News Article: Borje Salming to call Nylander today and to persuade him to sign

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
- I'll call and talk to William. I think he must be careful about this, says Börje Salming.

"I think he should consider this carefully. Imagine if they do not agree and he ends up in another team instead, then everything that he has built up in Toronto can be ruined. There is always a risk of going to another team, you may not go with the coach and end up in the team, you never know.

Salming understands that there are big money involved, but stresses that there are other values. Now he will call Nylander to advise him.

Salmings krissamtal – varnar nu Nylander

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
This was mentioned a while ago here.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/nylander-contract-talk-vi.2542959/page-22#post-149719101

Can't imagine Salming could have any influence on things.

Well it does have some influence since he has been there done that. Even Sundin asked him for advice many times throughout his career and the most important decision of his life in whether to become a captain or not he even took advice on that. But you might be right since his father also played in NHL and can have more influence than Borje.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well it does have some influence since he has been there done that. Even Sundin asked him for advice many times throughout his career and the most important decision of his life in whether to become a captain or not he even took advice on that. But you might be right since his father also played in NHL and can have more influence than Borje.
Different world now than in Sundins day. Cap and CBA have so much more influence on the decision.
I'm sure Nylander wants to be in camp and already knows much of what Salming is going to tell him.

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
Why would Borje say this, puttning even more pressure on Nylander and making him look bad if he doesnt sign now? Salming should stay out of it.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Different world now than in Sundins day. Cap and CBA have so much more influence on the decision.
I'm sure Nylander wants to be in camp and already knows much of what Salming is going to tell him.
Could it potentially be Nylander wants to sign, but his dad is controlling the negotations too much?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Salming along with Sittler were my two favorite players as a kid but he out of touch with how todays game is fiscally . Nice of him to care but he should really stay out if it .
you do know Salming runs a multi-million dollar company he built himself, I don't think there's a chance he doesn't understand the business side of the game

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is just me and from what I've read, but isn't Michael overly involved in both sons? More-so Alex than William. I wonder what part he plays in this, if any.
Im not sure but wouldnt be surprised if he is playing a role here.

Reactions: Mork

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Really? Lol a phone call from Salming is to much pressure? I think he will be alright.

no a phone call that the world now knows about and if no action taken the hockey world will be saying "Nylander ignores hall of famer Salming's advice". If he just did it im sure it would have a great affect on willy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad