Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
4929.jpg

Also will be reading The Little Prince .

Reactions: Winger98 and GB

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
51WKzDzu8fL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dead Wake - Erik Larson

After Devil in the White City I reckoned I'd give this a go. Admittedly didn't know much about this Lusitania story, it's like a more intense Titanic.

Except, you know it's coming from Chapter one. And like Devil in the White City seems like it's a lot of filler around the actual event. Still not entirely sure where the 4 chapters of Woodrow Wilson's courtship of Edith are going. Or what the hell we need to know the story of a NYC boat inspector who grew up in blah blah that has a twist of Paul Harvey, he would one day be the pilot in WWII of the Argyle or whatever. Then never is mentioned again.

Thing I like about these Larson novels, or non-fiction accounts is that you're interested in what happens and Larson knows you want the goods. Every chapter feels like friggin clickbait though. "A coal worker who didn't go on the Titanic ended up on the Lusitania, and here's a chapter why!"

Tell me the story!

And like Devil in the White City again, I'm sitting here reading page 400 of 650 being like "oh here we go"... If it ends in the same "the ship sunk people died and Germany lost the war, but it was a glorious vessel of 30,000 tonnes of cargo, including an estimated 300 pounds of caviar" I will lose it.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Short Science Fiction written in late 90's. Predicted market crash along with other tech inventions. First in a series...looking forward to part two next year apparently.

51v-a0WnmrL._SX260_.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wind-up_Bird_Chronicle.jpg

re-reading this. It was actually my introduction to Murakami when I stumbled upon this in a remainder bin in an old Waldenbooks store in a mall that's also sadly gone now. So many books I would have never read if I hadn't had places like Borders and Waldenbooks to peruse the shelves and impulsively buy from the clearance racks.

Reactions: GB and stingo

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Still plowing through The Brothers Karamazov, about midway through. The book is so Russian that I keep wanting to order borscht and drink copious amounts of vodka.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Picked up this today. Girl told me they were going to sell out , that was this morning. Loved Woodward’s All the Presidents Men, so looking forward to this later tonight .

35e13cb0-2912-45e8-ab31-5bbcb5a00abc-AP_Fall_Books.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wrigley and GB

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
upload_2018-9-12_9-12-5.jpeg

Have to read this for a short story class I'm taking this fall. I've read a majority of the stories in this collection, but there are a few I haven't gotten around to yet. When I think Stephen King short story, "The Boogeyman" always comes to mind. Luckily, said short story is in this collection, so I'm hoping the rest of the stories are as good as "The Boogeyman."

Reactions: stingo and GB

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I’m looking forward to your review on this one.

I keep putting them off because Russia's literary bricks appear too time-consuming for me to read in a way that would be productive but I really need to read the longer works of writers like Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy. I'm obsessed with their shorter pieces.

Last edited:
Reactions: GB and stingo

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Still plowing through The Brothers Karamazov, about midway through. The book is so Russian that I keep wanting to order borscht and drink copious amounts of vodka.

What the hell is stopping you? You could also have an extramarital affair with a flawed, inaccessible sultress. That's a Russian cultural staple too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad