Bobby Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
OK, on ice value.

Silf is only 15 points back of Ryan (and had a really slow start, which means he's improved and his level of play isn't dictated by his point totals).

Silf's superior defensive game, PK and shootout skills makes up a great deal for that 15 point gap. It's close

Anyone who thinks it isn't is drinking the ''wow those silky smooth hands are ausssome!1!!!'' koolaid

Ryan's a fine 1st liner. Silf is an elite 2nd liner. It's close

Not in the same universe. And you can't even reasonably argue that Silf is better defensively anymore, because he is not.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I missed a good chunk of 1st half of season, and ive seen comments about Ryan and a groin problem or Ryan with a thumb or hand problem.... is he still playing with inuries, and if so which is it ? ... he sure ddoesnt seem to want to rifle shots, so im guessing hand problems ?... I like the way he's playing, showing a lot more playmaking ability and leadership than I expected, but I expected more of a Hoffman type shooting range from him

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Not in the same universe. And you can't even reasonably argue that Silf is better defensively anymore, because he is not.

not in the same universe of dangles yes. Luckily dangles are all that matter though amirite :sarcasm:

I don't know, calling him a 4th liner hardly seems fair. Although I guess if you base it on his numbers prior to this season and the contract he had to swallow then I guess you could make a case.

lol

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
I don't know, calling him a 4th liner hardly seems fair. Although I guess if you base it on his numbers prior to this season and the contract he had to swallow then I guess you could make a case.

he wasn't forced to swallow a contract... him and his agent felt they were gonna have a breakout year, and didn't want to get locked in to a longer low paying contract when they figured they could wait a year and get bigger bucks after he had a proven solid year with bigger numbers.... I read that on some Swedish newspaper link... even the Anaheim boards were proud of him , figuring he's showing ***ls by waiting to prove he's better than he's been.

WhiteLight*

15 more points in 6 less games is a huge gap to me,

Fair enough. I didn't say Silf was just as good either. To me, Silf = top notch 2nd liner. Ryan = fine 1st liner.

Gap isn't huge, that's all. My opinion

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
not in the same universe of dangles yes. Luckily dangles are all that matter though amirite :sarcasm:

Not just dangles, but Ryan's overall talent level is leagues ahead of Silfverberg's. Ryan is one of the more talented forwards in the league in terms of puck skills, while Silfverberg does not have top 6 skill. He's not a great puckhandler, his vision is mediocre at best and playmaking is not a strength. Really the only thing the kid has going for him is his shot, but he's too slow to get it off and it's wildly inaccurate. I'd be surprised if he becomes anything more than a 40-50 point forward in his best years, while Ryan can be counted on for between 60-70 points in a normal season. Make no mistake about it - that's a huge gap in offense.

I don't know why you're laughing his comment off. Silfverberg was the 13th highest scoring forward on the Ducks last year, which would make him a 4th line player on that team, and he was paid accordingly.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
I missed a good chunk of 1st half of season, and ive seen comments about Ryan and a groin problem or Ryan with a thumb or hand problem.... is he still playing with inuries, and if so which is it ? ... he sure ddoesnt seem to want to rifle shots, so im guessing hand problems ?... I like the way he's playing, showing a lot more playmaking ability and leadership than I expected, but I expected more of a Hoffman type shooting range from him

A poster pointed out a bit ago on how Ryan puts himself in positions to make plays and create space for the younger guys on his line.

Also Mika pointed out on how Ryan told him to just play his game and not to worry about him, I imagine Ryan is changing his style to help out the younger guys. That's leadership. There may have been other interviews too with Mike and Hoff that points that out, but I'm not quite sure

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
he wasn't forced to swallow a contract... him and his agent felt they were gonna have a breakout year, and didn't want to get locked in to a longer low paying contract when they figured they could wait a year and get bigger bucks after he had a proven solid year with bigger numbers.... I read that on some Swedish newspaper link... even the Anaheim boards were proud of him , figuring he's showing ***ls by waiting to prove he's better than he's been.

The entire bolded part can be said of many RFAs who sign for more than 850k.

You use low dollar one year "show me" deals on guys that you are not sold on. That is just a reality. He showing that he deserves to be signed again for sure, and he will be re-signed at a decent raise, but let's not re-work the past too much here.

WhiteLight*

Not just dangles, but Ryan's overall talent level is leagues ahead of Silfverberg's. Ryan is one of the more talented forwards in the league in terms of puck skills, while Silfverberg does not have top 6 skill. He's not a great puckhandler, his vision is mediocre at best and playmaking is not a strength. Really the only thing the kid has going for him is his shot, but he's too slow to get it off and it's wildly inaccurate. I'd be surprised if he becomes anything more than a 40-50 point forward in his best years, while Ryan can be counted on for between 60-70 points in a normal season. Make no mistake about it - that's a huge gap in offense.

40-50 points is not a top 6 forward? I'm sorry Hale, but come on. 35 points over 82 is probably considered acceptable 2nd line scoring these days. 40 points is without a doubt.

You're seriously underrating his puck handling. He has top 6 skill. Plus, no mention of his hockey sense. Hockey sense is by far Silfverberg's biggest strength - more than his shot.

I'm aware there's a gap in offence. but hockey is a two-way game and I really don't believe in evaluating a player's worth based on offence. I don't think Bobby is bad defensively but Silf is elite defensively. Crème de la crème.

I don't know why you're laughing his comment off. Silfverberg was the 13th highest scoring forward on the Ducks last year, which would make him a 4th line player on that team, and he was paid accordingly.

because he is 4th this year and personally, I prefer him over Kesler as well. He's the 3rd or 4th best forward on a top NHL team. 4th liner? :help: c'mon people.

Getzlaf
Perry
Silfverberg

on a great team like the Ducks, that's where he stands.

Expectations points-wise are imo ridiculous round these parts

WhiteLight*

Who cares about points. Ask Ducks fans what they think of Silf and they'll all be drooling.

alfie follower

Oct 16, 2013
ottawa
The entire bolded part can be said of many RFAs who sign for more than 850k.

You use low dollar one year "show me" deals on guys that you are not sold on. That is just a reality. He showing that he deserves to be signed again for sure, and he will be re-signed at a decent raise, but let's not re-work the past too much here.

sure can be said...but he wasn't ' forced to swallow a contract'... he made the choice, he was offered a multi yearcontract, but felt he was worth more... so he chose to sign the 1 year

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
the bruins thread was funny. Bobby ryan isnt clutch he needs to learn from a guy like turris or stone. 2 mins later... Bobby Ryan scores the GWG to beat the bruins lol

35 points is not second line production its third imo. Remember though a guy can have a cold streak like zibby and then suddenly start producing like a top 6 center the rest of the year. His overall production might be lacking but he played like a top 6 forward since december.

Silf is 4th on the ducks in ice time. Pretty sure hes gets that ice time based on merit too. He's an important forward. He still could become a 25-30 goal player if he changes his game to a more NA style. He doesnt seem that comfortable carrying the puck through contact.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
40-50 points is not a top 6 forward? I'm sorry Hale, but come on. 35 points over 82 is probably considered acceptable 2nd line scoring these days. 40 points is without a doubt.

You're seriously underrating his puck handling. He has top 6 skill. Plus, no mention of his hockey sense. Hockey sense is by far Silfverberg's biggest strength - more than his shot.

I'm aware there's a gap in offence. but hockey is a two-way game and I really don't believe in evaluating a player's worth based on offence. I don't think Bobby is bad defensively but Silf is elite defensively. Crème de la crème.

because he is 4th this year and personally, I prefer him over Kesler as well. He's the 3rd or 4th best forward on a top NHL team. 4th liner? :help: c'mon people.

Getzlaf
Perry
Silfverberg

on a great team like the Ducks, that's where he stands.

Expectations points-wise are imo ridiculous round these parts

I dono about that. Unless you watch he ducks game in game out I can't take that ranking very seriously.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ill take the game breaker with leadership skills over the perimeter player every day of the week.

This team needs first line talent Silf will never be first line talent.

It was a fantastic trade, look how much depth this organization has Prince cant even get in the line up and he looked fantastic in his call up.

BigBush*

Ill take the game breaker with leadership skills over the perimeter player every day of the week.

This team needs first line talent Silf will never be first line talent.

It was a fantastic trade, look how much depth this organization has Prince cant even get in the line up and he looked fantastic in his call up.

Exactly! (well except for calling Silf a perimeter player).

The fact that we had the prospect depth to be able to give up what we did without really hurting our prospect pool that much says so much about the team and the drafting Murray has done

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Are you kidding? Silfverberg is nowhere near Ryan in terms of value.

Ryan is a 60-70P power winger while Silfverberg is a 30-40P two-way winger. The difference in value between a legitimate 1st line forward and a ideal 3rd line forward is huge.

To be fair Ryan hasn't hit 60 points in 4 years.

BigBush*

To be fair Ryan hasn't hit 60 points in 4 years.

I had to google hockeydb and can confirm that is true.

Hes also only hit 60+ twice in 7 seasons.

I hope he can at least sustain this level of play for most of his contract with Ottawa

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I had to google hockeydb and can confirm that is true.

Hes also only hit 60+ twice in 7 seasons.

I hope he can at least sustain this level of play for most of his contract with Ottawa

I've been very happy with his physical and defensive game. no complaints what so ever.

I have been disappointing in his offense however.

Pace this year per 82 games: 62 points
Pace last 2 years per 82: 59 points
pace last 3 years per 82: 58 points
pace last 4 years per 82: 57 points

He's producing at a 55-60 point pace the last several years.

After putting:

57 in 64
64 in 81
71 in 82
(^69 point pace over 3 years)

Why can't he produce like he used to? If we're getting 10-15 less points for 10-15 more hits and a few more minutes of PK it might not be worth the production drop.

BigBush*

I've been very happy with his physical huh and defensive game. no complaints what so ever.

After putting:

57 in 64
64 in 81
71 in 82

Why can't he produce like he used to? If we're getting 10-15 less points for 10-15 more hits and a few more minutes of PK it might not be worth the production drop.

Wasn't that mainly playing on a line with Getzlaf and Perry though?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Wasn't that mainly playing on a line with Getzlaf and Perry though?

From what i remember, he was usually by himself on the second line and second PP but would be all put together when down in the third.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I've been very happy with his physical and defensive game. no complaints what so ever.

After putting:

57 in 64
64 in 81
71 in 82

Well league scoring has gone down tremendously since he put up those seasons. It's also a heck of a lot tougher being "the guy" on a line (heck, on the team) than riding shotgun with Getzlaf and Perry. Sure it would be great if he could put up a bit more offence, but the guy has unquestionably passed the eye test. When he's on he's the best forward on the team, and we wouldn't be fighting for a playoff spot without him.

I feel like I was one of the bigger skeptics when the move was made, as I wasn't sure about his consistency and compete levels, but we can throw those questions out the window, the guy has been fantastic since day 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad