Injury Report: Bobrovsky out 3 weeks. UPDATE: activated 1/15 2ND UPDATE: re-injured 1/22

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't remember failed comebacks in the past. At least not mid-season. Ok I could be wrong on this one, but I don't remember that last year (as an example). He normally comes back and plays his best hockey after injuries.

Last year, i think, he hurt it, came back and then hurt it again. Not right away a few weeks. I'm going to check it out.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Last year, i think, he hurt it, came back and then hurt it again. Not right away a few weeks. I'm going to check it out.

Nope, here's his history. That wouldn't account for any "started skating and aggravated" types, but it would cover what you were talking about. Honestly, for groin injuries they are pretty short stays on IR to be honest.

Dec 30, 2015 Missed 10 games (lower body injury).
Dec 10, 2015 Lower body injury, injured reserve.
Feb 28, 2015 Missed 15 games (groin).
Jan 26, 2015 Groin, injured reserve.

Jan 09, 2015 Signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets to a four-year contract extension.
Dec 31, 2014 Missed 1 game (illness).
Dec 27, 2014 Illness, day-to-day.
Nov 14, 2014 Missed 7 games (fractured finger).
Oct 28, 2014 Fractured finger, injured reserve.
Mar 29, 2014 Missed 1 game (flu).
Mar 28, 2014 Flu, day-to-day.
Jan 02, 2014 Missed 12 games (strained groin).
Dec 04, 2013 Strained groin, injured reserve.

Jun 30, 2013 Re-signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets to a two-year contract.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As a goalie, 5 groin injuries in 3 seasons is pretty concerning, especially when he's already seemingly injury prone..making $7M
+

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
As a goalie, 5 groin injuries in 3 seasons is pretty concerning, especially when he's already seemingly injury prone..making $7M
+
yep. not good. Chronic groin injury like Varlamov had in W. Capitals, but last two seasons Varlamov played in Avalanches without groin problems. Incorrect technique? ( I don't know:shakehead)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
+

Sorry, when were the other 2? I see three groin injuries since the start of the 2013 season.

We do need to quit over playing him though. He's not a 65+ game a season goal tender.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sorry, when were the other 2? I see three groin injuries since the start of the 2013 season.

We do need to quit over playing him though. He's not a 65+ game a season goal tender.

go up a couple of posts. There are 4 highlighted plus these last 2 which aren't called groins there. That's 6. Goes to my point of him probably not completely healed before he tries to come back. Can't say for sure but it sure seems like it to me.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
go up a couple of posts. There are 4 highlighted plus these last 2 which aren't called groins there. That's 6. Goes to my point of him probably not completely healed before he tries to come back. Can't say for sure but it sure seems like it to me.

No it's not. The bottom line is the time of initial injury, the one above it is the date of return. So when they went on IR, when they returned, and how many games they missed. So those 4 highlighted lines are only 2 injuries.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I know it's not exactly easy to do, but maybe we need to get a system like Dallas. If we can find a competitive backup who really splits time more evenly instead of just play when he's hurt, I think we'll do a lot better and Bob will be staying at lot healthier

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I know it's not exactly easy to do, but maybe we need to get a system like Dallas. If we can find a competitive backup who really splits time more evenly instead of just play when he's hurt, I think we'll do a lot better and Bob will be staying at lot healthier

There's no way to work that under the cap. There's over $7 mil committed to Bobrovsky for the next three years beyond this one, there's Forsberg and Korpisalo (and Dansk) in the pipeline, and a planned 55:30 game split (or thereabout) simply wouldn't work.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
There's no way to work that under the cap. There's over $7 mil committed to Bobrovsky for the next three years beyond this one, there's Forsberg and Korpisalo (and Dansk) in the pipeline, and a planned 55:30 game split (or thereabout) simply wouldn't work.
Unless said backup is already in the lineup :naughty: :naughty:

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I am not doubting the severity of Bobs' injury but the season is lost and the CBJ are in youngster mode. I used to believe in finishing strong one year to gain momentum going into the next year. However, after last season's 15-1-1 finish resulted in an 0-8 start this season I am no longer on that bandwagon...its a fantasy.

Could it be the CBJ see Auston Matthews sitting there at #1 and although they are not "tanking"...there is no harm in letting Bobs sit an extra few weeks and then heck...send him up to Cleveland for a "conditioning stint" to buy some extra losses.

I know Bobs is an ultra competitive guy but do you think its possible JD and JK have a different agenda than the club?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I am not doubting the severity of Bobs' injury but the season is lost and the CBJ are in youngster mode. I used to believe in finishing strong one year to gain momentum going into the next year. However, after last season's 15-1-1 finish resulted in an 0-8 start this season I am no longer on that bandwagon...its a fantasy.

Could it be the CBJ see Auston Matthews sitting there at #1 and although they are not "tanking"...there is no harm in letting Bobs sit an extra few weeks and then heck...send him up to Cleveland for a "conditioning stint" to buy some extra losses.

I know Bobs is an ultra competitive guy but do you think its possible JD and JK have a different agenda than the club?

I would think it's up to Bob, that being said they could strongly encourage him to take a few extra days.

As for the theory I hope the same thing - no use finishing strong we've proven a few times a great finish has no impact on strong start.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The fantasy of a ton of the fans; the front office tanking for the sake of a higher draft pick (Well, not tanking - but sitting their #1 goal tender who can go on massive winning streaks so that we don't win as much. You know that version of not tanking). Sure, that's exactly what they are doing.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
The fantasy of a ton of the fans; the front office tanking for the sake of a higher draft pick (Well, not tanking - but sitting their #1 goal tender who can go on massive winning streaks so that we don't win as much. You know that version of not tanking). Sure, that's exactly what they are doing.

Hard for any of us to say with any certainity whats in the mind of Jarmo, and Jd. Maybe they want to see Forsberg, and Korp for an extended period of time. Its hard not to notice that Jarmo, after watching Matthews, Jesse Puljujärvi, and Patrik Laine all blow up at recent tournament he was at, and then he comes back and pulls trigger on Ryjo Trade. They would never admit it, but you would have to think they are looking at getting one of these 3 to replace Johan, and many think its an instant upgrade.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I finally did a little math on it. Folks should be aware that even if we do finish dead last, we only get a 50/50 shot of getting a top 3 pick.

In other words, the most likely draft position is 4th.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I finally did a little math on it. Folks should be aware that even if we do finish dead last, we only get a 50/50 shot of getting a top 3 pick.

I never liked this lottery bs; like it even less this year. I understand the anti-tanking reason but good teams don't tank so to have the 14th worst team have a shot at Auston Matthews or one of the other top guys is just crap in my opinion.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

My method is not perfect, but I come up with 48.8% chance of getting one of the top 3 picks if you finish last in the league.

So yeah, roughly a coin toss between a top 3 pick, or the 4th overall.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Welcome to the real world doggy. There are still many who believe otherwise.

And as I am a closeted tanker (or have been so accused) I don't think rushing Bob back makes any sense nor would I have a problem with the kids getting an extra look or two. Once again reality has to play a part in real world thinking

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Funny, when I said that I was told I was being unrealistically self-pitying.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

But your best chance (20%) is by keeping up the current pace.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Welcome to the real world doggy. There are still many who believe otherwise.

And as I am a closeted tanker (or have been so accused) I don't think rushing Bob back makes any sense nor would I have a problem with the kids getting an extra look or two. Once again reality has to play a part in real world thinking

If a guy has a long run injury concern then I think this is a totally reasonable time to give him the extra rest. But in game, you play the healthy players and you play to win.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
My method is not perfect, but I come up with 48.8% chance of getting one of the top 3 picks if you finish last in the league.

So yeah, roughly a coin toss between a top 3 pick, or the 4th overall.
Technically it's 3 coin flips.

Would our chances go up with teams being removed?

So say the *******s in EDM get 1st again, wouldn't our % go up for getting 2nd since there's one less team?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If a guy has a long run injury concern then I think this is a totally reasonable time to give him the extra rest. But in game, you play the healthy players and you play to win.

Maybe not long run but 3 groins in 3 years plus a relapse this time when "he was ready" tells me they should err on the cautious side with him. Forget the tank aspect it just makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad