Rumor: Bolland Seeking Seven or Eight Year Term

Kyle Doobas*

Not going crazy to look, but I'm sure if you venture to capgeek and look at the Chicagos, LAs and Bostons...you will find some pretty good 'team contracts'

Bergeron, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Brown, Richards (im guessing it was with PHIL) , Carter (same)

When comparing to other players in the league, these guys could have asked for a lot more.
Most of those guys were signed as RFAs; several on cap-circumventing contracts that no longer exist under the new CBA.

Mar 26, 2010
The next Clarkson contract coming?

I like Bolland but you have to be realistic.

Honestly I would buy Clarkson out this summer.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Wouldn't be opposed to a 7yr @ 3.5 or 3.75m. Toss in a 12 team NTC for good measure.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I say we end up signing him to a 6 year deal that will see his cap hit at 4M a year, with a limited NTC. Make his contract moveable at the back end if we structure it with the last two years at 3M per.

So 4M, 4.5M, 5M, 4.5M, 3M, 3M

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Kessel took a discount.
Phaneuf took a discount.
Lupul took a discount.
McClement took a discount.
Liles took a discount.

Ranger and Raymond both chose here and signed for cheap.

Kadri, Franson, and Gunnarsson, while RFAs, took less than market value.

Just because we don't get multi-million dollar discounts, doesn't mean we don't get discounts.

Kessel in no way took a discount.....
Dion took us for all that he could get....7M per is an over payment for him.
Lupul is overpaid as well.
Liles was a mistake and he was quick to sign that deal.
McClement was signed as a UFA....he got what he deserved at the time.

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
He, is am nice player when healthy, but he rarely is and his demands can't fit within the Leafs cap limitations so IMO it's any easy no. The Leafs need to improve their defence more than need to resign Bolland. Good luck to him & God bless. It's a market driven labour base, if he can get what he wants, then good for him, but it doesn't mean the Leafs have to pay what he wants either.

Last edited:

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

under no circumstances am i agreeable to giving bolland that kind of term. he was fine for the games he played...we're already stuck w/ clarkson's awful contract. as great as bolland was in the games he played...that's an unnecessary extention...and one we'll get pissed off about quickly

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Bolland for St. Louis. Trade St. Louis in the offseason.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Lupul Kadri St. Louis
Raymond Kulemin Clarkson

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I read somewhere holland needs to clear waivers to go down next year. is that true? If so, and he'll probably be on the third line, whether a winger or center depends on bolland re-signing

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Not going crazy to look, but I'm sure if you venture to capgeek and look at the Chicagos, LAs and Bostons...you will find some pretty good 'team contracts'

Bergeron, Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Keith, Brown, Richards (im guessing it was with PHIL) , Carter (same)

When comparing to other players in the league, these guys could have asked for a lot more.

Toews and Kane are both on their first RFA contracts. Both players will be in the 8M/yr range on their next contracts.

Hossa, Richards, and Carter are on back-diving, cap-circumventing contracts that are no longer allowed in the current CBA.

Bergeron and Brown are both in the last year of their first RFA contracts. Both players are getting dramatic raises next season.

I wouldn't consider any of these players to be on "home town discount" contracts. As I said, I don't think that that concept is really all that common.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Remember when Bozak was asking for 8 years 5M per? I'm sure Bolland's agent is just trying to start high like all agents do...

Pierre Lebrun reported that 5 teams were interested in Bozak, Detroit, Dallas, St Louis, Anaheim, and Calgary. But he always wanted to stay in Toronto.

He never really fielded offers to go elsewhere, and luckily he never did, we would be in a world of hurt, without our best Center by a wide margin this year.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bolland: I want ~5M for 7 or 8 years.

Nonis:

yo_dawg.jpg

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We can always sign him for big term and money and Chicago will take him back if he becomes non important to us if we eat half his salary forever ala Versteeg..

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Best thing that could happen to this franchise is a second NHL team in the GTA that is able to start eating at their profits. Even 20% would have them being more cautious with their spending practices. It would be the best if they retooled management first, then the system and pick one which we can implement on both team and farm then draft and trade accordingly.

This organization operates about as random as alphabet soup and won't fix itself until it becomes a machine. By all rights the Leafs organization and affiliates should be the #1 premier contender, prospect and talent generator for the entire league.

We instead waste our fruit spending it on luxury or nothing in particular and as a result do not put a good product in ice.

Delicious Dangles*

I bolded my responses .
Funny how you keep ignoring to mention what you think the actual discount he gave up was . What do you think he left on the table ? A few hundred grand , one mil , 2 or 3 three mil . Please enlighten us with what you think the discount was .

No one knows what type of player he will be in the 8th year but he's locked into 8 mil at this time and doesn't need to gamble he'll still be worth that in his mid 30
There is no basis for thinking he is going to diminish that fast in his early 30s. But even if he did, the extra money he got in the first 7 years, plus the extra real value of money in the present over the future, would more than make up the difference.

He probably would have got at least an extra million/year on the open market.

That's just your opinion and mine is he pretty much got what he would have got as a UFA . Now you could split hairs and say he may a gotten a few hundred grand more but what purpose do you think it would serve as an example to our future UFA's ?
That's my opinion based on comparables.
That's your opinion based on nothing.

I don't get your last sentence. Either it gives an example or it doesn't. What the hell are you expecting?

He played 16 out of 48 games last year and 66 out or 82 the previous season . If you don't that would make a GM weary of handing him a long term deal then i don;t know what would .
May have made teams weary of 7 year contracts (though as we have seen, there's usually SOMEBODY out there to do it!), but no doubt teams would have matched 5 and teams would have far surpassed 5.25. Look at what Callahan is asking for, FFS.

He was a 4th line C when we got him and guys like you invented the upside just like posters like you have done countless times with our other players /prospects
Burke said he would be tested at 3C (and likely would have had Kadri not burst onto the scene). McClement stated he left Colorado because of no opportunity to play 3C.

this is just you speculating and how much more do you think he was offered by another team ?
This was confirmed, and a well known fact. Colorado wanted to keep him. McClement wanted to come to Toronto, and to get more opportunity than a 4th line center.

Of course it matters what happened when he came back . He was an ageing D that finished the season poorly and protected himself by the signing the extension while he was out with a concussion . Had he not signed the extension no one would have offered him a 4 year term especially since there was little interest in him when Col wanted to trade him .
How do you know there was little interest when Colorado tried to trade him?
How do you know this remained true after his great first part of the season?
Even after the season, people would have offered him more than he got.
But it doesn't matter, because we are talking about discounts WHEN SIGNED.

Ranger was out of the game for years and signed with us because it allowed him to play near home , not for any love of the team .
So now you're nitpicking WHY the discounts were given?

They didn't have much leverage and that's why we got them for the price we did .
Less leverage =/= No choice. Kadri had plenty of leverage. Would have had infinitely more once Bolland went down.

Maybe you should go back and reread the post i responded to ? It's also funny on one hand you're giving examples on players you think gave a discount and then turn around and say no one gives discounts .
Players give discounts. Players don't give the discounts you're expecting, least of all during their big prime UFA contract.

So let's see the list.

Delicious Dangles*

Now consider that most of those contracts are illegal to sign in the NHL today, most of them were signed as RFAs, most of them were signed under a lower cap. Then look at the players they WERE when it was signed, not the players they became.

None of these guys are comparables.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
It does kind of work like that. Look what happened to Buffalo.

Please elaborate?

If a new benchmark was established ever time a player underperforms relative to his salary, contracts would be WAY more out of whack than they currently are. A few years ago the Canadiens would have 4-5 forwards saying they should make more than $7.2M because of Gomez's struggles.

No, what you need to do is look at context. Why was that player was signed to that contract at that time? Look at what he did to deserve the contract, not at what he has done afterwards.

It goes the other way as well, if P.A. Parenteau is signed to a $4M/year deal after a few years of putting up around 60 points then goes on to hit 80 points in the first year of his new deal, that doesn't establish a new salary ceiling for all 80-point players.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Please elaborate?

Buffalo had most of their players take discounts. Then with new ownership, began handing out contacts like Ehrhoff's and Leino's.

It caused well known discontent in the locker room. Other players were incredibly upset at the money they were denied but others received. The team fell apart because of how they allocated money.

Agents and players will absolutely point to those contacts - logically, fairly or not. It will absolutely affect team dynamics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad