Borderlands 3 - Now officially official with BILLIONS of guns!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
On a few of these bosses, i cheated by putting the game on easy mode.

Made it way easier to kill troy for example. On normal, his bs ball attacks would take out my entire shield in one hit. On easy, they barely made a dent in my shields.
Troy was by far the hardest boss fight for me. That and the floating ball guy. That was a pain in the ass.

I think if you quit and come back into the Troy fight he hits a lot weaker. I don't know why, but I played him like a dozen times and got frustrated. I quit back to the main menu thinking about being done for a while, but then decided I had nothing better to do and jumped back in. the first ten seconds of the fight I ate one of those ball attacks and it did like basically no damage. It happened again later in the fight. I don't know if this was intentional, just a glitch, or I'm crazy, but I swear it happened. They were wrecking my shield in one hit and then suddenly they did nothing making it a very easy fight. I didn't turn down the difficulty or anything, just quit to the main menu and back in.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Were you guys fighting Troy on normal or are you talking about Mayhem modes or UVHM? I just beat him on the first time around and he was one of the easier for me.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Were you guys fighting Troy on normal or are you talking about Mayhem modes or UVHM? I just beat him on the first time around and he was one of the easier for me.
I was on normal mode. I ended up beating him today. I got a really good SMG and just unloaded on him.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
so i was getting my assed kicked by traunt and decided to finish side missions to level up and get better guns(was level 13)...now im getting wrecked by killavolt..im level 15..no more side missions...so i just have these 2 bosses...thinking i dont have the best guns for killavolt..any pointers?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
so i was getting my assed kicked by traunt and decided to finish side missions to level up and get better guns(was level 13)...now im getting wrecked by killavolt..im level 15..no more side missions...so i just have these 2 bosses...thinking i dont have the best guns for killavolt..any pointers?

Unfortunately, no. I faced the same issue. I was able to kill Traunt once I figured out the patterns of his ice/fire balls.

I'm still level 16 with mostly epic gear and still getting my cajones kicked in my Killavolt.

When you get to Katagawa ball, there is a spot you can hide and it prevents you from taking almost any damage. Space Laser Tag should be your next story mission.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Playing through with 2 people( both Fl4k) for the first time on Normal, the only boss we wiped on was the Agonizer 9000(we had to do the fight a second time and were able to beat him).

Similar gripe in that one to the Killavolt fight -- essentially unavoidable damage sucks and is a lazy, lame mechanic. The Calypso fights among several others are tough but not unfairly so, and have much more fun mechanics. Artifacts that could add elemental damage reduction for those kind of phases aren't even an option for low level characters. Basically your option is finding a good shield that has fire/shock resist. There are probably some orange items that help too but I'm not familar enough with the loot yet to list them.

Going to start a playthrough on TVHM, but first we're trying out Mayhem 1 on some skipped lategame sidequests. definitely makes a noticeable difference.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
Hmmmm... I was having better luck with traunt so maybe with a little more patience and 24 hr break I will have another go at him...

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Hmmmm... I was having better luck with traunt so maybe with a little more patience and 24 hr break I will have another go at him...

If you have Eridium check the vending machine downstairs in Sanctuary. I've had to buy a few weapons from there to help me kill some earlier bosses.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
If you have Eridium check the vending machine downstairs in Sanctuary. I've had to buy a few weapons from there to help me kill some earlier bosses.
I haven't done that yet, probably should. Finished the first vault last night and got my first legendary (shotgun). I have to say, that was probably the easiest boss fight of the game so far.

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
hmmm..was wondering where i could spend my eridium...thanks....i went back for traunt and found the sweet spot where i didn't take damage from his balls and took him down...yay....on to space laser tag :)

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
hmmm..was wondering where i could spend my eridium...thanks....i went back for traunt and found the sweet spot where i didn't take damage from his balls and took him down...yay....on to space laser tag :)

If you are severely under leveled like I was, there is a spot where you can hide and completely cheese the Space Laser Tag boss fight. Normally I hate using that kind of stuff but even doing some of the side missions I find myself to be badly under leveled and I have never had this happen in a previous borderlands game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Am I the only one who thought Tyreen had some really cringeworthy dialogue? Hard to take her seriously as a villain.

Honestly the writing in the second game wasn't very good either. Handsome Jack worked as a villain because of the (whacky) universe more so than on his own merit.

Although the whole "evil streamer" thing was especially bad.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Jack worked because he was also sympathetic to a degree.

His mission, on the surface appears to be justifiable. He wants all bandits wiped off the face of Pandora because they essentially killed his wife and forced him to lock his daughter away (we learn in the Childhood's End side mission that had that not happened, Jack might not slowly descend into being a pure psychopath)

He had everything essentially taken away from him by bandits, vault hunters screwed him in his quest to open the vault to deal with the bandit problem, to the point he goes insane after seeing visions of the Warrior and what he needs to do, then having said thing showing the visions branded to his face. Then you kill his girlfriend just because you can.

Because of what happens in pre sequel, vault hunters are now an enemy too, so in a really twisted way, you as the player are kind of an ***hole and Jack is actually the good guy.

Tyreen and Troy are just absolute trash, regardless of comparison to Jack. No depth, no personality outside of "edgy twitch streamers who are the personification of cringe if created as a character"

Troy seemed like he was showing a massive ego as he seemed to get annoyed by being in his sister's shadow, but that dies about as fast as he does with no substance. Which is why the reach for that reallllly lame shock value twist in the story with Maya. Not only does it fail to achieve what they set out to do (make you hate the bad guys), it makes you hate one of the protagonist for being a whiny ***** about it. A+ writing.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Just finished the story. I don't know why, but to me the story felt very third person. I didn't feel like my character was really engaged with Tyreen and Troy storyline. Every single time they showed up, I was never around (or I guess just watching everything that happened). Gameplay is awesome as always, I will be starting the next campaign, but the story for a 10 year wait could have been better.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Just finished the story. I don't know why, but to me the story felt very third person. I didn't feel like my character was really engaged with Tyreen and Troy storyline. Every single time they showed up, I was never around (or I guess just watching everything that happened). Gameplay is awesome as always, I will be starting the next campaign, but the story for a 10 year wait could have been better.

Just out of curiosity, which character did you use?

I am doing my first play through as Zane and I couldn't feel differently. I think his dialogue at times is hilarious and engaging. :dunno:

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
If you are severely under leveled like I was, there is a spot where you can hide and completely cheese the Space Laser Tag boss fight. Normally I hate using that kind of stuff but even doing some of the side missions I find myself to be badly under leveled and I have never had this happen in a previous borderlands game.
i think i found it after a couple trys ..didn't have much trouble..what else could you do lol

still have Killavolt but theres no where to hide there...im level 18 so i will try again at 20

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
i think i found it after a couple trys ..didn't have much trouble..what else could you do lol

still have Killavolt but theres no where to hide there...im level 18 so i will try again at 20
Now that I have my first legendary, I think I am going to give Killavolt another shot. If you find a good strategy for beating him, let me know!

Reactions: mmalady

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Finished my first playthrough (as Fl4K).

Thoughts (spoilers I guess?)

- Hardest boss was Billy the Anointed. Apparently hes been nerfed since I faced him though
- Really disappointed in the loot that the end game (Troy, Tyreen, the Vault, Lilith's room) provided. Aside from two Legendaries that I got from Lilith (one of which was a useless Bearcat) Im not even sure I got an Epic. Mostly Greens.
- Liked the revelation that Typhon is the Calypso's father
- The sidequest where you learn about Angel was heartbreaking. Was a gut punch emotionally I wasnt expecting from Borderlands. Moreso then Tina's DLC in BL2
- Lilith isnt dead IMO.

Decided to start a new playthrough with Moze. Going to go back to Fl4K when the DLC drops I think

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Now that I have my first legendary, I think I am going to give Killavolt another shot. If you find a good strategy for beating him, let me know!

How did you make out? I remember I did a lot of jumping in that fight, as lame as that is as a tip. FL4Ks pets are a good distraction too.

I didnt have a crazy hard time with him, although Ive heard some people were experiencing a bug where his floor attack hit you no matter where you were. I did not encounter that.

Are you getting Golden Keys from Twitter? They help get some gear from the Golden Chest. Also Crazy Earl sells some really good stuff at times too.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
How did you make out? I remember I did a lot of jumping in that fight, as lame as that is as a tip. FL4Ks pets are a good distraction too.

I didnt have a crazy hard time with him, although Ive heard some people were experiencing a bug where his floor attack hit you no matter where you were. I did not encounter that.

Are you getting Golden Keys from Twitter? They help get some gear from the Golden Chest. Also Crazy Earl sells some really good stuff at times too.

I got one but most expire by the time I get home from the office.

I got my ass kicked again :laugh: The legendary shotgun has shock damage so Killavolt basically laughed it off and proceeded to wipe the floor with me.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I got one but most expire by the time I get home from the office.

I got my ass kicked again :laugh: The legendary shotgun has shock damage so Killavolt basically laughed it off and proceeded to wipe the floor with me.

Get a couple keys and glitch them. I lost everything in my bank so I emailed them and they said they can’t do anything about it. They gave me 20 golden keys then I just glitched the hell out of them now I have over 500 golden keys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad