The Columbus Dispatch: Boll buy out

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Buy-out would be cheaper for the owners. Saves around $600k for them.

Ironically, that's about how much he was overpaid when the contract was offered.

Appreciate his efforts on the ice, guy left it all out there, but its time to move on. Actually last year might have been the time to move on, but no way they buy out a guy one year into a deal they offered him.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
While I am someone that wanted to see another player in over Boll, you would have to have no heart to not let what he tweeted not make you feel sad for the guy.

Not only does the one team that he's played for his whole career, the one that made a kids dream come true, tell you "we will pay you to leave,".....he's probably realizing he may never play in the NHL again.

Plus he loves it here and you can tell the team loved him, too.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I was always in favor of the past boll signing and I would have rather they kept him and played him sparingly. The guy was a heart and soul jacket and always gave his all. I'll miss you boller.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
He was 1 of my favorite players. Would have preferred for him to be the 13th forward and then let him walk as a UFA next Summer. I hope he gets a shot with another team.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
This is another one that you saw coming a mile away but boy does it sting. Boller may not have the skill set of a top liner but he brings it every single night and I dare one of those top line boys to take a constant beating like he has and still show up with a smile night in and night out. I'll be 100% honest and agree with the poster who hopes he takes this time to hang them up, although I'm sure he probably won't. I'd be shocked if he's gotten this far without picking up any permanent brain damage and, as someone who has suffered multiple traumas myself, I don't with that on even my worst enemy let alone someone I like.

If he does continue playing I sincerely hope nobody boos him when he comes back to Nationwide. I would put forth that nobody has left as much on that ice as Jared Boll and if anyone is deserving of cheers and a tribute it's him.

Good luck and God speed Boller!

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Best of wishes for a great future to Boll.

It's always tough when an organization simply has no use for a good human being but not a valuable player. The NHL is much faster and precise for unproductive forwards that are remember for throwing fists.

Hopefully he finds some spot in the organization like Tyler Wright and Jody Shelly did (similar players).

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
You are all meanies and bullies and it's your fault he is getting bought out. How are you going to sleep tonight?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
If Jared Boll never has to take another punch to the head, I'll sleep better.

I'm sure he will too. I am now and always will be a fan of fighting in hockey but in a natural sense not really planned fights. That makes it less likely for a guy to have 10 a year and deal with the long term effects. But what Boll did for this team... I'm sure there are a lot of guys in that locker room just as upset as Jared because they know what he did for them and what he would have continued to do if he got to stay this year. True warrior who had undying loyalty and devotion for his team and teammates. I truly hope they bring him into the organization and put him on a mic.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Pour one out for ca5150.

It's a sad day for those of us that like fighting and Boll. You anti-Boll people got what you wanted so let the hate go. He deserves respect, he was highly thought of in the room and literally bled for his teammates and the fans. Many nights there was nothing at all worth watching on the ice other than a good Boll scrap. I will miss him and thank him for his service. I hope he catches on with a contender, I'm hearing Ottawa is interested. Wish him the best, great guy.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Wish him well.

Ton of heart. Not much talent. He's 30 years old and has 9 full NHL seasons under his belt without ever playing a single game in the minors. A very successful career even if he never laces up his skates for another game at any level.

As hockey became Disney on Ice, guys like Boll were made obsolete. He should consider himself very fortunate to have gotten his last contract as the writing was clearly on the wall about fighting. He'll have earned just a tad under $4.5 million on that 3 year deal-even with the buyout.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Why would Anderson not play 4th line?

The team could have put him in Cleveland for his last year and that would have opened up his roster spot, but I take it Boll said no and preferred a buyout to catch on with another team.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
The team is better off without Boll, but it's a shame that's the case. It's not due to a lack of effort from Boll. He's given his heart and soul to the team.

Boll making the NHL as a rookie was a huge mistake. He is not the type of player who should never have played in the AHL. He needed at least 2 seasons in the AHL to learn to be a power forward at pro level. Instead, all he learned to be is an "energy" 4th liner who played with the exuberance of a Labrador puppy running into everyone on the ice. And his offensive potential was severely limited.

The transition you saw from Sedlak this season is a good example. He said something kind of clicked that he didn't need to just focus on defense, but he could actually try to score and be offensive first rather than worried about what the other team was doing all the time.

It might be too late, but Boll on a 2-way contract playing first line minutes in all situations in the AHL where he learns to be the go-to power forward might help him finally have some offensive potential.

There's so much potential for life-threatening damage if he continues trying to earn a living as a heavy-weight fighter. He needs to have more to offer a team than just the ability to be a living punching bag.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad