News Article: Borje Salming to call Nylander today and to persuade him to sign

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
61 points isn't bad but it's 61 pts. He hasn't done what other elite players have and when Matthews isn't there, he looks significantly less effective.
Careful! There's a few stats guys on here that have posted stats (like ROFL/60) that they claim show that Nylander is actually better away from Matthews and that Willie's play props Matthews up.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Except this isn’t exactly true though - JVR was one of the most offensively prolific vets on the team at the time, and that line didn’t have to face the oppositions best defensive units who would get matched against the Matthews line.

Marner will obviously likely a boost though, then again bad puck luck can impact any player at any time. Any players under 22 can suffer ups and downs

Agree 100%, Marner couldn't ask for a better spot to put up points as a rookie. Two experienced line-mates who don't play much defence but are good offensively and sheltered match-ups to boot. Doesn't get much better than that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Over the past 2 seasons:

ES P/60:
Marner: 2.07
Nylander: 2.03

ES P1/60:
Marner: 1.55
Nylander: 1.45

ES CF%:
Marner: 50.46%
Nylander: 51.45%

ES GS/60:
Marner: 2.15
Nylander: 2.26

ES xGF%:
Marner: 51.15%
Nylander: 51.87%

ES ZSR:
Marner: 54.23
Nylander: 51.76

ES CF% QoT:
Marner: 50.71%
Nylander: 48.3%

ES Giveaways/60:
Marner: 2.41
Nylander: 1.91

View attachment 141261

View attachment 141263

It's unbelievable that everyone wants to give Marner $8m x 7, but won't break $7 for Nylander. There's just no basis for this at all. Marner is not a better player.

If Marner has a 60 some point season he won’t be making 8 million.

The difference right now is Marner has another shot at the season before contract. That’s just life and timing.

If Nylander and Marner both put up 80 + points, it won’t matter for Willy on a long term deal.

Reactions: dsred

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
If Marner has a 60 some point season he won’t be making 8 million.

The difference right now is Marner has another shot at the season before contract. That’s just life and timing.

If Nylander and Marner both put up 80 + points, it won’t matter for Willy on a long term deal.
Yup. Willie chose not to negotiate during last season and last year was his "put up or shut up" year.

He didn't "put up".

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Over 200 stitches, according to Wikipedia.

The day after the injury the Sun had a front page picture of him, wearing sunglasses, which hid a lot of the mess.

Unfortunately, with the shades on he looked very much like my brother (they are almost the same age), and I just about tore the newspaper box apart in my hurry to find out why my idiot brother was on the front page!
Haha! That's a great story. I saw the game when it happened and he finished that game like it was nothing.
My mom knew him but didn't know who he was. Just called him a crazy Swede haha

Reactions: Gary Nylund

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Careful! There's a few stats guys on here that have posted stats (like ROFL/60) that they claim show that Nylander is actually better away from Matthews and that Willie's play props Matthews up.

If anyone wants Nylander over Matthews, I have some magic beans they can buy.

Reactions: diceman934

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

Nobody is claiming Nylander props Matthews up. Nylanders improved advanced stats away from Matthews is most likely because of easier match ups. And Matthews drop in advanced stats away from Nylander has to do with playing with inferior line mates. What has been said, is that they allow each other to be better.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Salming along with Sittler were my two favorite players as a kid but he out of touch with how todays game is fiscally . Nice of him to care but he should really stay out if it .
Could you be any more wrong. Salming is running his own company/brand and understands finance far better then most people in the world. Maybe Salming will offer him a sponsor ship deal. Salming is among the most respected individuals in Sweden.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Oh no. According to others, I'm a big jerk too because I'm a team fan not a player fan.

Your not a jerk, just wrong

You can be a team fan but still believe Nylander isn't a "bad person" or "money grubbing sellout" because he's fighting for the best possible deal for himself

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Nobody is claiming Nylander props Matthews up. Nylanders improved advanced stats away from Matthews is most likely because of easier match ups. And Matthews drop in advanced stats away from Nylander has to do with playing with inferior line mates. What has been said, is that they allow each other to be better.
OK. I can accept that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Agree 100%, Marner couldn't ask for a better spot to put up points as a rookie. Two experienced line-mates who don't play much defence but are good offensively and sheltered match-ups to boot. Doesn't get much better than that.
I disagree as when you are chasing the game every time you do not have the puck makes it hard to produce. Playing with two line mates who could help get and maintain possession even playing against top lines showed just how well he could produced when he had help.

Reactions: Notsince67

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Your not a jerk, just wrong

You can be a team fan but still believe Nylander isn't a "bad person" or "money grubbing sellout" because he's fighting for the best possible deal for himself
I'm not one of those guys, and neither are most posters here. I have denounced the personal attacks on Willie and his father. They are out of bounds.

Unfortunately there are some in the player fan boy crew who lump everyone in one pile. Black and white.

I see shades of grey.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not one of those guys, and neither are most posters here. I have denounced the personal attacks on Willie and his father. They are out of bounds.

Unfortunately there are some in the player fan boy crew who lump everyone in one pile. Black and white.

I see shades of grey.

"Player fan boy crew"? Careful, that's very close to lumping people together on the other side and attacking them

Both sides lump people into piles, there is very little account being taken of anything that looks like grey area on either side

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
"Player fan boy crew"? Careful, that's very close to lumping people together on the other side and attacking them

Both sides lump people into piles, there is very little account being taken of anything that looks like grey area on either side
You're right you....you....

How about this: There are some fans that tend to favour the players side of things that think any criticism of any player is coming from Satan!

Reactions: Kiwi

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Almost nobody says this but okay. (The better away part).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You're right you....you....

How about this: There are some fans that tend to favour the players side of things that think any criticism of any player is coming from Satan!

I agree and there's some fans that back the teams position in exactly the same way

There isn't a lot of nuance unfortunately but it makes for an interesting debate

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
yep this is it. I just noticed Nick Ritchie is holding out! talk about no leverage 2 28 points seasons and you aren't snapping the ducks hands off whatever they are offering
Ha remember the old highlight when Don Cherry said the leafs made a mistake drafting nylander over Canadian player Nick Ritchie?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad