Player Discussion: Bode Wilde

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
The thing I don't get is Bouchard. When I see him, I see a player who makes Jr. plays and Jr. speed, and then he's no better than Wilde defensively. With Wilde I see a player who makes pro plays at pro speed, who needs to learn D-zone coverage and better gap control. And Wilde's more traditional approach to the PP is IMO more of a pro approach as well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The thing I don't get is Bouchard. When I see him, I see a player who makes Jr. plays and Jr. speed, and then he's no better than Wilde defensively. With Wilde I see a player who makes pro plays at pro speed, who needs to learn D-zone coverage and better gap control. And Wilde's more traditional approach to the PP is IMO more of a pro approach as well.

As much as I wanted Dobson, I wanted to avoid Bouchard at all costs. I preferred Wilde over Bouchard if given the choice.

What concerns me most about Bouchard is that he seems completely disinterested in playing defense, the effort level is pathetic and then he comes alive once he has the puck and is in the offensive zone. When he does try, he isn't very good defensively anyway. I'm afraid he will always he a defensive liability. Oiler fans are hoping for John Carlson 2.0, I see Kevin Shattenkirk at best.

I haven't seen enough of Wilde to know what his defensive game is like, but I'm encouraged that it will be Trotz and his crew overseeing his development.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

I loved Bouchard until saw Dobson in the playoffs last year. I thought Bouchard physical talent would help him grow defensively. Hasn’t happened. He’s gifted offensively but once he’s in the neutral and defensive zone he’s a train wreck. Edmonton did us another favor because I believe had they taken Dobson we may have ended up taking Bouchard if we kept the pick.

Dobson is a 5 tool player. Kid does it all and he’s so smart and calm. Also, he’s gotten so much valuable experience that you can’t teach by playing consecutive years of playoffs and memorial cup hockey and winning both.

As for Wilde, he was one of my favorite defenseman all year and leading up to the draft. I think the off ice stuff is a bit overblown. Same with Wahlstrom. These guys have the talent to become pros so they want to go to the best programs possible to help them achieve their goals. It’s hard to argue Wilde made the wrong decision. I would have loved for him to play for Michigan but he had a monster year for Saginaw. I think the confidence he gained from dominating this year is so important.

So happy with Dobson and Wilde. Add in Pulock who is now the young old vet and our right side is looking amazing for the future if everything pans out.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I have to agree with S190, Wilde just kept getting better as he made the jump to the OHL. For his 1st season he definitely showed his speed for a big guy and natural offensive skills that were off the charts. The Spirit having their best season and made it all the way to the conference final with basically 4 D.
If Bode can keep improving defensively his offense will always be there. Watching him from game 1 to the end of the season he matured but needs that defensive part of the game to get better. As he plays with better players it will help him to not try and do everything himself.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I have to agree with S190, Wilde just kept getting better as he made the jump to the OHL. For his 1st season he definitely showed his speed for a big guy and natural offensive skills that were off the charts. The Spirit having their best season and made it all the way to the conference final with basically 4 D.
If Bode can keep improving defensively his offense will always be there. Watching him from game 1 to the end of the season he matured but needs that defensive part of the game to get better. As he plays with better players it will help him to not try and do everything himself.

What do you think is best for him next year? Seems like he could very likely be in the AHL.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
What do you think is best for him next year? Seems like he could very likely be in the AHL.

His development would be better with more mature players and AHL would be the best choice. The key will be getting enough TOI to improve his D game. How he looks in camp will determine where his defensive game is at. If it is not up to par maybe he comes back to Saginaw I don't see this happening but we would gladly take back the best Dman in the OHL next season.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
His development would be better with more mature players and AHL would be the best choice. The key will be getting enough TOI to improve his D game. How he looks in camp will determine where his defensive game is at. If it is not up to par maybe he comes back to Saginaw I don't see this happening but we would gladly take back the best Dman in the OHL next season.
Really appreciate your updates on Bode this season - thanks for them!

JMO, I don't think TOI would be a problem. It would behoove the Islanders to get him on the ice on a regular basis even if there are some mental lapses (or other mistakes) on defense. Long term, that would benefit the team the most.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
at last years prospect scrimmage i was taken back by how fast bode is... barring a star player coming back id hold onto bode and dobson.
I recall hearing some commentator compare him to Scott Niedermayer at last year's draft. That's about as good as it gets for skating defensemen, and even if it's not entirely accurate no one else laughed at the comment or shouted the guy down.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
I recall hearing some commentator compare him to Scott Niedermayer at last year's draft. That's about as good as it gets for skating defensemen, and even if it's not entirely accurate no one else laughed at the comment or shouted the guy down.
i heard (i think here) a PK subban comparison which is exciting.... but niedermayer is one of my all time fav players so ill take that!

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Really appreciate your updates on Bode this season - thanks for them!

JMO, I don't think TOI would be a problem. It would behoove the Islanders to get him on the ice on a regular basis even if there are some mental lapses (or other mistakes) on defense. Long term, that would benefit the team the most.

I enjoyed this year and as a small market American team with loads of talent. Watching Wilde and Jenkins develop was fun. Being able to share my opinions on a knowledgeable thread made it easy. I am a Bode Wilde fan for life I believe he will be a star one day.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Do we see Bode Wilde opening the season with Bridgeport for the 19-20 season? I can't see him learning much more in the OHL and the Isles will want to keep their options open.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
He's only 19, so I don't think he's AHL eligible. NHL or Juniors for him.

Actually not.

But that's because he was drafted OUT of the USNTD program, not out of juniors.

His decision to go to juniors was first made after having been drafted and as such, he can already play in the AHL this season.

Dobson, on the other hand, was drafted out of the CHL and thus, cannot play in the AHL due the regulation you're thinking of.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Actually not.

But that's because he was drafted OUT of the USNTD program, not out of juniors.

His decision to go to juniors was first made after having been drafted and as such, he can already play in the AHL this season.

Dobson, on the other hand, was drafted out of the CHL and thus, cannot play in the AHL due the regulation you're thinking of.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying Chapin. I had forgotten he came up through the American system due to him being in Saginaw last season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Saw this when posting Dobson and Wally pre draft rankings and comments. Let's also do Bob Mckenzie's final draft comments on Wilde.

Like any draft, and like any rankings, there are some wild cards. U.S. defenceman Bode Wilde takes that to a new literal level.

Quite aside from the easy pun, Wilde fits the bill. Four of our surveyed scouts had him top 20, four had between 40 and 60.

Wilde is No. 25 on the TSN list. It goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway, he could go higher or lower than that.

nmburkholder

Jul 23, 2020
How has he been? Stat wise two points in 8 games. Has his defensive game developed or still a high risk high reward type player?

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I’m interested in seeing where he ends up playing as it seems like he may have limited options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad