Pre-Game Talk: Bolts in the Bubble | Phase 4 - The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs in Toronto & Edmonton

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Isn't part of the reason they're rushing this final with a back to back because it's costing them a million bucks a day or whatever? That's definitely more expensive than just playing like it's a normal game.

I don't see the players going for a bubble that can last for 4 months, either. Not without some breaks at least.
A million a day, if they aren't playing a game is the issue. There'd be a game every single day in the bubbles, possibly multiple on the weekends.

COVID safety doesn't go away. At this point of the bubble, they probably don't need to test everyone daily. Everyone has been good and that's a huge expense right there.

But now you're introducing travel and needing every arena to be compliant with local and league safety standards. Those arenas would also (maybe) be housing other events.

Just running the ice in the buildings all season is expensive and you're using it maybe a few hours a week, needing the arena staff to come out and change the floor after events.

If/when the league loses money, it's coming out of the players share via escrow.

edit: small optimization. If teams play 3.5 games a week (say Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) then it cuts the season length of 14 weeks down to 12.

Sundays after football takes a hike can be filled with multiple games per rink per day (1 & 7pm), so that makes it go quicker. There's also no potential for a 6-hour game in the regular season, so you've got some certainty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I thought this was interesting:
This led to gossip among the players in the bubble that some teams were getting benefits that others weren't. One Eastern Conference veteran said there was jealousy about which teams had access to roof decks and which teams had the better spreads of food. "Some teams like Florida really didn't have much in the way of this or that [in the bubble]. But Montreal, in their little practice area, had wraps and smoothies and everything, ready to rock and roll. That's a team that's got deep pockets," he said.

In Toronto, players were generally happy with the setup, especially those staying at Hotel X, where there were plenty of perks, including a rooftop pool. BMO Field, where Toronto FC plays, was included in the bubble, and players could go there to kick around a ball, grab lunch or catch a hockey game on a big screen.
In Edmonton, logistics weren't as ideal.

"There were times I didn't go outside for four, five days," said a Western Conference player who spent weeks in the bubble. "Some teams had meeting rooms with balconies, and those guys could go out there and get some sun. Other teams' rooms were in the middle of the hotel. So there's no windows, no light. You're always in your room. And unless you go out to the prison yard -- which is in a 'courtyard,' but it was an oval concrete slab with a freaking Tim Horton's truck in it and fencing around it -- you don't get any fresh air at all."
Players are going to remember this when it's time to sign contracts in free agency. EDIT: I think I misread something vis-a-vis Edmonton. Also edited out spoiler tags because it's not handling the nested quote well.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Double-posting because I found another one:
Throughout the tournament, many players observed that it wasn't an even playing field for teams as far as amenities were concerned. "I think some other teams had different setups, and I'd be a little disappointed in [team redacted] if that's the case because that should have been thought of," one Eastern Conference veteran said. "If there was a place for us to always have meals available, a majority of the guys would have taken advantage of it, just to be around each other. It's not going to kill you."

Players took notice of this culinary imbalance between teams.

"Some teams have owners that are in the restaurant or hotel business. ... This was just a chance to make a couple bucks back," an Eastern Conference player said. "But when you're feeding 30 to 50 6-foot-plus monsters and you've got 50 hotel rooms, it wasn't a cheap restart, right? But it was also a situation where you're like, 'I can't believe Philly got this. We should have that.'"

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I doubt Vinik cheaped out but teams like Florida probably didn't get much :laugh:
I've always assumed Vinik views the Lightning as more of a fantasy team than a business venture. Obviously he uses it as an anchor for some of his other investments, but the team itself p/l seems irrelevant.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I've always assumed Vinik views the Lightning as more of a fantasy team than a business venture. Obviously he uses it as an anchor for some of his other investments, but the team itself p/l seems irrelevant.
That is very wishful. Its still very much a business, he is still trying extremely hard to turn a profit. He just has a lot more irons in the fire that can cover his losses for a longer period of time.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
That is very wishful. Its still very much a business, he is still trying extremely hard to turn a profit. He just has a lot more irons in the fire that can cover his losses for a longer period of time.

do you see him as one of the owners that would cut payroll next season due to maybe not having full arenas or no fans in the arenas at all maybe ?

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
The game on Friday is of MASSIVE importance given the back-to-back schedule. We do not want to let Dallas back into the series and have momentum with the quick turnaround on Saturday. The boys need to be locked in and pounce on the opportunity to virtually close the door in Game 4.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
We always knew that when we are at our best no team in the league can beat us. Last night showed that. Now imagine what this team would be like with a healthy Stamkos. Crazy. That sniper is what this team has not only needed on the PP but also when our offense goes dry. You can tell that all the players relaxed a bit with him in the lineup. Everyone saw their goal scoring leader back so they all just relaxed and played their game with confidence. Dominant.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
The game on Friday is of MASSIVE importance given the back-to-back schedule. We do not want to let Dallas back into the series and have momentum with the quick turnaround on Saturday. The boys need to be locked in and pounce on the opportunity to virtually close the door in Game 4.
The SCF B2B is still the biggest bullshit ever.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Last 2 games:

Point: 2 goals, 1 assist - 3pts
Palat: 2 goals, 1 assist - 3pts
Kucherov: 1 goal, 3 assists - 4pts
Hedman: 1 goal, 4 assists - 5pts

We'll keep winning if our big guns keep taking care of business
Big guns have shown up big time so far. And God knows we can’t count on Killer or Johnson to score one from time to time.

Reactions: The Macho Man

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Big guns have shown up big time so far. And God knows we can’t count on Killer or Johnson to score one from time to time.

Alex Killorn hasn't scored in the last 11 games.

Tyler Johnson has scored one goal in the last 14 games.

Anthony Cirelli has scored two goals in the last 14 games.

That's our second line. Five goals total since the second round began.

Reactions: nihlify and Hoek

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Alex Killorn hasn't scored in the last 11 games.

Tyler Johnson has scored one goal in the last 14 games.

Anthony Cirelli has scored two goals in the last 14 games.

That's our second line. Five goals total since the second round began.
Cirelli does have an assist in game 2 (Shattenkirk's goal) and game 3 (Hedman's goal). He's almost doubled his playoff numbers with 3pts in his last 4 games.

Anything Cirelli can do to chip in offensively for this series is big.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Last 2 games:

Point: 2 goals, 1 assist - 3pts
Palat: 2 goals, 1 assist - 3pts
Kucherov: 1 goal, 3 assists - 4pts
Hedman: 1 goal, 4 assists - 5pts

We'll keep winning if our big guns keep taking care of business
Palat deserves more credit than he gets. He creates room for the other two.

And Hedman is just on a whole different planet.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad