TSN: Bolland to FLA

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I didn't mind him but I'm glad he's not here at that cost.

Tyler Biggs*

Well this has gotta be one of the most over paid signings of the year.

Tyler Biggs*

Bolland wasn't a keeper. No loyalty. Only showed me something personally 2 games of the 20 something he played. Enjoy the sun and the obscurity of being over-paid. Well done. Unlike Gorges, you have no honour. Good riddance.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Bolland wasn't a keeper. No loyalty. Only showed me something personally 2 games of the 20 something he played. Enjoy the sun and the obscurity of being over-paid. Well done. Unlike Gorges, you have no honour. Good riddance.

He only cost us three draft picks and Komarov last year when he wanted to stay but the Leafs couldn't keep him they needed money for Bolland. Leo would have probably taken 1.5 for five years. Nonis at his best.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Hope_Smoke Dreger "the Leafs best offer for Bolland was $4.75. He made a business decision and that's his right"

woah an extra half mil per - take a hike !

Tyler Biggs*

Hope_Smoke Dreger "the Leafs best offer for Bolland was $4.75. He made a business decision and that's his right"

woah an extra half mil per - take a hike !

:nod:

He does not get his cake and eat it too. He took money over hometown team, and on the way out he does not get to talk cheap bout how much he hoped it would work out here so he is some sort of hometown favorite. Goodbye.

Disgruntled Observer*

I think our team would be much better with Bolland as our #3 center at that price/term than with Clarkson as a (most likely) 4th liner at an OLDER age and WORSE price/term.

What a DRASTIC mistake that Clarkson contract is.
It really is going to CRIPPLE us for a long long time.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I hate making assumptions, but every time I saw a Bolland interview/scrum with the media, I just got the feeling he didn't really want to be here. Regardless, the guy has been declining since his final season with Chicago and suffered a severe injury this past season. Locking him up to a long-term deal would have been disastrous to say the least.

I got that feeling as well. I don't think he wanted to be here, and I don't think he was happy at being here, and he would have stayed if we given him money. I had to look it up - basically the Leafs offered him a million dollars more in contract for 5 years to a guy - who has never been healthy and come off a debilitating injury - in faith, practically because he's still rehabbing, and he's still "on the mend." according to his agent. Basically - there is no proof yet that Bolland can turn left.

and he ran off to make about .75 more - and saying "oh yah I'd love to retire as a Leaf if they'd paid me more. Business. Kisses."

People can go "business decisions" and all that other kind of crap, but I say it again. for the sheer amount of crap that Dion gets - he's only getting paid .5 million more to stay here and he loves it here. (and he is hated) Whatever leadership/captainy issues Dion has, I'd rather someone on the Leafs who wants to be here, instead of someone who has to be paid to want to be here. I don't want that kind of attitude in the dressing room.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think our team would be much better with Bolland as our #3 center at that price/term than with Clarkson as a (most likely) 4th liner at an OLDER age and WORSE price/term.

please. If the Leafs wanted to - they could have easily offered 5.5 to Bolland. And if they had - you would have been irritated as heck that we gave an often injured Bolland that much money for that many years.

every contract decision doesn't have to come back to Clarkson. for crying out loud.

Savvy

Sep 30, 2006
Mississauga

It certainly is a interesting contract when you look back. It was almost universally accepted as a bad deal by not only these boards but credible hockey people. Somehow in all of that teams offered him better deals, these credible people tried to justify it saying he may be overpaid but you'll get over it with his "intangibles" and just in general there seemed to be a feeling that despite the fact everyone knew it was bad there seemed to be a need to justify it because he's so well liked in certain circles as a person. Of course though he comes in and plays worse then even the biggest haters of the contract expected (including myself) and now looking at it just makes people cringe. I just can't quite get over how anyone tried to justify it.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
They're saying, 'Boooooooooo-lland!'

haha.

Even on the panthers board the fans hates his contract.

Guaranteed though if he didn't sign Clarkson to that ridiculous contract he probably would gave more money to Bolland cause Bolland>Clarkson.

I don't even think Clarkson will be better this season either. He had like 2 good seasons in New Jersey and the rest were mediocre.

Disgruntled Observer*

It certainly is a interesting contract when you look back. It was almost universally accepted as a bad deal by not only these boards but credible hockey people. Somehow in all of that teams offered him better deals, these credible people tried to justify it saying he may be overpaid but you'll get over it with his "intangibles" and just in general there seemed to be a feeling that despite the fact everyone knew it was bad there seemed to be a need to justify it because he's so well liked in certain circles as a person. Of course though he comes in and plays worse then even the biggest haters of the contract expected (including myself) and now looking at it just makes people cringe. I just can't quite get over how anyone tried to justify it.

I agree with most of what you wrote, I'm astounded at that contract as well, but I just need to point out one correction.

There is absolutely no "evidence" that other teams offered him more money.
It's all just hear/say and gossip.

Disgruntled Observer*

please. If the Leafs wanted to - they could have easily offered 5.5 to Bolland. And if they had - you would have been irritated as heck that we gave an often injured Bolland that much money for that many years.

every contract decision doesn't have to come back to Clarkson. for crying out loud.

I absolutely would have been upset if we signed Bolland at that price/term.
It's a "bad" contract.
But Clarksons contract is apocalyptic!!!! Possibly the worst in the history of the sport.

I'm sorry, but when I come into a thread and see a bunch of fans laughing about another team signing a stupid contract, I feel the need to point out the Clarkson contract.
I will probably continue to do it all 7 years.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
It's a "bad" contract.
But Clarksons contract is apocalyptic!!!! Possibly the worst in the history of the sport.

I'm sorry, but when I come into a thread and see a bunch of fans laughing about another team signing a stupid contract, I feel the need to point out the Clarkson contract.

:laugh:

Clarkson for now 6 years at 5.25
played over 70 games in 4 of his 8 NHL seasons. (1 being the lockout, 1 i'm assuming his rookie year and 1 was this year he played only 46). and has 181 points

is quote "apocalyptic" compared to Bolland's 'bad" 5 years 5.5
and he's never played a full season, currently has no idea how strong or durable his ankle is and has 191 career points.

alrighty there :laugh:

every team has horrible contracts. you don't need to point out ours, we're aware of it. it doesn't change the fact that every team has that 'one' contract they really wish they didn't have.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's a "bad" contract.

LMAO.

One of the most hilarious things I've read on here. It's not even close to the "worst in the history of the sport". DiPietro, Yashin, Redden, Gomez, Luongo, Wideman, Cammalleri, Havlat, Brad Richards, Heatley, Myers, Leino and Brian Campbell have ALL had worse ones.

No need to be a Drama Queen.

:)

Disgruntled Observer*

LMAO.

One of the most hilarious things I've read on here. It's not even close to the "worst in the history of the sport". DiPietro, Yashin, Redden, Gomez, Luongo, Wideman, Cammalleri, Havlat, Brad Richards, Heatley, Myers, Leino and Brian Campbell have ALL had worse ones.

No need to be a Drama Queen.

:)

You're the drama queen for pointing out what YOU think are the worst contracts.
Drama Queen.
At least all those other players can play ice hockey at some capacity.
Clarkson can't.
So, as such, it's the worst contract in the history of the sport.

Kyle Doobas*

It baffles me how Disgruntled Observer is allowed to be the most blatant troll ever, yet if you call him a troll, you get a warning from the mods. :laugh:

He's like the Patrick Kaleta of the Leafs board. He chips away and chips away and when you finally just snap and crack him one upside the head, you get thrown out of the game.

Oct 19, 2007
It baffles me how Disgruntled Observer is allowed to be the most blatant troll ever, yet if you call him a troll, you get a warning from the mods. :laugh:

He's like the Patrick Kaleta of the Leafs board. He chips away and chips away and when you finally just snap and crack him one upside the head, you get thrown out of the game.

Ha ha ha I would love to say that you are 100% correct but I know I would get one of these warnings so I will not say it.. Instead I will say that you were wrong in calling him a troll :sarcasm::naughty:

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto

I had the same problem with two other posters. Ignore option is your friend Sir. Makes reading these boards a whole lot easier. They're not worth getting an infraction over.

Back to the topic, so glad that Florida signed him. That is a crazy contract. Not worth it.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto

He has been on these boards for almost 10 years, and has had plenty of time to perfect his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad