TSN: Bolland to FLA

Strategy

Sep 8, 2013
Clarkson contract or Bolland contract? Which is worse..

Now that we know what Bolland is getting, Clarkson's contract doesn't seem that bad:

Clarkson: 5.25m per year, 7 years
Bolland: 5.5m per year, 5 years

Maybe the Nonis haters are wrong? :sarcasm:

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Surprised he didn't want to go to a cup contending team to chase another one.... glad we didn't sign him to that crazy contract. He will probably get hurt again during one of those years there.

Also to those that say Florida is ****... they will probably be playoff material long before the Leafs.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Uh, no. They are pretty much equally bad. Clarkson gets paid less with 1 more year. Not sure how that's far worse.

Both considered characters players with one or two good seasons under their belts.

Extra year and buyout proof. That makes it far worse.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Bolland's game in his final season with the Hawks took a big hit. This isn't the same player that used to be an elite 3C. Either way, both contracts are equally awful. Damn the going rates for these bottom 6 guys are hilarious though.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
how is Clarkson's buyout proof?

at any rate - they are both bad. However - I doubt very much Clarkson has a horrible year as he did last year, period, vs. Bolland who hasn't played a full season in forever (if at all), as of lately still recovering from a lacerated ankle that one Mike Modano & Erik Karlsson suffered and both said it still took them a year+ to feel 100 percent and, the man still can't turn left.

I'll take Clarkson's. overpaid or not - he chose us. at the end of the day he wanted to be a Leaf, and Bolland did not

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I would trade Clarkson for Bolland.

Good hockey trade you know?

My god these contracts!

After today I suddenly had the epiphany that we may have a trading partner for Clarkson in the future! Washington? Florida?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
how is Clarkson's buyout proof?

The way the deal is structured has it so that an overwhelming portion of the contract is in bonuses and guaranteed money. You can buy him out, but you'll barely save any money against the cap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm glad Bolland is gone. It was a bad experiment but we didn't need to double down on the error and be locked in for half a decade. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolland isn't even in hockey anymore by the time his contract is up. I think he's that banged up and doesn't have a lot of hockey left.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm glad Bolland is gone. It was a bad experiment but we didn't need to double down on the error and be locked in for half a decade. I wouldn't be surprised if Bolland isn't even in hockey anymore by the time his contract is up. I think he's that banged up and doesn't have a lot of hockey left.

the very fact that in every interview his agent is all "he's not 100 percent yet, but he'll be fine by training camp" should have been a sign for everyone. as i said. considering Karlsson said it took him a year to feel 'normal' and he says he still has issues that he hopes clear up this season - and Modano took a bit longer - Bolland should have been off the table. for all we know - he still can't turn left

as much as Shanahan and Nonis wanted him back i'm glad one of them had the common sense God gave a flea and realised that it was better to walk away (i would have been pissed at 4.9 for 5 too).

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
the very fact that in every interview his agent is all "he's not 100 percent yet, but he'll be fine by training camp" should have been a sign for everyone. as i said. considering Karlsson said it took him a year to feel 'normal' and he says he still has issues that he hopes clear up this season - and Modano took a bit longer - Bolland should have been off the table. for all we know - he still can't turn left

as much as Shanahan and Nonis wanted him back i'm glad one of them had the common sense God gave a flea and realised that it was better to walk away (i would have been pissed at 4.9 for 5 too).

I hate making assumptions, but every time I saw a Bolland interview/scrum with the media, I just got the feeling he didn't really want to be here. Regardless, the guy has been declining since his final season with Chicago and suffered a severe injury this past season. Locking him up to a long-term deal would have been disastrous to say the least.

DoubleDouble*

I wish him luck in Florida but man...Thank God that wasn't us. Imagine a 3rd line of Komarov-Bolland-Clarkson...14 million dollar 3rd line.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
All I can say is thank god there was a GM dumber than Nonis willing to throw stupid money at Bolland. Just way too many red flags just coming back from this injury not even considering long term. Plus just not skilled enough to be worth that kind of money. Just silly.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
And to think the only reason he doesn't play for us is because another GM was more stupid than Nobis. How often does that happen these days?

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Excellent non signing by Nonis n'co.

This was the wrong player to lock up long term. No.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
That's a silly price 5x5.5 for a guy who struggles to stay healthy and is for the most part a real good 3rd line centre... just glad it wasn't us who paid that price and term for him.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
Now that we know what Bolland is getting, Clarkson's contract doesn't seem that bad:

Clarkson: 5.25m per year, 7 years
Bolland: 5.5m per year, 5 years

Maybe the Nonis haters are wrong? :sarcasm:

The Clarkson contract will forever be that bad.

Still the worst. Ever.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Bolland was full of it about staying here. He could have, for not much less
But glad he decided to go to such a hockey mecca

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Bolland was full of it about staying here. He could have, for not much less
But glad he decided to go to such a hockey mecca

Who can blame him? His body is breaking down, not talking about that freak injury. But he is a small player playing like a big player so no surprise he wants to cash since this was his last chance. And living 5 years in Florida being a veteran leader among a group of youngsters who is ranked among the best in the league does not sound that bad really. No risk, high reward.

So if we offered him 5x5 and Florida with their taxes offered him 5.5x5 I stand to earn a lot more by going there. Can not really hold it against him.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Who can blame him? His body is breaking down, not talking about that freak injury. But he is a small player playing like a big player so no surprise he wants to cash since this was his last chance. And living 5 years in Florida being a veteran leader among a group of youngsters who is ranked among the best in the league does not sound that bad really. No risk, high reward.

So if we offered him 5x5 and Florida with their taxes offered him 5.5x5 I stand to earn a lot more by going there. Can not really hold it against him.

I agree. We can't really blame players for "chasing the money". I mean, it's not as though we're the Stanley Cup favourite team out there to begin with. He could have stayed here, made less money, and had to struggle to win something.......or he could forget about ever winning again(at least he already has in Chicago....) and go for maximum money, and live in a nice, warm climate, and in a place where there are no state income taxes either.

If we want players to want to be HERE, then we better be the place to be. Gotta start winning. A lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad