Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I can never see that name and not crack up if only because of A Confederacy of Dunces. :laugh:

Have you read it?

confederacy of dunces? Yea isn’t this his favourite book? I forget most of that book. But him with the hotdog sticking out of his mouth acting as if it’s a cigar still makes me chuckle .

Reactions: Pink Mist

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51UAmNf52ZL._SX320_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
confederacy of dunces? Yea isn’t this his favourite book? I forget most of that book. But him with the hotdog sticking out of his mouth acting as if it’s a cigar still makes me chuckle .

Yeah. He calls everything after Boethius 'mostly dangerous propaganda' (Renaissance, Enlightenment, Romantic, Victorian, etc.) and the only contemporary stuff he respects is Batman comic books. Christ, what a book. Probably my favorite literary comedy along with Pnin.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yeah. He calls everything after Boethius 'mostly dangerous propaganda' (Renaissance, Enlightenment, Romantic, Victorian, etc.) and the only contemporary stuff he respects is Batman comic books. Christ, what a book. Probably my favorite literary comedy along with Pnin.

I remember laughing out loud quite a bit .you’ve now made me want to re-read it soon. Haha

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'm reading a pulpy paperback from George Axelrod (screenwriter of The Seven Year Itch, The Manchurian Candidate and Breakfast at Tiffany's among other works ...). It's called Blackmailer. About halfway through and I'm enjoying it quite a bit but there's a wild bit of setup in it I can't help but share...

The mystery centers on the last unpublished book of a famed writer. This fictitious writer was ... born in Missouri, fought in WWI, is a burly man's man, known for hunting, sport fishing and all sorts of globe trotting adventures and to cap it all off accidentally killed himself while cleaning a hunting rifle.

Sounds a lot like Ernest Hemingway right?

The weird thing is this book came out in 1952. Hemingway didn't die until 61 when he "accidentally" shot himself while cleaning a hunting rifle.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
About sixty percent through Revolutionary Road. Short of a spectacular collapse, I'm pretty confident in saying that I'd hold it up as the greatest artwork (all artforms included) in the realism genre that I'm aware of. Colossal masterpiece. I'm gaga over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thucydides

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
After honeymooning in Maine and eating at the same restaurant as Paul Newman, I had to pick up a copy of Empire Falls from my local library. So far, it's absolutely splendid. The Pulitzer Prize winning novel was written as an elegy to the American blue collar man and his working-class ambitions, but I find that like many works published around the millennium, it serves as a fascinating time capsule to pre-9/11 life in America.

The characters feel so real, and I love how the main character is cast as sort of the wise everyman, but he completely lacks in self-awareness and has at least up until this point in the novel been victim to his own fate and unable to accept that he deserves a better life. Richard Russo, the author, has really made the characters represent the American class struggles writ small.

Hopefully the back-half of the book is as gripping as the first. If anyone hasn't read it yet, then it's highly recommended.

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
Shogun by James Clavell, a British sailor crashlands in Japan during the beginning of the Edo era, meets a famous Shogun, and learns the ways of the Japanese. Epic in scope, great as a primer to Japanese culture even if you don't know anything. I'm writing an essay about this book. I found writing service https://gpalabs.com/ to help me with that task. They are pro in writing.

Last edited:

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
71PJC+ck-9L.jpg

How an ideological dispute over Jesus' nature, became a lethal physical fight. Kinda dry reading so far, but I've only (slowly) got thru the opening 20-25 pages..

Reactions: Richard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad