Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Maybe we can finally win some shootouts.

Also, to those who say Bobby is lazy... I think Bobby is a complimentary player rather than a leader. He excels when surrounded by talent, but by himself is not a difference maker.

Anyway, I am happy. When he was at his best he was my favorite player. I loved watching his skilled play.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's so odd that I thought about him watching last game. I wondered how long it would be. Pretty arbitrary

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
What the truth lol ?
No the typically ignorant comment of a player fighting some personal demons. Yet someone happens to say Karlsson made a bad play and you start having a temper tantrum like a child.
That is what I mean by a typical response from you.

Reactions: Xspyrit

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Never realized that they actually said "substance abuse program"

Bobby Ryan makes his return to Ottawa's practice as trade winds swirl around Sens

For the first time since he entered the NHL-NHLPA Substance abuse program on November 20th, Bobby Ryan took part in Ottawa’s practice and received a warm welcome back to the team. Though he’s still ‘a ways away’, Ryan will provide the Sens more depth in their lineup as the trade deadline approaches. Brent Wallace has more.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

Bobby Ryan makes his return to Ottawa's practice as trade winds swirl around Sens

For the first time since he entered the NHL-NHLPA Substance abuse program on November 20th, Bobby Ryan took part in Ottawa’s practice and received a warm welcome back to the team. Though he’s still ‘a ways away’, Ryan will provide the Sens more depth in their lineup as the trade deadline approaches. Brent Wallace has more.
They definitely did not at the time. This could be a typo/ assumption on their part.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

That might just be a mis-print as I do not believe that is the actual name of the program?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
No the typically ignorant comment of a player fighting some personal demons. Yet someone happens to say Karlsson made a bad play and you start having a temper tantrum like a child.
That is what I mean by a typical response from you.

Don't think I've ever had a temper tantrum because Karlsson made a bad play but okay

Anyway I feel for bobby he's going through some shit. But that doesn't mean he should be gifted a roster spot when he consistently plays like he's in a game of shinny.

If he's willing to work and put in the effort that's a different story.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Not gonna lie...

I had completely forgot about him.
Great that he’s managed to beat whatever was having him down but if he’s going to be back to playing like crap? Meh, I’m not bothered.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Considering his groin/hernia issues of the past, I hope they take the conditioning slow and steady. No sense tossing him out there too soon and causing another injury.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Don't think I've ever had a temper tantrum because Karlsson made a bad play but okay

Anyway I feel for bobby he's going through some ****. But that doesn't mean he should be gifted a roster spot when he consistently plays like he's in a game of shinny.

If he's willing to work and put in the effort that's a different story.
you're downplaying or ignoring the potential that these issues in his game are a result of his demons. Like if he was super depressed for example, you don't think that's going to have an impact on the ice?

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
you're downplaying or ignoring the potential that these issues in his game are a result of his demons. Like if he was super depressed for example, you don't think that's going to have an impact on the ice?
I have a hard time going to the gym for an hour after a couple beers the night before. Imagine playing professional hockey if addicted to any substance.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
That might just be a mis-print as I do not believe that is the actual name of the program?

I'm 1000% sure I've heard "Substance Abuse Program" a dozen times before and a quick 15 second google search would lead me to believe the official name is "Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program".

Watson reinstated by NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program

Canadiens' Kassian placed in Stage Two of NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Program

Bell Placed in NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse Program

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I have a hard time going to the gym for an hour after a couple beers the night before. Imagine playing professional hockey if addicted to any substance.

Try going to gym for 5 seconds when you are depressed. Try going when you have childhood demons to ward off? And so on.

Given the choice between issues such as alcohol or drug abuse and the mental strain of overcoming trauma...take the former.

I am only guessing, but if Bobby Ryan's two choices were a broken leg with a sludge hammer, but no poor family history and a mom still by his side, or reliving his life as it unfolded... Guess which he would take?

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
This discussion made me look for what brian burke said about him after leaving ryan off the 2014 olympics roster, they're a lot worse than i recalled:

“He is not intense. That word is not in his vocabulary,”

“It’s never going to be in his vocabulary. He can’t spell intense.”

“He’s a passive guy.”

Burke said he debated with scouts about whether to draft defenceman Jack Johnson instead of Ryan.
“I should have taken Jack,”

Ryan upset with Burke's 'gutless' comments - Sportsnet.ca

I believe ryan has always been lazy and relatively out of shape. With age, injuries, cushy contract and personal issues, those attributes have only become more pronounced.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
On the discussion of Ryan's play - without weighing in on whether his play is so bad as to deserve being cut - If you truly believe he has been so bad as to not warrant a roster spot, his personal issues he's facing should not justify him holding on to that spot imo. They get you the help you need, but they shouldn't assure you play above others if they truly do outperform you.

It sounds like he has his demons and deserves all the support he needs outside of hockey, but in the world of pro sports, it doesn't matter what your story is, you either perform or you need to be replaced.

Personally, I don't think he's quite there yet, especially with the terrible internal competition he faces on the team and the games not meaning anything. There's certainly an argument to be had though that you wouldn't want him on your team from a performance standpoint, even ignoring the salary. I would think he would not be one of the best 12 forwards on most if not all contenders.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
On the discussion of Ryan's play - without weighing in on whether his play is so bad as to deserve being cut - If you truly believe he has been so bad as to not warrant a roster spot, his personal issues he's facing should not justify him holding on to that spot imo. They get you the help you need, but they shouldn't assure you play above others if they truly do outperform you.

It sounds like he has his demons and deserves all the support he needs outside of hockey, but in the world of pro sports, it doesn't matter what your story is, you either perform or you need to be replaced.

Personally, I don't think he's quite there yet, especially with the terrible internal competition he faces on the team and the games not meaning anything. There's certainly an argument to be had though that you wouldn't want him on your team from a performance standpoint, even ignoring the salary. I would think he would not be one of the best 12 forwards on most if not all contenders.

I agree. The NHLPA takes care of their athletes and BR will receive his guaranteed salary in accordance to the CBA regardless if he plays or not. It is great to see him back skating and smiling. When he is medically cleared and if he chooses not to retire he will have to show up at practice to get his $7 million.

He will be Ottawa’s highest paid forward for years until we buy him out or Brady resigns.

Reactions: Gesus

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Try going to gym for 5 seconds when you are depressed. Try going when you have childhood demons to ward off? And so on.

Given the choice between issues such as alcohol or drug abuse and the mental strain of overcoming trauma...take the former.

I am only guessing, but if Bobby Ryan's two choices were a broken leg with a sludge hammer, but no poor family history and a mom still by his side, or reliving his life as it unfolded... Guess which he would take?

I think you nailed it.

What looks like laziness on the outside (and I'm guilty of assuming that's all it was too) can be severe depression and anxiety on the inside. You can be 100% physically healthy, but when the brain says no, you just can't do anything.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I think you nailed it.

What looks like laziness on the outside (and I'm guilty of assuming that's all it was too) can be severe depression and anxiety on the inside. You can be 100% physically healthy, but when the brain says no, you just can't do anything.
I would say even more accurately that it is PTSD that gives him his "lazy/apathetic" demeanor.

Also Brian Burke is a tool and I'm not surprised he doesn't understand that someone with mental illness is gonna behave differently than someone without.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad