun had a front page picture of him, wearing sunglasses, which hid a lot of the mess.

Unfortunately, with the shades on he looked very much like my brother (they are almost the same age), and I just about tore the newspaper box apart in my hurry to find out why my idiot brother was on the front page!

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
IT won't no matter what happens until he's a UFA.

Exactly. Protection against a potential ( likely imo) trade is the only chip he has. I think he wants to sign up to his fa year and wants more $$$.

I don’t think he’d turn down 6.5 for 8 yrs if the Leafs offered than.

Something is holding up the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad