The Columbus Dispatch: Boll buy out

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/jared-boll-hits-unconditional-waivers/

Placing him on unconditional waivers is the first step in the process and if he clears, Boll will end up saving the team $1.33 million in 2016-17 while limiting the buyout cap hit to $566,666 in each of the next two seasons.

Correct, but you can "bury" $950k in the AHL. So the remainder of his cap hit still would have counted. $1.7 - $950K = $750K cap hit if the team simply buried him for his final year in Cleveland. That $750K less the $566,666 cap hit they have now due to the buyout is $183K. Everyone but Portzline acknowledges this.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Forget about the money for a second, it's funny how a perennial playoff team, first class organization, like Anaheim, feels Boll is worthy of a one way deal and can add something to their team. Yet the hockey "experts" on this board drove Boll out of town and felt he wasn't worthy of a spot on our garbage, cellar dwelling team. Good on Boll, hope he gets a ring in Anaheim.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Forget about the money for a second, it's funny how a perennial playoff team, first class organization, like Anaheim, feels Boll is worthy of a one way deal and can add something to their team. Yet the hockey "experts" on this board drove Boll out of town and felt he wasn't worthy of a spot on our garbage, cellar dwelling team. Good on Boll, hope he gets a ring in Anaheim.

If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up.

:laugh:

paine

Jun 4, 2007
Would love an honest assessment of what the Ducks can expect out of Boll.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Ducks are falling apart, their board can't stand anything they are doing. Carlyle is not coaching a 2016 team, he's coaching a 2002 team. Slooooooowwwww.
....and at 1/2 the salary he would have been paid here. I bet if he was at $900,000, he'd still be a Jacket

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Dude, man. I figured to wait a few months, nor a few hours.

Happy for Boller should this prove true.

I look forward to posts every time he does something for his new team, and should this new team be ahead of the CBJ at any point in the season, posts saying how he "wasn't good enough for our crappy team but..."

Good times.

Fixed per Viqsi's post. Thanks.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Dude, man. I figured to wait a few months, nor a few hours.

Hence me saying forget about the money for a moment, because most people on this CBJ board, said he didn't deserve to be in the NHL and there wasn't a place for him in today's NHL. And even if he was free, everyone on here would have *****ed about him. That was my whole point, not to figure the money in.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

First class organization? They employ Cory Perry. Boll probably won't even make the team, and if he does he won't play.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Hence me saying forget about the money for a moment, because most people on this CBJ board, said he didn't deserve to be in the NHL and there wasn't a place for him in today's NHL. And even if he was free, everyone on here would have *****ed about him. That was my whole point, not to figure the money in.

My comment didn't have anything to do with money. I figured that people were going to post this crap, even though it's a moot point. Guys get (and don't get) jobs all the time. People would complain if the Jackets added a fourth-liner from a crap team, asking "what the hell would we want with this guy?"

Last edited:

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

Honestly, I wish he would have just retired and been hired to replace River. Boll have his heart to this team, but I wish no more head shots for him at this point.

Still would love for such a great off ice guy to come back.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I suspect they'll look on their two year commitment to Boll the way they look on the Bieksa acquisition.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Good luck to Boll with the Ducks. I hope he does well.

But wow, that's a surprise.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I didn't know that Bob Murray had a drinking problem.

Pennies from heaven. 180 million of them. Congrats Boll! You're going to Disneyland!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Would love an honest assessment of what the Ducks can expect out of Boll.

0-2-2 with 130 PIM

He's a 4th line winger who will fight / stand up for teammates. He will attempt to throw big hits most every shift, probably connecting on 10-15% of them. He will fight every 3-4 games (perhaps less than that now that he's getting up there in age). If he's playing more than 9 minutes a game your team will have some problems.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
And if you need someone to run into the boards (missing the opposing player), he's your guy.
On the plus side, has become a very good fighter, seems like a great guy off the ice and is well respected in the room.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I don't think there's any questions that Boll is a good human being, but when it comes to hockey, he must have naked pictures of someone to get a one-way contract. He's a marginal 4th liner that can fight that might accidentally score a goal. Master of the air check too.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Anaheim is one of those teams that always has a heavyweight. Boll is likely replacing Tim Jackman (CBJ draft pick) who barely played last season for the Ducks. The problem is Jackman also rarely fought since there wasn't anyone wanting to dance with him, even in the AHL.

I suppose Boll is an upgrade over Jackman.

Interesting comments from Jackman in this LA Times article about his time in Columbus:

But those alternatives pale in comparison to Jackman's interest in remaining an NHL player, and so in 2004, when he played just 19 games with Columbus and felt vulnerable to a demotion to another career, Jackman made a key decision.

"Columbus wanted me to fight and I wasn't fighting — never had. In college, I'd just stand there. I was scared," Jackman said.

"I just realized, 'I want to play hockey. I'll do whatever it takes to continue to do the thing I want to do.' "

http://www.latimes.com/sports/ducks/la-sp-ducks-fyi-20150215-story.html

If Jackman ends up with traumatic brain injuries as a result of all the fights, that's going to be very sad decision. Maybe being a rancher in North Dakota would have been a better career decision.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
My comment didn't have anything to do with money. I figured that people were going to post this crap, even though it's a moot point. Guys get (and don't get) jobs all the time. People would complain if the Jackets added a fourth-liner from a crap team, asking "what the hell would we want with this guy?"

Can you say Adam Cracknell....

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

To the bolded: Boll was not driven out of town and opinions on this board mean nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad