Rumor: Bolland Seeking Seven or Eight Year Term

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Like Bolland a lot, but can't stomach him at 5M/6-8yrs. We've been doing fine without him - yeah, he would be useful in the playoffs, but one heavy Clarkson contract is enough.

Move Bolland, and re-sign McClement and get Komarov back next year.

5+ for Bolland is the type of overpayment you can live with. But yeah, with Clarkson already making 5, you can't spend $10+ million on two of your 6th-8th forwards.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Kessel took a discount. no one could offer him the 8th year so even if he gave up a few hundred grad a year he made it up on the extra yr

Phaneuf took a discount. i don't see him getting anymore anywhere else

Lupul took a discount. Lupul was an injury prone salary dump when we got him and he missed most of his ufa season so i don't why any team would offer him the term he got he here

McClement took a discount. What do you think 4th line C's actually sign for ?

Liles took a discount. We signed him when he was out with a concussion and he played like crap when he came back , no one was going to give him the deal he signed for , not to mention he was on the block for a long time before we traded for him with no takers

Ranger and Raymond both chose here and signed for cheap. Raymond got squeezed out with the cap dropping and wasn't even offered a contract , he knew Nonis so he came here . Ranger was in a very unique situation and shouldn't be used as an example .

Kadri, Franson, and Gunnarsson, while RFAs, took less than market value. They really had no other choice .

Just because we don't get multi-million dollar discounts, doesn't mean we don't get discounts.[/B]

Also potentially giving up a tiny fraction really doesn't set an example for your teammate to take a major hit in potential salary .

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Trade him at the deadline. His demands are ludicrous, and we gave up noteworthy assets to acquire him. Nonis has to face facts and cut his losses.

I say this as a big fan of Bolland, but ultimately, he is still a 3rd line centre on a quality NHL roster.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Just stop, you'll be in China soon if you don't stop digging.

WTF are you talking about ?

Someone pulls out a part of a post i may have made years ago and that's supposed to prove something ?

I didn't like the Kessel trade then i still don't like it .

I also wouldn't have traded up to get Schenn but wanted them to select Filitov when they did .

On the flip side i didn't like the Clarkson/Komi/TC's signings or trading up to get Biggs .

I post my opinions and sometimes i'm right and sometimes i'm wrong but at least I know I can form my own views of the team and the GM's moves without feeling the need to approve every move the team makes like a blind sheep and then spin when said move turns out poorly .

Last edited:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
With Bolland I would have to play hard ball. I mean If he wants security with term then we need him at a reasonable number.

(4m or 4.3m) If it is 4 years or so and he gets 4.6 or 4.8 then it is much easier to swallow. We can't go full Clarkson on this situation.

we are not just negotiating with Bolland though. That's the difference between a UFA and an RFA. If five teams are interested in him, his price tag and term will go up.

I nor you have any clue what other GMs think he's worth. Detroit is considered the genius organizing. They thought Weiss was worth just under $25 million on a lower cap. He has four points. Is it unreasonable to think just one team thinks he's worth more than Weiss was last summer?

so you can try to play hard ball all you want, but you likely end up losing the player.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The injury killed his value for us.

There is no way to justify paying those demands given his injury. I like Bolland but that kind of money/term could be used on a Statsny. We have to read between the lines,if he demands that kind of money he likely doesn't want to stay. I think he will walk,he always was a rental and we didn't pay trade deadline prices. The injury cost us. No wonder our prospect pool outside defenders looks so shallow. We are now seeing what years of throwing picks around can do. Chicago can afford to let him walk, whereas we get blackmailed everytime.

Grabo,Clarkson and now Bolland? If I am a GM, I want to see him return to form before I even think about $4M plus for 3rd line C.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
That's a really disappointing number to ask for, not even close to fair market value IMO. His health and longevity is another thing...

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
He's a 2-3 centre coming to UFA status with an inflated cap. Those types of guys don't come cheap.

You can point to a handful of orgs, but most struggle to bring in guys like Bolland through their system. And several would be willing to cough up major dollars to get him.

As for a guy like Statsny, who says he even makes it to July? Good chance he just stays in Colorado.

Delicious Dangles*

no one could offer him the 8th year so even if he gave up a few hundred grad a year he made it up on the extra yr
So the discount doesn't count because he signed for the 8 years Toronto wanted to bring down the price? Lmao. Crazy logic.

I wonder how much Kessel could have made in that 8th year with a 100m+ cap.

i don't see him getting anymore anywhere else
That is nice. He would have, easily. Welcome to reality.

Lupul was an injury prone salary dump when we got him and he missed most of his ufa season so i don't why any team would offer him the term he got he here
Conveniently ignoring that he was a PPG player since joining the Leafs, and could have easily gotten more on the open market.

What do you think 4th line C's actually sign for ?
Except he wasn't just a 4th line C when we signed him. He was one of the best 4th-line centers, and one of the best PKers in the league, who showed potential to be a 3rd line center.

Colorado offered him the same, if not bigger contract, and no doubt others would have too.

We signed him when he was out with a concussion and he played like crap when he came back , no one was going to give him the deal he signed for , not to mention he was on the block for a long time before we traded for him with no takers
It doesn't matter what happened when he came back or the years after. When he was signed, it was at a significant discount. He was one of our best defensemen that year, WAS our PP, and PMD cost a premium. He would have easily gotten up to a million more on the open market, and he even admitted that he was taking a discount to play in Toronto.

Raymond got squeezed out with the cap dropping and wasn't even offered a contract , he knew Nonis so he came here . Ranger was in a very unique situation and shouldn't be used as an example .
You're delusional if you think other teams wouldn't have signed Raymond for $1 million+, especially after his pre-season.

Why exactly does Ranger's situation make him signing for super cheap with us a bad example? Because it disproves whatever theory you are trying to push?

They really had no other choice .
NO choice? Well then, I guess we should have signed them for $1, eh?

Why doesn't everybody sign their RFAs for $1?

Also potentially giving up a tiny fraction really doesn't set an example for your teammate to take a major hit in potential salary .
Where exactly is this list of other teams with UFA players recently giving up multi-millions per year in their prime to set an example?

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Cripple

He is what he is, that's why he's an ex Black Hawk, they couldn't justify his salary, they saw him as often injured and couldn't move up the depth chart more than a fourth liner on their team. Pretty much untradeable now, teams aren't looking for injured 4th liners for the playoff run.

Baba Ganoush

Dec 8, 2009
He is what he is, that's why he's an ex Black Hawk, they couldn't justify his salary, they saw him as often injured and couldn't move up the depth chart more than a fourth liner on their team. Pretty much untradeable now, teams aren't looking for injured 4th liners for the playoff run.

he's an ex-black hawk for the same reason Ladd and Byfuglien are ex-black hawks, which is salary.

Bolland was never a fourth liner on the Black Hawks, and has never been a fourth liner in general.

stop making things up. reality is your friend.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
he's an ex-black hawk for the same reason Ladd and Byfuglien are ex-black hawks, which is salary.

Bolland was never a fourth liner on the Black Hawks, and has never been a fourth liner in general.

stop making things up. reality is your friend.

He played on the 4th line all through the playoffs, averaging about 10 minutes a game, when the puck bounced off the boards on right on to his stick he was able to put it in an empty net. After Boychuck left him uncovered.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
More like you and I don't really have any idea what shape he is in

Of course we do. You don't play at the level he does by being out of shape.

Saying he's out of shape is just another way of trying to put him down. The last resort as he's proven the realists wrong at every turn.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Remember when Bozak was asking for 8 years 5M per? I'm sure Bolland's agent is just trying to start high like all agents do...

Don't see why people ignore these kind of posts and continue to call him greedy or insane. Posted this last night and not a single person responded to it. IT'S HIS AGENT'S JOB PEOPLE.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Don't see why people ignore these kind of posts and continue to call him greedy or insane. Posted this last night and not a single person responded to it. IT'S HIS AGENT'S JOB PEOPLE.

However, it's nice to have a guy who wants to play here at all costs and says he wants to work on a deal that will help both parties.

Bozak's was annoying too. He held out and saw that the grass wasn't greener. I know it's the agents job, but we don't have a league full of Al Eagleson's.....Bolland has a say, and if he okay with his agent trying to drag the leafs over the coals, than I don't know.... Just wish we had more guys that want to play here, want to sacrifice everything to build a winning team (not saying Bolland or others aren't, but we rarely see those sick, hometown discounts that some teams are accustomed to)

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
However, it's nice to have a guy who wants to play here at all costs and says he wants to work on a deal that will help both parties.

Bozak's was annoying too. He held out and saw that the grass wasn't greener. I know it's the agents job, but we don't have a league full of Al Eagleson's.....Bolland has a say, and if he okay with his agent trying to drag the leafs over the coals, than I don't know.... Just wish we had more guys that want to play here, want to sacrifice everything to build a winning team (not saying Bolland or others aren't, but we rarely see those sick, hometown discounts that some teams are accustomed to)

Not to be argumentative, but can you cite some examples of "hometown discounts"? I'm happy to stand corrected, but I'm just not sure that it's really that common.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Remember when Bozak was asking for 8 years 5M per? I'm sure Bolland's agent is just trying to start high like all agents do...

Bozak's agent shopped him around and then he lowered his demands and resigned .

I don't know what Boalland will be offered if he does go the ufa route but chances are it'll be more than what we'd like to pay a 3rd line C on our team .

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Not to be argumentative, but can you cite some examples of "hometown discounts"? I'm happy to stand corrected, but I'm just not sure that it's really that common.

Not going crazy to look, but I'm sure if you venture to capgeek and look at the Chicagos, LAs and Bostons...you will find some pretty good 'team contracts'

Bergeron, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Brown, Richards (im guessing it was with PHIL) , Carter (same)

When comparing to other players in the league, these guys could have asked for a lot more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad