Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
16150726.jpg

Reactions: Thucydides

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just started Martin Amis' autobiographical novel Inside Story. Really looking forward to it as conversational Amis is a delight to be around.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
71XP4ehJAUL.jpg

Doctor tries to unravel the mystery of why people with virtually identical health afflictions, can have very different outcomes.. I guess it's somewhat intuitive that happy people & people with a sense of purpose will fare better, but she documents it..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
9780451488985_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

New 2021 book.. Don't know why I'm reading another Washington biography, I'll already know all this sh*t..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
71USncy2rjL.jpg

Good theory on who was Jack on the Ripper. There's an early chapter on Victorian criminal psychology ('Setting the Stage'), that I feel runs too long. But this is one of the more credible, substantiated Ripper theories I've heard. Ordered this one from Wal*Mart :baghead:, and it got here in a hurry.. impressive delivery time for a book.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
You f***ers never post what the book is about like we're all literary nerds that will just know based on cover.

Anyways, reading The Foundation, first Anisimov book I've read. He does create a real sprawling world and I can see why he was respected, tiring read though two-thirds of the way in but a good one. Gonna go with something more grounded next though, Anxious People.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
You f***ers never post what the book is about like we're all literary nerds that will just know based on cover.

Anyways, reading The Foundation, first Anisimov book I've read. He does create a real sprawling world and I can see why he was respected, tiring read though two-thirds of the way in but a good one. Gonna go with something more grounded next though, Anxious People.

We usually post what the book is about in the “last book you read....” thread. :)

Reactions: End of Line

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
7559537F-5DCC-4E59-849F-0F193A972898.jpeg

Back to reading again. Dealt with some serious personal things and I quit reading bc of it. So being able to enjoy books again is very welcoming.

About 2/3’s through and I can’t help but think that world is going to be a mish mash of Blade Runner and The Running Man. Some of the material being discussed is eerie as f***.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
9781644134054.jpg

I'm almost finished with this read.. something the author definitely gets right in my opinion- the contemporary debate over Columbus usually isn't about the merits of Columbus' life. It's really a referendum on how the debaters feel about the spread (and content) of Western civilization. I think Royal does a good job presenting Columbus' life in that context.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Actually, I was re-reading this howler of a quote and decided I'll make quick work of The Double again before going with Revolutionary Road. Dostoyevsky was a comedic genius:

“He could not consent to allow himself to be insulted, still less to allow himself to be treated as a rag, and, above all, to allow a thoroughly vicious man to treat him so. No quarrelling, however, no quarrelling! Possibly if some one wanted, if some one, for instance, actually insisted on turning Mr. Golyadkin into a rag, he might have done so, might have done so without opposition or punishment (Mr. Golyadkin was himself conscious of this at times), and he would have been a rag and not Golyadkin - yes, a nasty, filthy rag; but that rag would not have been a simple rag, it would have been a rag possessed of dignity, it would have been a rag possessed of feelings and sentiments, even though dignity was defenceless and feelings could not assert themselves, and lay hidden deep down in the filthy folds of the rag, still the feelings there...”

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

So...

d4ep1hx-84de2aae-58b9-44b1-b7ac-4b0702b37dcf.jpg

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
51cQgQ6iFwL.jpg

Each chapter is a different writer briefly commenting on themes and characters from Shakespeare's 'The Merchant of Venice'.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad