Pre-Game Talk: Bolts in the Bubble | Phase 4 - The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs in Toronto & Edmonton

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If he comes back, it will only be to get in an elimination game. It just has that feeling of "They don't want to give us the whole truth. Because it's bad."

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I still can’t believe the nhl decided to cram the SCF into such a short period. Back to back games in 4 & 5. I get wanting two Saturday night games. Just needed to add TWO more off days to make that happen and increase the probability of a superior product.

Silly and short sighted.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I still can’t believe the nhl decided to cram the SCF into such a short period. Back to back games in 4 & 5. I get wanting two Saturday night games. Just needed to add TWO more off days to make that happen and increase the probability of a superior product.

Silly and short sighted.
I guess it costs a lot of money to keep the bubble up. Can’t see any other reason really.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Are they saying the Gravy Train is pulling out of the station?

We all know the Gravy Train never stops.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
How do we think the 20-21 regular season should work if they can't have fans? They have to play. This has to happen for the welfare of the league and sport overall.

I kind of like the idea of a reverse lockout. Start with a 41-game schedule, but as the situation permits, expand it to 50, 60, 70, and eventually 82 games.

The US-Canadian border complicates things (they could do a Canadian division), but 31 teams flying to empty rinks multiple times a week doesn't make sense. They'd need to do bubbles again. The WJC is also going to be in a bubble in Edmonton this holiday, so that's something to figure out.

Temporary new divisions based primarily on time zone (to maximize tv viewership, so no Lightning 10:30 PM starts)
Pacific - Vegas hub
San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Vegas, Arizona, Colorado
AZ & CO 8 pm starts

Central - Minnesota hub
Minnesota, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Nashville, Detroit
Detroit 8 pm starts

Northeast - Buffalo hub?
Buffalo, Boston, TB, Florida, Washington, Carolina

Metro - Columbus hub?
Columbus, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYR, NYI, NJD

Canada - Edmonton/Toronto hub
Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal

I had to send the mountain time zone teams to the Pacific, but I feel if they compromise with slightly later starts (7:30 or 8), then that can work pretty well for both markets. Obviously if they're playing a matinée game, it doesn't matter as much.

There's also a bunch of teams in the east, so I tried to keep the spirit of the existing division together as much as possible. I figured Buffalo would be a spot since they are sort of the default place for things like the draft combine. Having Harborcenter's hotel and practice rink directly connected to HSBC Arena seems perfect in a pandemic. Although if TB gets it, maybe the refs will be more favorable.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bettman said he expects an 82 game season
I'm aware, but guys hate the bubble.

If we're going to get the vaccine on the schedule it looks like (and pro athletes will of course be among the first to receive it), then they can disassemble the bubbles and play the remaining schedule.

What THG didn't mention is that ESPN overpaid for league rights, and they know it. Disney/ESPN doesn't have the money it once did.

ESPN is Losing Subscribers Faster Than Ever as Cord Cutting Grows | Cord Cutters News

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
No clue how next season is going to happen. Bubbles for a full season just aren't feasible economically or psychologically. Perhaps a mix of a mostly regional/divisional schedule and playing in empty or mostly empty arenas.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
No clue how next season is going to happen. Bubbles for a full season just aren't feasible economically or psychologically. Perhaps a mix of a mostly regional/divisional schedule and playing in empty or mostly empty arenas.
Bubbles are way more economically feasible than the alternative (if there're no fans), and having US teams in the US and Canadian in Canada would allow for family visits.

I didn't do all the math, but if every team can play 3 times a week on a 41-game schedule, that'd be a 14-week regular season. Then another 24-team tournament. Most teams go home in the first two weeks, anyway.

Question though, if it's TV only, does starting at 6 or 6:30 really matter? 7 or 7:30 is for the convenience of people travelling to the game. There aren't those concerns if they just need to get to their couch.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Isn't part of the reason they're rushing this final with a back to back because it's costing them a million bucks a day or whatever? That's definitely more expensive than just playing like it's a normal game.

I don't see the players going for a bubble that can last for 4 months, either. Not without some breaks at least.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Honestly despite some early outbreaks it seems like the NFL/MLB/MLS approach of just traveling around like normal and testing seems to be working OK enough for them. Of course it could be massively derailed by an outbreak during the playoffs or something still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad