Player Discussion: Bode Wilde

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
True, that seems to be the problem to date.

And I agree with the latter as well.

One fell into their lap, the other was taken, well, somewhere few had thought they'd see him taken. Both are risky, risky picks.

As for Wilde, it'll be interesting to see where things go now. Does he at least become Bogosian or Mayfield? Does he go college or OHL?

In general, I tend to like the USNTDP kids. That immediately tells me they are "safer" than most, especially if they had a top 2 line role for the program in their draft year.

Still, gotta wonder if someone finds a cure for "bodeheadedness" before the NYI need to sign him.

Haha! Trademark that one! I like the USNTDP kids too. That's definitely a plus. Hope it pans out!

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I thought he was a lock to go to Saginaw?
Saginaw fan here Jenkins, Goldowski, Everett have played with Wilde he would fit in with his friends and have plenty of TOI to develop. Saginaw will be a very solid team over the next few years.

Reactions: SI

SI

Feb 16, 2013
True, that seems to be the problem to date.

And I agree with the latter as well.

One fell into their lap, the other was taken, well, somewhere few had thought they'd see him taken. Both are risky, risky picks.

As for Wilde, it'll be interesting to see where things go now. Does he at least become Bogosian or Mayfield? Does he go college or OHL?

In general, I tend to like the USNTDP kids. That immediately tells me they are "safer" than most, especially if they had a top 2 line role for the program in their draft year.

Still, gotta wonder if someone finds a cure for "bodeheadedness" before the NYI need to sign him.

This is a great pick.

He is going to juniors and I expect a big year from Bode.

He is also the perfect prospect piece for a trade later in the year or next offseason.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is a great pick.

He is going to juniors and I expect a big year from Bode.

He is also the perfect prospect piece for a trade later in the year or next offseason.

His positional value is a huge plus with him. With Dobson, Wilde is the hedging of our bets for a high end RD. Big, swift skating, skilled RD's are highly desired the NHL and we drafted two of them.

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Any news on the where is Wilde playing? OHL has been mentioned Saginaw has his rights and would like to get him there. Maybe waiting until training camp then send him to the Spirit. Just think he would develop the most in the OHL at his age.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Any news on the where is Wilde playing? OHL has been mentioned Saginaw has his rights and would like to get him there. Maybe waiting until training camp then send him to the Spirit. Just think he would develop the most in the OHL at his age.

He’s going to Saginaw.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I loved the Wilde pick when it went down. Now it's all about development. Kid has all the talent in the world to make an impact in the NHL.

While I would normally cringe at a Phaneuf comparison, I think it fits. Wilde has sick tools, but a questionable head for the game. As long as he's not the tool that Dion is, I'd take that.

Last edited:
Reactions: IODCPiper

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
While I would normally cringe at a Phaneuf comparison, I think it fits. Wilde has sick tools, but a questionable head for the game. A long as he's not the tool that Dion is, I'd take that.

I agree. There is nothing with having a Dion on your team. The problem I have found is the expectations are too high on him. If Wilde can be another Dion. There is nothing wrong with this.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
While I would normally cringe at a Phaneuf comparison, I think it fits. Wilde has sick tools, but a questionable head for the game. A long as he's not the tool that Dion is, I'd take that.

Nothing wrong with Phaneuf's career; if we get that performance on the second or third line we will be quite happy.

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
I agree. There is nothing with having a Dion on your team. The problem I have found is the expectations are too high on him. If Wilde can be another Dion. There is nothing wrong with this.

This. Dion was never a top pairing defensemen and that was the problem. We have a similar situation with Leddy here where we are asking him to do something his capabilities don't fit too. Wilde could be a terrific second or third pairing defensemen.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This. Dion was never a top pairing defensemen and that was the problem. We have a similar situation with Leddy here where we are asking him to do something his capabilities don't fit too. Wilde could be a terrific second or third pairing defensemen.

It will be interesting how he adapts his game to the OHL. He doesn't seem interested in school so he can just focus on his game. He's got a chip on his shoulder too. If he has a big season, his star rises considerably. Even then, people are patient with kids with dynamic tools. Dropping to the 2nd also lengthens his leash.

If Dobson and Wilde pan out with Pulock continuing his progression, our right side is beastly. Like the Blues when they had Pietrangelo, Parayko, and Shattenkirk.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Bryan Berard (by his own admission!) wasn’t exactly finishing up his senior thesis at Brown when we acquired him. Still ended up being a very productive player until some bad luck. Wilde will receive much better coaching than Berard ever did too...

What the hell. Color me optimistic...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I liked Bode Wilde in the rookie scrimmage. Only made one mistake that I caught and it wasn't even entirely his fault. Someone picked off one of his passes in mid air at the blue line and ended up getting a scoring chance the other way. Other than that he was solid.... skated well and played physical.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think Wilde is a good pick because if he makes it, he's going to be behind Dobson and Pulock, so he's not going to have to be "the guy" offensively or defensively.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
High hopes for Wilde

If he becomes a regular NHL player, can his nickname be the Wildeman?

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Looks like Saginaw has a big announcement today. Wilde is signing making the team instantly better and a force in the Western Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad