Bobby Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There's easily 15 forwards ( let alone players ) I would trade Ryan for, common guys :

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Perry, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Getzlaf, Giroux, Toews, Kane, Tavares, Seguin, Benn, Kopitar, Parise, MacKinnon, Duchene etc..

That's 17 right there just off the top of my head.

With that said, I was not happy at the time we made the trade for Ryan but he really have proven me wrong, and he's definately one of my favourite Sens now :)

You need to keep working on your list. From that list you have Perry, Ovechkin, Kane, Benn and MacKinnon that are forwards. The other 12 are centers.

There is a big difference between forwards and centers.

Mathieu

Aug 28, 2010
You need to keep working on your list. From that list you have Perry, Ovechkin, Kane, Benn and MacKinnon that are forwards. The other 12 are centers.

There is a big difference between forwards and centers.

What ?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
forwards = wingers

comparing the value of wingers and centers is not an apple to apple comparison

that post identified 17 "forwards" that the guy would trade Ryan for, but most of the guys on the list are centers.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
forwards = wingers

comparing the value of wingers and centers is not an apple to apple comparison

that post identified 17 "forwards" that the guy would trade Ryan for, but most of the guys on the list are centers.

Although I agree that centers are generally more valuable... They are both forwards :laugh:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
On That's Hockey last night, they said that Bobby Ryan now has scored 4 GWGs against Boston (I don't know if they included his shootout winner in that).

Big Game Bobby in effect!

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
In hindsight we ripped Anaheim pretty hard on that one, classic quantity for quality.

Hard to tell even at this point and even if Noesen has unfortunately seen his development stopped by injuries.

Silfverberg is on pace for 40 points and plays almost 2min of PK per game. I expect him to have a big season next year since he has almost as many shots as Ryan this season but his shooting% is way below normal. That will definitely get higher next season and he should have around 50 points rather easily. If Silf can hang around 50 points for the years to come while Bobby hangs around 60-65 then you add Ritchie into the mix who'll be a good NHL player I feel like you have a fair deal.

I'm a little scared since Stone has already as many points as Ryan in his rookie season. If he hangs around Ryan's stats while being in the league leaders in takeaways he'll ask for a hefty raise in a couple seasons( assuming he signs a bridge deal this summer) and one has to think that Ryan's contract will be a comparable.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Hard to tell even at this point and even if Noesen has unfortunately seen his development stopped by injuries.

Silfverberg is on pace for 40 points and plays almost 2min of PK per game. I expect him to have a big season next year since he has almost as many shots as Ryan this season but his shooting% is way below normal. That will definitely get higher next season and he should have around 50 points rather easily. If Silf can hang around 50 points for the years to come while Bobby hangs around 60-65 then you add Ritchie into the mix who'll be a good NHL player I feel like you have a fair deal.

I'm a little scared since Stone has already as many points as Ryan in his rookie season. If he hangs around Ryan's stats while being in the league leaders in takeaways he'll ask for a hefty raise in a couple seasons( assuming he signs a bridge deal this summer) and one has to think that Ryan's contract will be a comparable.

I love Silf, would take him back in a heartbeat, and I was gushing over him for a couple years, but at this point I just don't think he's ever going to be a game breaking impact player like Ryan is.

Saying they got fleeced is probably exaggerating, but imo we gave up 3 guys who will all top out as 2nd/3rd line complimentary players at best for the best forward on our team. Guys like that can be easily replaced, guys like Ryan can't.

If Stone plays real well like it looks like he will, then you're right that we will have no choice but to pony up or move on. I don't think having Ryan on OUR team though makes any difference to Stones contract. Ryan would have been offered that contract if not bigger from at least 5-10 other teams if he hit UFA and doesn't have to be on our team to be used as a comparable.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Slifverberg is not in the same universe as Ryan. He is a prototypical 3rd line winger with potential to get to the second line if everything lines up for him.

Silfverberg is 24 and has 77 points in his first 3 complete NHL seasons so far.

Ryan started at a younger age (which should make this comparison less favourable for him), and had 131 points in his first three season despite only playing 23 games in his first because he was a late callup. In fact, Ryan had 72 goals during his first 2 1/4 seasons.

So comparing apples to apples in terms of development, which tells us a lot about the quality of the player, at a similar point in his career Ryan had a goal per game pace around Silfverberg's point per game pace. That is crazy.

The trade essentially did two things that are important to remember. First off, we traded some of our youth, which is all about potential, for a proven goal scorer who is older. Second, Anaheim was pressed up against their budget after signing Perry and Getzlaf and knew they would not be able to sign Ryan to a new deal when the time came. They got exactly what they needed in terms of youth and potential that comes at a miniscule contract cost, while we got what BM felt we needed at the time. It was win/win then, and I would still consider it a win/win now.

Last edited:

BigBush*

In hindsight we ripped Anaheim pretty hard on that one, classic quantity for quality.

How can we use hindsight when 2 big pieces for the trade are still ripping it up in the minors (Ritchie is, and I hear Noesen is back on track)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Silfverberg is 24 and has 77 points in his first 3 complete NHL seasons so far.

Ryan started at a younger age (which should make this comparison less favourable for him), and had 131 points in his first three season despite only playing 23 games in his first because he was a late callup. In fact, Ryan had 72 goals during his first 2 1/4 seasons.

Well there's no question Ryan is the better player here, I think people we're talking about of Ritchie(top 10 pick) and Silfverberg for Ryan. The other thing you don't take in consideration in your analysis is that silfverberg is not typically the same type of player as Ryan. Silfverberg has quickly developed in one of the best young defensive and reliable forward in the league while Ryan was a goal scorer( altough this season he may get to 20 only). Stats are hard to compare also as Ryan has played in North American hockey his whole life while Silfverberg jumped straight from Europe to the NHL which is a big change in quality of adversity and style of play which will take more time to adapt without a doubt.

All in all, I feel like this is a deal that's more fair than some make it seem to be but I agree that Ryan is a player that's going to impact this team more especially until we really see what Ritchie can do.

WhiteLight*

Silfverberg puts up legit 2nd line winger numbers. Plus he's great at shootouts. Plus he's a top notch defensive player; la crème de la crème of defensive forwards. That boosts his value a huge amount. Silf is an ultra valuable player. He's certainly close to Bobby in terms of value and impact

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Silfverberg puts up legit 2nd line winger numbers. Plus he's great at shootouts. Plus he's a top notch defensive player; la crème de la crème of defensive forwards. That boosts his value a huge amount. Silf is an ultra valuable player. He's certainly close to Bobby in terms of value and impact

You basically wrote exactly what I was thinking! Agree from top to bottom and he's only getting better.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Silfverberg puts up legit 2nd line winger numbers. Plus he's great at shootouts. Plus he's a top notch defensive player; la crème de la crème of defensive forwards. That boosts his value a huge amount. Silf is an ultra valuable player. He's certainly close to Bobby in terms of value

Are you kidding? Silfverberg is nowhere near Ryan in terms of value.

Ryan is a 60-70P power winger while Silfverberg is a 30-40P two-way winger. The difference in value between a legitimate 1st line forward and a ideal 3rd line forward is huge.

WhiteLight*

Are you kidding? Silfverberg is nowhere near Ryan in terms of value.

Ryan is a 60-70P power winger while Silfverberg is a 30-40P two-way winger. The difference in value between a legitimate 1st line forward and a ideal 3rd line forward is huge.

OK, on ice value.

Silf is only 15 points back of Ryan (and had a really slow start, which means he's improved and his level of play isn't dictated by his point totals).

Silf's superior defensive game, PK and shootout skills makes up a great deal for that 15 point gap. It's close

Anyone who thinks it isn't is drinking the ''wow those silky smooth hands are ausssome!1!!!'' koolaid

Ryan's a fine 1st liner. Silf is an elite 2nd liner. It's close

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I think Silfverberg is on the cusp on reaching a new level, he's been looking rather strong this last little while

I don't mind it that much though, Ryan is still exactly what we needed and has been great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad