Bobby Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
From what i remember, he was usually by himself on the second line and second PP but would be all put together when down in the third.

If I remember correctly he would play with Getz and Perry quite consistently at even strength, but would get bumped off the top PP unit for Selanne. I know that there was a stretch where he got shuffled around though as well.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well league scoring has gone down tremendously since he put up those seasons. It's also a heck of a lot tougher being "the guy" on a line (heck, on the team) than riding shotgun with Getzlaf and Perry. Sure it would be great if he could put up a bit more offence, but the guy has unquestionably passed the eye test. When he's on he's the best forward on the team, and we wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot without him.

I feel like I was one of the bigger skeptics when the move was made, as I wasn't sure about his consistency and compete levels, but we can throw those questions out the window, the guy has been fantastic since day 1.

I seem to recall him on the second line more often than riding shotgun with getzlaf and perry.

I also agree that everything about his compete level has been amazing.

I just feel like he has the potential to be a 70+ point player but isn't hitting those marks. Basically he's leaving more to be desired offensively. The talent is there. He's done it before as the go-to guy on his line.

Sometimes i see him enter the zone and create something out of nothing with either a nice dangle, creative pass, or deadly shot. Other times i see him enter the zone and not try to do anything and just puts it in deep despite having 4 guys back in good defensive positioning. Its as if he could try offensive things more often without hurting his team defensively and could put up more points that way...but simply isn't for whatever reason.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
That injured finger has probably cost him at least 5 goals. His shot probably won't recover until he gets a few months off.

My only real concern with Bobby is his style of play leads to a number of injuries. We just have to hope for a little more luck on that front.

I love having him on the team and in the community.

BigBush*

That injured finger has probably cost him at least 5 goals. His shot probably won't recover until he gets a few months off.

My only real concern with Bobby is his style of play leads to a number of injuries. We just have to hope for a little more luck on that front.

But wasn't he on one of his better point streaks when he was playing through his broken finger?

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa

and he is taking on leadership if you listen to his interviews... he's speaking up in the room to try and keep guys focused and level... he also seems to be doing a lot of pregame postgame int's which helps keep distractions off the young guys

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
But wasn't he on one of his better point streaks when he was playing through his broken finger?

All I know is we aren't seeing the quick release and blistering shot he is known for. I can only assume the injury has hurt that. Most of his goals are coming from in close. Not that I'm complaining.

BigBush*

All I know is we aren't seeing the quick release and blistering shot he is known for. I can only assume the injury has hurt that. Most of his goals are coming from in close. Not that I'm complaining.

But that's been the case even when his finger was fine.
It's more that we were sold on him being a sniper/trigger man to play with Spezza, but he's more a power forward/playmaker

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
But that's been the case even when his finger was fine.
It's more that we were sold on him being a sniper/trigger man to play with Spezza, but he's more a power forward/playmaker

Has it been reported as fine? His shot just isn't there compared to some of the goals he scored last season.

I agree with the 2nd part, a power forward/playmaker seemed to fit better with Zibanejad and Hoffman but now that line has stopped producing...

BigBush*

Has it been reported as fine? His shot just isn't there compared to some of the goals he scored last season.

I agree with the 2nd part, a power forward/playmaker seemed to fit better with Zibanejad and Hoffman but now that line has stopped producing...

I just assumed it was fine since he broke it over 2 months ago

SenatorArmy*

Bobby Ryan is amazing..not just a player but a person, a real quality individual. It's hard to overstate what a winner this guy is & I'm talking strictly as a human being. & I've only met him twice. I know probalby a long shot but I hope he retires a Senator.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
I seem to recall him on the second line more often than riding shotgun with getzlaf and perry.

I also agree that everything about his compete level has been amazing.

I just feel like he has the potential to be a 70+ point player but isn't hitting those marks. Basically he's leaving more to be desired offensively. The talent is there. He's done it before as the go-to guy on his line.

Sometimes i see him enter the zone and create something out of nothing with either a nice dangle, creative pass, or deadly shot. Other times i see him enter the zone and not try to do anything and just puts it in deep despite having 4 guys back in good defensive positioning. Its as if he could try offensive things more often without hurting his team defensively and could put up more points that way...but simply isn't for whatever reason.

I do agree with this. Ryan's been outstanding for us so far this year and he's been one of the true leaders on this team. To be quite honest, I was shocked when he resigned with us for as long as he did (8 years?).

That being said I do think he can probably be more than just an 18 goal guy for us. He's been great otherwise but I wonder how much that finger is bothering him. It has to be affecting his shot somehow I'm sure. I still think he can be a 30 goal guy for us but its realistic to think his scoring's gone down because he's playing with less established players than a Perry and Getzlaf but I don't think he's completely lost his ability to be a 30 goal guy again.

He's just had complete **** luck when it comes to injuries since he's been here. First the herniated disk last season that was bothering him and now the broken finger he's been dealing with all year. It'd be nice to see what he can do if he can go through the whole season healthy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
From the eyeball test and memory, most guys take a dip in scoring/points stats in the season where they round out their game to become complete players.

This could easily be that blip in the stats while he goes from being the pure sniper to the all-around playmaker and catalyst type player.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011

I really noticed his reluctance to shoot the puck last game. Its clear his finger, or something, is still bothering him. This is two seasons in a row he has had an injury. It will be nice when he can play a full season in health and hopefully put up some goals like he used too.

That said he is getting a ton of assists and playing with intensity.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Bobby Ryan now has 5 more points in 2 less games this season. And the impressive thing is that he's got WAY more assists.

If he can play a full, healthy season, he's a 65-70 point guy with game breaking ability and now two-way play. And as others have said, he's a great person, and seemingly a leader on the ice and with the media. Well worth his extension IMO.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I really noticed his reluctance to shoot the puck last game. Its clear his finger, or something, is still bothering him. This is two seasons in a row he has had an injury. It will be nice when he can play a full season in health and hopefully put up some goals like he used too.

That said he is getting a ton of assists and playing with intensity.

He is clearly playing thru an injury. I don't think it is the finger, I suspect it is a shoulder or maybe arm/wrist issue. Not only is he reluctant to shoot, he is also not hitting like he had been.

I think it happened in the Boston game two weeks ago (the one we lost) ... I seem to remember he had a collision behind the Boston net where it took him several seconds to get up.

I have a ton of respect for this guy.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
He is clearly playing thru an injury. I don't think it is the finger, I suspect it is a shoulder or maybe arm/wrist issue. Not only is he reluctant to shoot, he is also not hitting like he had been.

I think it happened in the Boston game two weeks ago (the one we lost) ... I seem to remember he had a collision behind the Boston net where it took him several seconds to get up.

I have a ton of respect for this guy.

he's had some terrible luck with injuries since he's been here. Would be interesting to see how he does in a full season without any nagging injuries

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I do agree with this. Ryan's been outstanding for us so far this year and he's been one of the true leaders on this team. To be quite honest, I was shocked when he resigned with us for as long as he did (8 years?).

That being said I do think he can probably be more than just an 18 goal guy for us. He's been great otherwise but I wonder how much that finger is bothering him. It has to be affecting his shot somehow I'm sure. I still think he can be a 30 goal guy for us but its realistic to think his scoring's gone down because he's playing with less established players than a Perry and Getzlaf but I don't think he's completely lost his ability to be a 30 goal guy again.

He's just had complete **** luck when it comes to injuries since he's been here. First the herniated disk last season that was bothering him and now the broken finger he's been dealing with all year. It'd be nice to see what he can do if he can go through the whole season healthy

Hernia**. herniated disc was spezza.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
The guy has been an absolute slam dunk.

You now have a two-way, elite forward in his prime acting as a leader for this team.

He by all accounts loves Ottawa, and has fit in unbelievably well.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
He's probably banged up to some degree, but he and Zibanejad really need Hoffman's speed on their line. He opens up a lot of ice for them.

Putting Chiasson back with them is bizarre. That trio was a disaster when MacLean tried to shove it down our throats at the start of the year.

Karlsson2Turris*

Hoffman shouldn't have been demoted, rather Ryan should have.

Need him to wake up out there

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's probably banged up to some degree, but he and Zibanejad really need Hoffman's speed on their line. He opens up a lot of ice for them.

Putting Chiasson back with them is bizarre. That trio was a disaster when MacLean tried to shove it down our throats at the start of the year.

On the flip side it makes the fourth line much better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad