Rumor: Bolland Seeking Seven or Eight Year Term

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Actually Holland has already accomplished more than the average 2nd round pick, so no, Holland has a significantly bigger chance of becoming something.

If we didn't have injuries Holland would have probably still be in the minors . I wouldn't call being an injury replacement accomplishing much . He may become a good player but we'll have to wait and see .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
"...teams just don't trade young quality players for no reason . The fact that (Kessel) was available should have sent up a red flag ."

"The Kessel trade isn't some slight miscalculation . It was a huge gamble that has back fired in the worst possible way ."

"I'd trade Kessel for (Chris) Stewart".

-- hotpaws

And where in these cherry picked quotes did i say he wouldn't turn into anything ?

Delicious Dangles*

This is the point in D-Boys post i replied to . I'm not saying any of these players should take a discount to stay here , i'm simply saying no one has at this time .
Kessel took a discount.
Phaneuf took a discount.
Lupul took a discount.
McClement took a discount.
Liles took a discount.

Ranger and Raymond both chose here and signed for cheap.

Kadri, Franson, and Gunnarsson, while RFAs, took less than market value.

Just because we don't get multi-million dollar discounts, doesn't mean we don't get discounts.

Delicious Dangles*

If we didn't have injuries Holland would have probably still be in the minors . I wouldn't call being an injury replacement accomplishing much . He may become a good player but we'll have to wait and see .
Being an injury replacement (and reaching the AHL PPG level) that can fit in seamlessly is more than the average 2nd rounder will ever give you. Not to mention the value of immediate impact.

So yes, he may become a better player still, but he already has a 2nd rounder beat.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Holland has accomplished nothing and is nothing but a dream or fantasy in the eyes of posters here. He has shown he can play hockey, great so can a lot of other guys at .5pph rate or less.

Kyle Doobas*

And where in these cherry picked quotes did i say he wouldn't turn into anything ?
Uh.... it's heavily implicated that you didn't foresee him turning into much if you thought that the trade backfired in the worst possible way.

Not to single you out or anything, since it seems like 90% of posters around here are incapable of speaking in anything other than absurd hyperboles. ZOMG KESSEL TRADE WILL SET THIS REBUILD BACK TEN YEARS, CLARKSON WORST CONTRACT IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL, NONIS IS GONNA SIGN BOLLAND FOR EIGHT YEARS AND WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Last edited by a moderator:

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
Uh.... it's heavily implicated that you didn't foresee him turning into much if you thought that the trade backfired in the worst possible way.

Not to single you out or anything, since it seems like 90% of posters around here are incapable of speaking in anything other than absurd hyperboles.

Well, in pawsy's defense he thought Mike Cammelleri was the better option.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"...teams just don't trade young quality players for no reason . The fact that (Kessel) was available should have sent up a red flag ."

"The Kessel trade isn't some slight miscalculation . It was a huge gamble that has back fired in the worst possible way ."

-- hotpaws

:laugh: Realists are never wrong, just misunderstood.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
5M over 7 or 8 years is kind of steep for Bolland. Either bring down the cap hit or the term.
I would be okay with 4M over 8 years even 4.5 over 6 or 7.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Realistically if we lose bolland to UFA without compensation we would be losing 2 2nd rounders, 2 4th rounders and a 5th (assuming we could of traded bolland for a 2nd and 5th at the deadline). On the other hand we would have used bolland for 25regular season games and a playoff run yet have the risk of him bailing us in the summertime. Kinda Bad asset management if he doesn't get resigned.

no its not.

You have a guy who can contribute to your team vs a few shots at players who likely end up never making your team.

There is value in being able to talk to a player and have a player in your Org prior to him becoming a UFA. Look how few guys make it to UFA status. Assuming they thought he was a solid piece, the payment was actually a bargain for what he brings to the table.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
5M over 7 or 8 years is kind of steep for Bolland. Either bring down the cap hit or the term.

Where does Bolland rank in terms of pending UFA Centers?

I can't see anyone giving him that kind of Term.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

The trade was made to accelerate the rebuild ( Burkes words ) . it wasn't made with the intent of tanking for the next 3 seasons .

The picks turned out to be a 22 year old ppg C and a 20 year old top 4 D who will probably become a top pairing D in the near future . Not to mention who we could have drafted with the 2nd and 3rd rd picks we gave .

If you think that's fair value then we'll agree to disagree .

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
As much as I want the Leafs to keep on going for it. Nothings worse then recycling UFAs with our picks.

I'd probably move Kulemin. This is only after I'd have a sit down with him/agent and he says he is likely to test the market or ask for 2nd line money.

Same for Bolland.

I would like to reiterate that if you want to win here, we all have to sacrifice. Clarkson was a bad move, but shouldn't set a president. Bozak is playing 1st line and is paid cheap to that standard. Bolland deserves 3mil and not a penny more. He is a great 3rd liner - that's it.

That being said, I am not a grumbling fan that wants us to sell sell sell. We need to find a middle ground, because I don't want to rinse and repeat these years over and over again....and be content with 'getting by'

nothing wrong with thinking we should put a cap on these guys, but you will just end up losing on all these guys in the open market.

It's like expecting to buy a 3000 Sq ft house in Toronto and saying I won't pay over 300k. OK good for you, but you won't get what you are looking for.

The cost of doing business with a David Clarkson in summer of 2013 was over 5 million per. The cost for a David Bolland in 2014 is guaranteed to be north of 4 million. You may only want to pay 3, but then if that's your cap you should have never acquired him. And with that mentality you will likely lose every player you have when they get to UFA status.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

That's subjective depending on how much you value Bolland at. Here's the list of top UFA's (by point production). We can't compare them objectively with Bolland in terms of points as he's only played 15 games this year, so it's subjective based on where you would see him producing in terms of offence, as well as his intangibles.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
They have as much chance of turning into them as Holland does and that was my point .

I'm guessing you have never looked at a FULL list of 2nd round picks. You are happy, over the moon even, to get a Holland. The odds of a Krejci are really slim. spend enough time on here and you would think it's the norm.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

-- hotpaws

Wow. Must have been in the sauce a tad early that date. Post of the year by far. If there was a way to quote that, I would. Not surprised in the least, seeing as to who the poster was who said it.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

Would almost guarantee Edmonton going after him and signing him to that contract. Bolland has the pedigree, that the young players need on their team.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
The trade was made to accelerate the rebuild ( Burkes words ) . it wasn't made with the intent of tanking for the next 3 seasons .

The picks turned out to be a 22 year old ppg C and a 20 year old top 4 D who will probably become a top pairing D in the near future . Not to mention who we could have drafted with the 2nd and 3rd rd picks we gave .

Just stop, you'll be in China soon if you don't stop digging.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

With Bolland I would have to play hard ball. I mean If he wants security with term then we need him at a reasonable number.

(4m or 4.3m) If it is 4 years or so and he gets 4.6 or 4.8 then it is much easier to swallow. We can't go full Clarkson on this situation.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

That player in question who we traded for turned out to be a PPG winger who is currently redeemed (By his peers I.E Patrick Kane.) as one of the best.

Yeah I think this trade has worked out well for us as of late.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Evidence that Bolland wants to stay = His own words.

Evidence that Bolland doesn't want to stay = 0

Dream's conclusion = Bolland clearly doesn't want to stay because he said he does want to stay.

When did I say Bolland wanted to leave? I'm saying he'd be more inclined to leave than Bozak was, for various reasons that I pointed out. Stop using selective reading to create an argument, if you're going to respond to this post. Please quote me where I said that Bolland clearly doesn't want to stay, or that he wants to leave. Please quote the entire post so you can't take a sentence out of context and try flipping it again. :facepalm:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Would almost guarantee Edmonton going after him and signing him to that contract. Bolland has the pedigree, that the young players need on their team.

I could see them offering but I can't see any player willing to go there for that long.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Like Bolland a lot, but can't stomach him at 5M/6-8yrs. We've been doing fine without him - yeah, he would be useful in the playoffs, but one heavy Clarkson contract is enough.

Move Bolland, and re-sign McClement and get Komarov back next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00