Player Discussion: Bode Wilde

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hickey is a on a 4 year deal himself. So he will probably be here for majority of that contract.
Mayfield is putting points, which is a surprise for his style of play.
I like that we have somewhat young Defensemen under contract. Lets hope the Player Development staff does its job!

Apparently the cap may go up to 83M next season. At that number, Hickey’s 2.5M AAV is only 3% of the cap. He can be a 7D as soon as next season, all four of Toews/Aho/Wotherspoon/Vande Sompel have higher upside.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Apparently the cap may go up to 83M next season. At that number, Hickey’s 2.5M AAV is only 3% of the cap. He can be a 7D as soon as next season, all four of Toews/Aho/Wotherspoon/Vande Sompel have higher upside.

If Hickey is the #7D next season, that would mean that a lot of things went right in regards to the kiddie corps. While I think Hickey would embrace anything, I would think he would want to be moved so he can play more elsewhere if he's on heavy press box duty. With 2 years left on his contract, he would be movable since he is so cheap.

Even if Toews and one of the other LD kids emerges, we still need a high end LD prospect in the system. If we have multiple 1sts, I take an LD with our 2nd pick. Like how we grabbed CdH in 2009.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
If Hickey is the #7D next season, that would mean that a lot of things went right in regards to the kiddie corps. While I think Hickey would embrace anything, I would think he would want to be moved so he can play more elsewhere if he's on heavy press box duty. With 2 years left on his contract, he would be movable since he is so cheap.

Even if Toews and one of the other LD kids emerges, we still need a high end LD prospect in the system. If we have multiple 1sts, I take an LD with our 2nd pick. Like how we grabbed CdH in 2009.

I agree, Toews is the organization’s best LD prospect, and he’s on the cusp of making the jump. Time to replenish because you always need good defensemen.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Wilde played in Niagara and Saginaw had 5D two rookies, 2 regulars and a forward. They lost 6-5 but Wilde played over 30 min. A goal and an assist giving him GP-22 G-6 A-18 Pts-24. How he does not get a chance to play in the Juniors is beyond me. His defensive game is getting better but still needs work but those offensive skills are as good as any D in the OHL.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not sure why they are snubbing him, could use his offensive talent. Maybe bc he didn’t go the college route?

Reactions: Finster8

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wilde played in Niagara and Saginaw had 5D two rookies, 2 regulars and a forward. They lost 6-5 but Wilde played over 30 min. A goal and an assist giving him GP-22 G-6 A-18 Pts-24. How he does not get a chance to play in the Juniors is beyond me. His defensive game is getting better but still needs work but those offensive skills are as good as any D in the OHL.

I’m just glad he’s in a position to be playing so many minutes and produce. Very good development year for him thus far.

Also, I agree. Not even an invite to camp is ridiculous

Reactions: Finster8

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Thats the reason why.

Reactions: periferal

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone been able to watch him play? Seems like he's lighting up the OHL - 3rd in PPG among defensemen right now. At around 6'5, 200 lbs (still growing??) is there any chance he's NHL ready before Dobson? Salivating at the idea of replacing Hickey/Pelech with Toews/Wilde

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Has anyone been able to watch him play? Seems like he's lighting up the OHL - 3rd in PPG among defensemen right now. At around 6'5, 200 lbs (still growing??) is there any chance he's NHL ready before Dobson? Salivating at the idea of replacing Hickey/Pelech with Toews/Wilde

Love Wilde! He was one of my favorite Defensman in the draft. He’s having a great year.

That being said, I don’t think he will be ready before Dobson. Dobson’s defensive game and understanding is a lot more advanced than Wilde’s.

While I do think Wilde’s defensive question marks have been blown way out of proportion, he still does need to develop his game in his own end.

His hockey IQ is really good and his
Offensive game and instincts are off the charts. He’s an excellent skater. Not just for his size. He’s a good skater period. Also has good skills.Hes a legit prospect who could have easily been drafted in the first round.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Love Wilde! He was one of my favorite Defensman in the draft. He’s having a great year.

That being said, I don’t think he will be ready before Dobson. Dobson’s defensive game and understanding is a lot more advanced than Wilde’s.

While I do think Wilde’s defensive question marks have been blown way out of proportion, he still does need to develop his game in his own end.

His hockey IQ is really good and his
Offensive game and instincts are off the charts. He’s an excellent skater. Not just for his size. He’s a good skater period. Also has good skills.Hes a legit prospect who could have easily been drafted in the first round.

I haven't watched him that much, but he's an interesting prospect in that when i watch him i feel like he's either a forward who's playing well on D, or at least a D-man who could play the forward position if needed.

What do you think?

Reactions: SI90

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I haven't watched him that much, but he's an interesting prospect in that when i watch him i feel like he's either a forward who's playing well on D, or at least a D-man who could play the forward position if needed.

What do you think?

Thomas Hickey

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I came to this thread hoping to be excited about his development but i did NOT expect to see the names Burns and Subban thrown in here.

Reactions: islesfan66

Spybot

May 12, 2014
I came to this thread hoping to be excited about his development but i did NOT expect to see the names Burns and Subban thrown in here.
They were both early 2nd rounders with comparable status and Subban as a prospect was described as someone with amazing tools, but questionable toolbox, so at least superficially there's undeniable similarity there. Of course it'll be a massive win if he manages to put it together in the same way. Best to keep your expectations in check.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
is it true that wilde can play in the AHL next season? Would be great to fast track his development. Imagine Aho - Wilde next season wow. THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

Reactions: danteipp and dood

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
is it true that wilde can play in the AHL next season? Would be great to fast track his development. Imagine Aho - Wilde next season wow. THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

He can but pro is no joke. Needs to really work on his defensive game to play pro. I have faith he will get there though. He’s so talented offensively and his combination of size and skating is excellent

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
He can but pro is no joke. Needs to really work on his defensive game to play pro. I have faith he will get there though. He’s so talented offensively and his combination of size and skating is excellent

AHL is still a developmental league. We have had a few 'wish he could play in the AHL' scenarios recently. He'll be allowed to make his mistakes for 2 or even 3 AHL seasons if needed.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
AHL is still a developmental league. We have had a few 'wish he could play in the AHL' scenarios recently. He'll be allowed to make his mistakes for 2 or even 3 AHL seasons if needed.

I want him there. I just hope people realize there will be growing pains. The AHL is still pro hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad