The Columbus Dispatch: Boll buy out

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's a sad day for those of us that like fighting and Boll. You anti-Boll people got what you wanted so let the hate go. He deserves respect, he was highly thought of in the room and literally bled for his teammates and the fans. Many nights there was nothing at all worth watching on the ice other than a good Boll scrap. I will miss him and thank him for his service. I hope he catches on with a contender, I'm hearing Ottawa is interested. Wish him the best, great guy.

....Was waiting for you to post as I know you have been a huge supporter of Boll. While I was for the buyout, I fully share your sentiments about all that you said about him.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I would love a Hartnell-Karlsson-Anderson 4th line.

Sorry, but I am not looking to put a guy who was 3rd in points and 4th in goals on the 4th line. Even with an increase in minutes for a competent 4th line, it's too few for Hartneel. Calvert is much better suited for the role.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Neither of those two should be getting fourth line minutes, if they are, they are better off in Lake Erie.

The problem is the term "fourth line minutes". Rolling 4 lines was what enabled Lake Erie to destroy their opponents in the AHL playoffs.

The Monsters were playing 1st round draft picks on their 4th line while opponents were playing career AHLers who shouldn't have been on the same ice and were two steps slower.

Shortening the bench because Boll cannot contribute 5 on 5 and only plays 5-8 minutes isn't going to work in today's NHL. If the 4th line can play 10-12 minutes, go out after a long power play and give the top 2 lines a breather and play regular minutes, it helps the team throughout the whole season.

The 4th line needs to do more than "provide energy" or wear down opponents or go out and hit hard. They need to have scoring chances and spend most of their time in the offensive zone. At the very least, they need to get an offensive zone face-off for the 1st line.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I would love a Hartnell-Karlsson-Anderson 4th line.

Who are your other 3 LW's? Or is this just an abstract wish?

Personally I think Hartnell on the 4th line would be a waste of his talents. But I do see where he'd add some agitator, some physical play and some scoring.

I still think we are a player short. If we move Jenner to C who plays the 3rd LW? Dubois? Then how does that help him become a center if that is the ultimate goal?

Move Calvert to the 3rd line? I guess that works.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Personally I think Hartnell on the 4th line would be a waste of his talents. But I do see where he'd add some agitator, some physical play and some scoring.

I still think we are a player short. If we move Jenner to C who plays the 3rd LW? Dubois? Then how does that help him become a center if that is the ultimate goal?

Move Calvert to the 3rd line? I guess that works.

I'd rather see Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson on the 4th line, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about if Calvert is back skating with Dubi and Cam. Those three were back to their old tricks at the end of the year and Calvert can still score if given the chance. Compared to some of the other complementary scorers top teams are icing, I actually think the Jackets are pretty stacked.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

If things go how I WANT

Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Dubois-Atkinson
Calvert-Dubi-Foligno
Hartnell-Karlsson-Anderson

Swapping Calvert and Hartnell is just fine too. Just like the addition of Calvert on the 3rd line to give more speed. New league, need more speed. Not sure if a Hartnell-Dubi-Foligno line is fast enough.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
deja vu: this was me one year ago today with saad signing.

And you were right. The team did actually have great depth through the middle-six. Compare the 4th through 9th scorers with those on other teams.

It's the top line and the fourth lines that fell apart.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'd rather see Calvert-Karlsson-Anderson on the 4th line, but I don't think it's anything to be worried about if Calvert is back skating with Dubi and Cam. Those three were back to their old tricks at the end of the year and Calvert can still score if given the chance. Compared to some of the other complementary scorers top teams are icing, I actually think the Jackets are pretty stacked.

Those "old tricks" is a great observation. That's a nice line, and for some probably irrational reason I really associate Matty with Cam. I feel they bring out the best in each other

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Those "old tricks" is a great observation. That's a nice line, and for some probably irrational reason I really associate Matty with Cam. I feel they bring out the best in each other

Yeah Cam plays with more abandon when he's with Calvert, and Calvert gets in on the scoring.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Definitely a move that needed to be made. I liked Boll but his usefulness on the ice had long since passed. He gave a lot to the team and the organization. Good guy, not such a good hockey player. Wish him luck and time to turn the page.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
It's going to be aweful to see Boll in another uniform, just so wrong!
Thanks for the time Boll and good luck wherever you go!!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Happy for Boller should this prove true.

I look forward to posts every time he does something for his new team, and should this new team be ahead of the CBJ at any point in the season, posts saying how he "wasn't good enough for our crappy team but..."

Good times.

Fixed per Viqsi's post. Thanks.

Last edited:

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Good for him.
January 19. Mark it. Boll vs. Prout.

Fighting isn't part of the new NHL. There's no need for anyone to "protect" skilled players. Jared went to the Ducks for his hockey ability, so sorry you wont be seeing Boll vs Prout.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A random twitter user tweeted to Porty that buying out Boll only saved $183k against the cap v.s. burying. AP quoted it and said "not true." Porty, need some help on that math man :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad