Borderlands 3 - Now officially official with BILLIONS of guns!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Such a scummy thing to do and it's becoming more and more common to blacklist people who have been critical of your games in the past. Publishers do this all of the time because it's such a small subset of people that actually know they're doing this. The average person might just look at IGN or Metacritic, see the positive score, and buy the game.

I still have full confidence that this game will be great and that I will love it, but publishers just get more shady by the day. I hate it.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Is there any actually publisher that has a good public image. Even Epic was riding a high until they decided to open a store. On the game, alot of streamers are starting to get early access. So if your interested in seeing what its like there are plenty of options.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Such a scummy thing to do and it's becoming more and more common to blacklist people who have been critical of your games in the past. Publishers do this all of the time because it's such a small subset of people that actually know they're doing this. The average person might just look at IGN or Metacritic, see the positive score, and buy the game.

I still have full confidence that this game will be great and that I will love it, but publishers just get more shady by the day. I hate it.

We like to joke about sites like IGN giving a minimum of a 7/10 to everything AAA, but it makes you think there's an actual fear behind it.

Of course, denying advance copies can't silence criticism and people can form their own ideas from places like YouTube and Twitch, but it does make you realize how much money is in the Day 1/FOMO/Pre-order world.

Either way, not a good look for 2K.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Is there any actually publisher that has a good public image. Even Epic was riding a high until they decided to open a store. On the game, alot of streamers are starting to get early access. So if your interested in seeing what its like there are plenty of options.

Focus Home Interactive is a pretty appreciated publisher right now, especially with the chances they've been taking on games and they've been paying off. They recently published Greedfall, A Plague Tale: Innocence and Vampyr. They are also doing publishing the upcoming The Surge 2.

Devolver, while not 100% perfect, generally has a good image with the public.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008

With the big boys? Not really, although some are worse than others. Closest would probably be Sony itself, as they seem to have a hands off "make us great games so we can sell consoles" approach.

There's a reason the indie scene surged back to life....at least until all the big guys buy them out. :laugh:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I remember hearing (it was probably on a Giant Bomb podcast, cause those are really the only gaming podcasts I listen to anymore) that some developers get big bonuses based off of their MC score and it's extremely important to the suits that don't actually deal with games and just look at $$$. I don't generally buy into the whole conspiracy theories when it comes to review sites and such, but man. The GB crew is about the only outlet I almost always fall in line with when it comes to opinions and they're very transparent and up front on almost everything. 2K is really punching itself in the dick this cycle.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Really odd thing to do, especially since it seems to be well received aside from a couple of outlets, but I guess if you're denying certain places access because of the tone of prior coverage, you probably expect mostly positive reviews. Just adds more negative light to how this game has been handled pre-launch. They've done a lot of work to build up some ill will.
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't really care. If they don't want to send the game early to people who weren't that positive then that is their prerogative. Games reviewers seem kind of entitled to get access to games early. If they are good at what they do they will not take it personally and review the game for what it is when it comes out. I do get the need to 'get your review out early' but even that is kind of BS, like they play the game a ton over a few days and act like they can review it properly.

I think it is a lot more interesting when people report on how a game is doing over the lifetime or an extended playthru. Anyway that's just how life works sometimes. A lot of these reviewers 'play the game' of mindless positive hype, they get their access and pump it up and it's all kind of meaningless, so who cares. Most fans are getting BL3 regardless of reviews.

Especially these days when someone who has a negative perspective can make a game seem terrible when hundreds of people have spent a lot of time on it... I totally get why they want to cover their bases, send it to predictable reviewers. and yeah as people said metacritic score seems to be huge these days so you want to protect that

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
And I legit think 2K doesn't give a ****.
They absolutely don't give one f*** about public perception. Their trailer for NBA2k20 included an advertisement for a literal slot machine within the game. They've been taken to task over their use of microtransactions, especially in NBA2K series, and they could not possibly care any less. It makes them insane amounts of money so consumers be damned. Sucks that they benefit from the $100 I dropped for BL3. Not that Gearbox are a bunch of saints either I guess...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
2K keeps piling on the bull****. 2K can **** right off. With this **** and their NBA 2K20 bull****, yeah, they can **** right off.

I get that it is pretty scummy but, if you don't mind me asking, why are this angry about it?

I mean, I expect BL3 to be pretty much exactly BL2 with better graphics and a few bells and whistles. Which is what I want so I'm pleased.

Refusing to hand out reviews is pathetic, but 2K is going to get that day one metacritic high score and they will reap the financial benefits of not having any "good but just more of the same" reviews dragging it down.

I wish it wasn't, I would prefer to live in a world where coward publishers are not the top dogs. But that is our world: 2K is absolutely correct in their assessment of the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichWVU

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I get that it is pretty scummy but, if you don't mind me asking, why are this angry about it?

I mean, I expect BL3 to be pretty much exactly BL2 with better graphics and a few bells and whistles.

Refusing to hand out reviews is pathetic, but 2K is going to get that day one metacritic high score and they will reap the financial benefits of not having any "good but just more of the same" reviews dragging it down.

I wish it wasn't, I would prefer to live in a world where coward publishers are not the top dogs. But that is our world: 2K is absolutely correct in their assessment of the situation.

Because if 2K gets away with all of this, I can guarantee you other companies, such as EA and Activision going down as far as 2K. Imagine EA doing it this f***ing terribly to FIFA, Madden or NHL where everything is based on you paying real money to move along in the game. While NBA 2K20 is not something I'm going to play, the precedence that it sets is seriously dangerous.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Watched some footage on Twitch last night. Looks like Borderlands alright, and that's a good thing. The guns look and sound greatly improved, in particular.

I stopped watching to avoid spoilers for when I (eventually) play this game.

I have to say, I think those villains will be really annoying...might be an unfortunate change from the humour Jack brought.

Yea they're pretty trash with the **** they do. The **** they did to Supmatto was insane. He was my favourite borderlands YouTuber.

Was that the guy they sent PIs after?

I'm surprised that came from 2K....seems like the level of weird that would qualify as a Randy Pitchford special. :laugh:

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think I've only pre-ordered like one game in the last decade, and it was about 3 days early after reviews from an outlet I trust said how good it was and I was 100% going to purchase day one anyway.

Until a game is played by real people without any skin in the game, it's hard to really honestly judge something. Even with a place like GB (the only outlet I honestly 100% trust) gives a game great reviews, I just can't get on board until I start seeing players talk about it organically on Reddit or wherever.

I don't doubt that this game will please a lot of people, but there's been soooo much shady **** around it that I wouldn't touch this thing for a few weeks after launch even if it was a must have for me. I imagine this is one I'll wait for my local library to get.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think I've only pre-ordered like one game in the last decade, and it was about 3 days early after reviews from an outlet I trust said how good it was and I was 100% going to purchase day one anyway.

Until a game is played by real people without any skin in the game, it's hard to really honestly judge something. Even with a place like GB (the only outlet I honestly 100% trust) gives a game great reviews, I just can't get on board until I start seeing players talk about it organically on Reddit or wherever.

I don't doubt that this game will please a lot of people, but there's been soooo much shady **** around it that I wouldn't touch this thing for a few weeks after launch even if it was a must have for me. I imagine this is one I'll wait for my local library to get.

I think a lot is riding on BL3 after the disaster that was Battleborn. They really need a homerun and so they are using every trick in the book.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think a lot is riding on BL3 after the disaster that was Battleborn. They really need a homerun and so they are using every trick in the book.

I love Borderlands and I know Gearbox needs a big win, but with Randy at the helm and 2K doing what they're doing, it's possible it doesn't have the same legs as the first two main line games. Not Battleborn bad, but still. Randy seems to only care about doing what he wants and to get paid and 2K gives literally no shits about what the public thinks. That ignorance is going to f*** them hard.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
My favorite content creator from BL2, Admiral Bahroo, says he's loving the game and he seemed to love BL2 for the same reasons I did. I'm still just watching the clock in anticipation for this game to launch. T minus ~7 hours.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I probably mentioned this before in this thread but I literally developed trigger finger (tendonitis) from playing BL2 so much.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

Battleborn was so much fun. It was killed because too many people didn't understand the difference between it and Overwatch and assumed they were in competition with each other, despite being very different games.

If they had staggered the release date better, it could have been a successful game

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Because if 2K gets away with all of this, I can guarantee you other companies, such as EA and Activision going down as far as 2K. Imagine EA doing it this ****ing terribly to FIFA, Madden or NHL where everything is based on you paying real money to move along in the game. While NBA 2K20 is not something I'm going to play, the precedence that it sets is seriously dangerous.

I get that part, I just don't fully get why it seems to make you so angry. They are just reviews, they don't really matter when it comes to your personal enjoyment of any given game.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I get that part, I just don't fully get why it seems to make you so angry. They are just reviews, they don't really matter when it comes to your personal enjoyment of any given game.

The reviews no, sorry, I guess I went on a tangent. I'm glad the reviews are good, but it's still pretty f***ing stupid to not only close them in with specific Epic accounts, but not even giving them the full game or even going outside the US. And their excuse for not giving it to Giant Bomb is dubious at best. Still, f*** 2K.

Reactions: SeidoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad