Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli--just kind of interested to see how it plays in the present moment

Reactions: stingo and GB

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Flame: Poems and Selections from Notebooks by Leonard Cohen

No real reason for reading it outside of curiosity.

Reactions: stingo

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
The Prince, by Niccolo Machiavelli--just kind of interested to see how it plays in the present moment

Read it in university. There are no insights to be gained reading that for the average person living today, the book had a very specific target audience and that is rarely applicable in the modern world.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Let me know what you think of this. Recently read Malone Dies from The Trilogy and loved it so I definitely would have an interest in Molloy and The Unnamable.

I gave up on this about 2 pages in. Not in the right mood to read an avant- grade novel at the moment. I’m sure I’ll like it though.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility. Because I have too little of the former and not enough of the latter.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Nineteen Seventy Seven by David Peace. Book two of his Red Riding Quartet. Have had these on my "to read" list for years and finally cracked them open. Great (if often unpleasant) stuff so far. His style reminds me a lot of toned-down version of James Ellroy who I love.

Reactions: GB

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Journey Through Genius: the great theorems of mathematics

I read a couple chapters a couple years ago or so, so this is on my book reading list. It seemed pretty good from what I recall.

How to Play the Flute: practical advice for beginners

Lots of textual content, rather than straight sheet music. This is quick and easy so far, as I'm not exactly a beginner anymore. I'm trying to improve fundamentals.

Student Solutions Manual for Stewart's Single Variable Calculus: early transcendentals

So far, so good.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Gonna lighten up for the remainder of the year with a trio of mysteries starting with the new Ian Rankin book in the Inspector Rebus series, In a House of Lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad