Borderlands 3 - Now officially official with BILLIONS of guns!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
About 2.5 hours in. I’ve seem a couple glitches(an enemy phased through a wall, at one point I dropped a ton of frames for a second or two), but the gameplay is excellent. It’s Borderlands, stupid humor, off the wall characters and all. Guns sound and handle really well, the alternate firing modes on some guns is awesome, and there’s loot everywhere.

I started with Fl4k and am using the action skill that allows you to go invisible and have your next three shots be instant critical. It’s nutty with a sniper or shotty. Having a blast.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Gameplay is vastly improved for sure. Ghuns feel and ound better, there's hitmarkers, enemies react to being shot, enemies use cover better and move around more, you can slide and vault thing easily for quicker access to certain spots, the new manufactures are feel good, and there's a lot more options in builds. So far so good.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The reviews no, sorry, I guess I went on a tangent. I'm glad the reviews are good, but it's still pretty ****ing stupid to not only close them in with specific Epic accounts, but not even giving them the full game or even going outside the US. And their excuse for not giving it to Giant Bomb is dubious at best. Still, **** 2K.

There are plenty of reasons to be less than pleased with 2K :laugh:

I think when this comes out it looks bad on 2K, but IMO it looks worse on review outlets giving a score. I don't know how you can, in good conscience, review a reportedly partial and broken ass build of a game and give it an official rating. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I feel like this is a significant breach of trust with your readers/watchers.

I don't know about all of you folks, but this is yet another notch on my belt of "why I don't trust review scores"....and it's a biggun.

That said, at least it doesn't look like they were wrong. The game looks really fun.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
About 2.5 hours in. I’ve seem a couple glitches(an enemy phased through a wall, at one point I dropped a ton of frames for a second or two), but the gameplay is excellent. It’s Borderlands, stupid humor, off the wall characters and all. Guns sound and handle really well, the alternate firing modes on some guns is awesome, and there’s loot everywhere.

I started with Fl4k and am using the action skill that allows you to go invisible and have your next three shots be instant critical. It’s nutty with a sniper or shotty. Having a blast.

Sweet. Good to hear. As much as I wanted to keep my pre-order, I just couldn't justify it until I read some reviews and most of what I have read has been positive.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Sweet. Good to hear. As much as I wanted to keep my pre-order, I just couldn't justify it until I read some reviews and most of what I have read has been positive.
Yeah I totally understand. I would say that if you liked BL2 you will almost certainly like BL3. It feels very much like a vastly improved version of that game. I'm only at like level 10 though because I had to go into work today after all :( Have yet to find my first legendary, but I haven't farmed any of the bosses. Think I'll probably just play through the game the first time.

My only complaint so far is a couple of the side quests were real chores. The story/humor to go along with it made it worth doing the first time, but I don't know that I'll do them frequently on my playthroughs after I've heard the jokes a few times. I had the same complaint in BL2 also. The quests that make you drive all over the place to collect random stuff just aren't that appealing to me after I've heard the story elements behind them.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

I think when this comes out it looks bad on 2K, but IMO it looks worse on review outlets giving a score. I don't know how you can, in good conscience, review a reportedly partial and broken ass build of a game and give it an official rating. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I feel like this is a significant breach of trust with your readers/watchers.

I don't know about all of you folks, but this is yet another notch on my belt of "why I don't trust review scores"....and it's a biggun.

That said, at least it doesn't look like they were wrong. The game looks really fun.

I agree here. I think 2k is garbage for handling it like this and I think if the reviewer doesn't have a lengthy bit up front about the conditions in which the game was reviewed, that's an enormous problem. To just review it and put it out there as if you played the final build that your readers will get day one is a damn shame.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah I totally understand. I would say that if you liked BL2 you will almost certainly like BL3. It feels very much like a vastly improved version of that game. I'm only at like level 10 though because I had to go into work today after all :( Have yet to find my first legendary, but I haven't farmed any of the bosses. Think I'll probably just play through the game the first time.

My only complaint so far is a couple of the side quests were real chores. The story/humor to go along with it made it worth doing the first time, but I don't know that I'll do them frequently on my playthroughs after I've heard the jokes a few times. I had the same complaint in BL2 also. The quests that make you drive all over the place to collect random stuff just aren't that appealing to me after I've heard the story elements behind them.
Yeah, that has always been the cast with BL, at least from what I remember. Very excited to get it now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Basically the only thing that really matters is marketing and good day one reviews. Publishers don't care about what Youtubers say, they care about sales. Youtubers also like to consider themselves important but they really aren't, they are riding a wave and they didn't make the wave.

I very much doubt that how 2k handled this will have any lasting effect since everyone seems very pleased with the game. If your product doesn't suck and you can manipulate/control the message in the early going, you will move a lot of copies.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Basically the only thing that really matters is marketing and good day one reviews. Publishers don't care about what Youtubers say, they care about sales. Youtubers also like to consider themselves important but they really aren't, they are riding a wave and they didn't make the wave.

Regardless of the medium or audience of individual reviewers, it's a mark against anyone who released an "early" review score IMO.

Unless they were trying to make themselves and reviews in general even less trustworthy, in which case - job well done!

I very much doubt that how 2k handled this will have any lasting effect since everyone seems very pleased with the game. If your product doesn't suck and you can manipulate/control the message in the early going, you will move a lot of copies.

Likely true.

If the game was a turd, it would be a major issue. As it is in fact good, I expect it will blow over. For the record, I don't think it should be held against the game at all.

Still, I personally will walk away paying even less attention to those reviewers in question.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The frame rate when opening menus is godawful. Really inexcusable to have that happen when they’ve supposedly been “polishing” the game for months.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just started playing it a bit today. Other than some enemies glitching every now and then the gameplay is fine. It hasn’t blown me away yet but the story is slowly sucking me in.

2K keeps piling on the bull****. 2K can **** right off. With this **** and their NBA 2K20 bull****, yeah, they can **** right off.

2K is really trying it's damnedest to race to the bottom as fast as possible.

You misspelled 2K. It’s spelled ‘EA’.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Regardless of the medium or audience of individual reviewers, it's a mark against anyone who released an "early" review score IMO.

Unless they were trying to make themselves and reviews in general even less trustworthy, in which case - job well done!

Likely true.

If the game was a turd, it would be a major issue. As it is in fact good, I expect it will blow over. For the record, I don't think it should be held against the game at all.

Still, I personally will walk away paying even less attention to those reviewers in question.

Maybe it is my old age but I really don't care about reviews whatsoever anymore.

We have access to so much information and video games are so well understood that you don't need a review to get a feel for if a game is up your alley.

Reviews aren't useless, but I really do not give a flying **** about them. It is really difficult to empathise with Youtubers acting as if they were entitled to review copies when they don't actually produce anything worthwhile, they just get views from people who are usually very lonely.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Okay, I bought the super deluxe edition on Epic. I plaed as Roland on 1, Axton for 2, and Wilhelm for the Pre Sequel. Which starting character for 3 would suit me best?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Probably Zane. He has deployable tech similar to both Roland's turret and Wilheim's robots. And Axton too obviously.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The frame rate when opening menus is godawful. Really inexcusable to have that happen when they’ve supposedly been “polishing” the game for months.
This doesn't really make sense. You can polish a game for years doesn't mean it's going to look and fun good if the hardware is outdated like the base consoles. The ps4 especially wasn't even powerful when it came out. It's been 99% smooth for me on PC.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Got my first two legendary weapons(not including the Deluxe Edition ones) within like ten minutes of each other. One was from a red chest after defeating a boss and the other was from killing a mini boss. Don’t think I got a legendary from either of those sources in BL2.

Unfortunately they’re both SMGs so it’s tough to use them both. One takes like half a second to charge and then as you shoot it alternates automatically between radiation and shock. It has been slaying everything. Haven’t messed with the other too much. Don’t know it’s special effect yet.

Gets me excited to play some more.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Got my first two legendary weapons(not including the Deluxe Edition ones) within like ten minutes of each other. One was from a red chest after defeating a boss and the other was from killing a mini boss. Don’t think I got a legendary from either of those sources in BL2.

Unfortunately they’re both SMGs so it’s tough to use them both. One takes like half a second to charge and then as you shoot it alternates automatically between radiation and shock. It has been slaying everything. Haven’t messed with the other too much. Don’t know it’s special effect yet.

Gets me excited to play some more.

I got it yesterday after my closing, along with NHL 20 and a used copy Gran Turismo Sport for $14. Had a poker tournament last night so couldn't boot up but once I am done taking my son shopping for fall clothes, its on. It is a rainy, cloudy day here and the perfect day to binge on video games.

Reactions: 542365

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Level 23 now. Just had the toughest boss fight yet. I love how they’re balanced in this game. They’re tough, but definitely still manageable solo if you have decent gear. Just as it should be.

Legendary weapons are more common now. I’ve come across about a half dozen so far, not including the preorder bonus. That’s without farming any bosses.

Fl4k is great, but I’m excited to try out Moze next. Will be a while though as I want to get through TVHM with my first character.

Well, back to it.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think one of the grenades I got is glitched. It does way too much damage. I killed a boss with two of them and basically no other damage. It just died almost instantly and I think it was supposed to be a pretty epic battle.

Seems like grenades in BL3 are crazy powerful(at least on normal mode). They were always good in BL2, but now I've had a few grenades that just absolutely wreck everything.

It was the second vault boss. This giant creature seems like he should take quite a while to kill, but I threw two grenades at him and his health just melted away. It was bizarre. It's one that explodes on contact with an enemy and then spawns like 5 more grenades, well they all blew up on him and he just ate it. Was a pretty lackluster fight because of that. The first vault boss was a fun fight. I think they have the various stages to each boss fight to keep this sort of thing from happening(like how Zer0 could use Bore to kill Bunker in like a second with any weapon in BL2). On my next playtrhough I'll actually battle him. He dropped a pretty sweet legendary though. It's basically a blowtorch and it just shreds any flesh based enemy, especially when I'm doing extreme critical damage while in Fade Away with Fl4k.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Supposedly someone refunded BL3 on EGS, located the install directory and was still able to launch the game and play it.

Too bad some reputable outlets didn't get a copy because of security concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad