Player Discussion: Bode Wilde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
What we're the issues that the commentators we're referring to as to why he dropped so much?

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
Too bad that job now becomes his CHL coach, Marty Reasoner and Eric Cairns.

I think he will be fine, just a few years away while Dobson is possibly one or two years.
When I said that I meant when he finally makes the team. If he still has any problems defensively

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Once Lou brings in some competent A coaches, I am hopeful we start having success in the A and they come up to the dance more prepared and actually learn/improve instead of regress.

Bode could use some mentoring and help improve our defensive prospect core

Reactions: LamorielloAndSon

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If this kid can be receptive to good coaching and cut down on his derps, he has got sick tools. His tools set is better than Dobson, big time homerun swing here.

The Wilde pick looks a lot better when you already have Dobson. I hope it works out.

Reactions: Isles72 and SI90

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Based on what I read from Sam Cosentino, pretty much the draft eligible hockey God, your assessment seems pretty accurate. He says he could be like Scott Niedermayer if he can get it all together.
I think these boom/bust guys are the perfect types of players to take with 2nd round picks. The good news is that we also have the perfect coach to get him to buy in and play a defensively sound game while not limiting his ability.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Konk does not approve. I'm always apprehensive drafting someone with tools and no tool box. You can't really teach intelligence lol. You can hope to have him cut down on mistakes and tell him things to do and not to do, but you can't make his brain dissect a situation any faster. Anyway, at 41, no harm no foul. Probably much better choices out there, but an okay time to take a gamble. I just wish they hadn't gambled on both 2nd round picks. Gamble on 1 or the other, not both.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
His scouting report sounds like a D version of Ho-sang.

Based on what I read from Sam Cosentino, pretty much the draft eligible hockey God, your assessment seems pretty accurate. He says he could be like Scott Niedermayer if he can get it all together.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This guy should have went in the late 1st round according to the scouting consensus. BPA at 41 for sure. Islanders got a solid prospect in the second round with great tools to work with.

Reactions: Finster8

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This guy should have went in the late 1st round according to the scouting consensus. BPA at 41 for sure. Islanders got a solid prospect in the second round with great tools to work with.

Our problem has been horrid coaching and player development. With likely an entire overhaul of the coaching staff, I feel better about putting Wilde in a position to succeed and receive the proper guidance. His tools are pretty spectacular, it's his brain I'm afraid of.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I hope Wilde does go to the OHL and gets some good coaching. From the description of his weak areas, he'd benefit from playing 60+ games.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I always said he reminds me of Jacob Trouba, and I was fine taking him at 12 if all the top Dmen were gone. He’s worth the risk. I think we got the steal of the draft.

NC 1972

Dec 8, 2017
I still am perplexed by the comments about him falling, the commentators said with more and more teams doing their due diligence things get found out (paraphrasing here). That to me speaks to something other then on ice issues. Did anyone else get that vibe?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Konk does not approve. I'm always apprehensive drafting someone with tools and no tool box. You can't really teach intelligence lol. You can hope to have him cut down on mistakes and tell him things to do and not to do, but you can't make his brain dissect a situation any faster. Anyway, at 41, no harm no foul. Probably much better choices out there, but an okay time to take a gamble. I just wish they hadn't gambled on both 2nd round picks. Gamble on 1 or the other, not both.

True, that seems to be the problem to date.

And I agree with the latter as well.

One fell into their lap, the other was taken, well, somewhere few had thought they'd see him taken. Both are risky, risky picks.

As for Wilde, it'll be interesting to see where things go now. Does he at least become Bogosian or Mayfield? Does he go college or OHL?

In general, I tend to like the USNTDP kids. That immediately tells me they are "safer" than most, especially if they had a top 2 line role for the program in their draft year.

Still, gotta wonder if someone finds a cure for "bodeheadedness" before the NYI need to sign him.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
As an aside, the last guy we drafted with "attitude problems" was Matt Barzal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad