Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hope that 8-2 spanking with him in the line up is enough to make
Him go back in the PB

Bobby Ryan trying to be Chris Neil was an interesting look. Too slow, not enough offense to make up for it.. how long would he last playing like he did in Carolina.. hmmm might be on to something there.

Get out there and hit, initiate .. stand up for your team mates .. kind of role for Bobby is almost a guaranteed path to LTIR and more savings.

Reactions: Yak and Alex1234

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Okay I am just throwing out for fun! Bobby Ryan for Kovalchuk! Maybe Kovi shows some flash or offensive touch with our other Russians and becomes a tradeable asset or teaches offense to those less gifted. Anything better the watching Bobby waste a roster spot.

Maybe Bobby finds his game back in the west division and shake up wakes him up. I would even eat some salary just to see Bobby gone.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Okay I am just throwing out for fun! Bobby Ryan for Kovalchuk! Maybe Kovi shows some flash or offensive touch with our other Russians and becomes a tradeable asset or teaches offense to those less gifted. Anything better the watching Bobby waste a roster spot.

Maybe Bobby finds his game back in the west division and shake up wakes him up. I would even eat some salary just to see Bobby gone.

just ride out the season and buy him out.

Reactions: NB613

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Kovalchuk would instantly retire. Not kidding.

The only places he would take a trade to are : Anaheim / San Jose / Florida / Tampa .. and probably Vegas.

And because he's a 35+ contract we would still have the cap hit. So... actually.. if the Sens dont have to pay him because he's retired.. but he still counts against the cap... my god you actually have a perfect trade for the Sens.

Reactions: Cosmix

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fear is that Kovalchuk would actually show up here, and we'd have to play him. Bobby Ryan is a good guy who is well liked by his teammates, and won't ever be a problem for team chemistry. The last thing this team needs is a lazy, sulky diva like Kovalchuk who won't compete and is just playing out the string. Kovalchuk is yet another cautionary tale about seeing a guy light up the KHL, and thinking that it might translate back to the NHL.

Here's why I don't think Bobby Ryan is going anywhere - we likely need his salary to hit the floor next season, as we will lose some of the dead money we have on LTIR with Callahan and Clarke MacArthur coming off the books. We also need a certain number of veterans to expose in the Seattle expansion draft, and Ryan helps there also. Given how little money we save on him through a buyout, you might as well keep him here through next year. If Seattle doesn't pick him up, then you buy out his last year in late June of 2021.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ryan last 2 seasons PPG : 0.54

Let's see how many forwards maintain a better PPG over a full season

So far this season, Pageau, Connor Brown, Namestnikov, Tkachuk and Paul have over that PPG but I doubt it's sustainable in most cases, at least not when you look at these players history. I think Tkachuk will but for the rest, it remains to be seen. A guy like Brown might because he is given prime offensive minutes and 20 mins a game and Pageau might have a career season because he needs to sign the best contract of his life.

Actually, what is funny, is that among those 5 forwards, only Namestnikov has hit 0.54 or better once, and Tkachuk in his rookie season.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

All strengths, among the 17 players with more than 100 TOI so far this season, Ryan :

CF% : 1st
FF% : 2nd (Tkachuk 1st)
SF% : 2nd (Tkachuk 1st)
GF% : 4th (Paul 1st, Pageau 2nd, Borowiecki 3rd)
xGF% : 5th (Tkachuk 1st, Ennis 2nd, Brannstrom 3rd, Paul 4th)
SCF% : 3rd (Tkachuk 1st, Ennis 2nd)
HDCF% : 3rd (Tkachuk 1st, Chabot 2nd)

I mean, sure Ryan doesn't fit the blue collar grinding their way out of a top-5 pick style that the Sens are targeting, but it could have been played out differently. Ryan had 4 pts in 9 games with 3rd line minutes (~12-13 mins/GP with bottom-6 forwards) when Smith started to bench him. And he could have had at least one more with the goal disallowed vs Toronto. Sure, Ryan is not in his prime anymore and is slower than most NHL players, sure he has been overpaid for 3 years now, but even though he declined he was still a 0.55 PPG forward until 2 weeks ago which is usually around the 6th best PPG among forwards on a NHL team. There was possibilities to trade him vs a (smaller) cap dump or taking back a contract with a high cap hit but less salary owed, or any other kind of financial trade. But with how they handled this situation and let Smith manage his ex Leafs players (ala Boucher), Dorion is now in a much tougher situation than he was. Once again, really not smart asset management by your Ottawa Senators. As usual, they will end up giving up a draft pick to "save money" when they could have found a better "financial deal" before destroying the player and running him out of town.

Another bad asset management is Chris Tierney. Why is he still here? His trade value is plummeting by the minute. Who cares if he had more assists than Stone? Wasn't the plan already to extend Pageau long term? Why wait until the player loses all his trade value?

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

So far this season, Pageau, Connor Brown, Namestnikov, Tkachuk and Paul have over that PPG but I doubt it's sustainable in most cases, at least not when you look at these players history. I think Tkachuk will but for the rest, it remains to be seen. A guy like Brown might because he is given prime offensive minutes and 20 mins a game and Pageau might have a career season because he needs to sign the best contract of his life.

All strengths, among the 17 players with more than 100 TOI so far this season, Ryan :

I mean, sure Ryan doesn't fit the blue collar grinding their way out of a top-5 pick style that the Sens are targeting, but it could have been played out differently. Ryan had 4 pts in 9 games with 3rd line minutes (~12-13 mins/GP with bottom-6 forwards) when Smith started to bench him. And he could have had at least one more with the goal disallowed vs Toronto. Sure, Ryan is not in his prime anymore and is slower than most NHL players, sure he has been overpaid for 3 years now, but even though he declined he was still a 0.55 PPG forward until 2 weeks ago which is usually around the 6th best PPG among forwards on a NHL team. There was possibilities to trade him vs a (smaller) cap dump or taking back a contract with a high cap hit but less salary owed, or any other kind of financial trade. But with how they handled this situation and let Smith manage his ex Leafs players (ala Boucher), Dorion is now in a much tougher situation than he was. Once again, really not smart asset management by your Ottawa Senators. As usual, they will end up giving up a draft pick to "save money" when they could have found a better "financial deal" before destroying the player and running him out of town.

Another bad asset management is Chris Tierney. Why is he still here? His trade value is plummeting by the minute. Who cares if he had more assists than Stone? Wasn't the plan already to extend Pageau long term? Why wait until the player loses all his trade value?
Ryan doesn't make a team better, the team makes Ryan better.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Actually, what is funny, is that among those 5 forwards, only Namestnikov has hit 0.54 or better once, and Tkachuk in his rookie season.

If you dont think that they've been trying to ship Bobby ANYWHERE, at ALL COST, for WHOMEVER and that NOBODY wants part of him even with EK, draft picks etc ...
I dont know what to tell you man

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If you dont think that they've been trying to ship Bobby ANYWHERE, at ALL COST, for WHOMEVER and that NOBODY wants part of him even with EK, draft picks etc ...
I dont know what to tell you man

lol if you think that Ryan is the only overpaid player in the league with an "untouchable" contract I am the one who doesn't know what to tell you. Just a quick example, did you know that Andrew Laad and Karl Alzner were playing in the AHL right now? Almost every team has at least 1 or 2 contracts like that

You were probably among those who thought that "Phaneuf's contract is unmovable". Don't even need to verify, I'm sure your were in that crowd

The fact that he was not traded with EK is not surprising at all. I don't know if you noticed, but when Ottawa trade star players, they take A LOT LESS SALARY IN RETURN. Spezza, Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, etc. A team trading for Ryan would want to send a similar CH the other way, so the Sens would have to accept a complete cap dump or a longer term or anything that engages them in more expenses. If they trade Ryan, it is because they can SAVE MONEY so it's going to be a Phaneuf type deal or for a Loui Eriksson for eample (who has actually 0 pts in 10 games with 9 TOI/GP).

Anyway, moot point because MacArthur and Callahan LTIRs are coming off the books so they actually NEED Ryan's CH next year to reach the floor OR another significant CH coming back.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
lol if you think that Ryan is the only overpaid player in the league with an "untouchable" contract I am the one who doesn't know what to tell you. Just a quick example, did you know that Andrew Laad and Karl Alzner were playing in the AHL right now? Almost every team has at least 1 or 2 contracts like that

You were probably among those who thought that "Phaneuf's contract is unmovable". Don't even need to verify, I'm sure your were in that crowd

The fact that he was not traded with EK is not surprising at all. I don't know if you noticed, but when Ottawa trade star players, they take A LOT LESS SALARY IN RETURN. Spezza, Karlsson, Duchene, Stone, etc. A team trading for Ryan would want to send a similar CH the other way, so the Sens would have to accept a complete cap dump or a longer term or anything that engages them in more expenses. If they trade Ryan, it is because they can SAVE MONEY so it's going to be a Phaneuf type deal or for a Loui Eriksson for eample (who has actually 0 pts in 10 games with 9 TOI/GP).

Anyway, moot point because MacArthur and Callahan LTIRs are coming off the books so they actually NEED Ryan's CH next year to reach the floor OR another significant CH coming back.
Need some proof on that one lol

Oh yeah we need Bobby lol

The coach seems to disagree with you lol

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
No offense but I'm not going to try to pursue an intelligible hockey discussion with you. You lols/words is way too high for me
Says the guy that STARTED his post with those 3 letters
The irony on intelligible discussion is high you're right

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Ryan would have been playing in the AHL last season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Says the guy that STARTED his post with those 3 letters
The irony on intelligible discussion is high you're right

Ok so I guess you need me to be clear : It's a way of saying I have zero interest in discussing this with you. I have been avoiding wasting time on this site since I really don't have much time for it anymore. I answered your post the first time, you came back with your childish response and that's it, I'm done.

Last edited:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ryan is soft, point to any stat line or contract or whatever - his play on the ice is soft and slow. He doesn't get into battles fast enough and when he gets there his engagement level is low and not hard enough.

He’s improved his body language from a few years ago so he’s not constantly looking skyward or checking his hands on the bench or slumping on the back check so his attitude is better, still the same results. Not hard enough, not proud enough, not there to win.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Ok so I guess you need me to be clear : It's a way of saying I have zero interest in discussing this with you. I have been avoiding wasting time on this site since I really don't have much time for it anymore. I answered your post the first time, you came back with your childish response and that's it, I'm done.
You accused me of saying Phaneuf contract was unmoveable to wich I ask you for proofs on that.
You provided none
You started your post with lol then you accuse me of using those letters:clap:

But its ok we all know rational arguing is not your forte

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You accused me of saying Phaneuf contract was unmoveable to wich I ask you for proofs on that.
You provided none

All roads lead to condescension.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You provided none

True. And it's clear to everybody that it is yours...

And sorry for the "accusations", what was I thinking? That's some dead serious accusations.

You said that Ryan contract is unmovable, do I need to find proof that you said or could have said the same thing about Phaneuf's contract? And even then, I said you "probably" were, means that I'm just assuming. That you said it or not doesn't change anything since you're thinking the same thing about Ryan's contract... Are you starting to understand or maybe I'm just not a your "rational arguing" level?

Ok really done with this discussion going nowhere

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
True. And it's clear to everybody that it is yours...

And sorry for the "accusations", what was I thinking? That's some dead serious accusations.

You said that Ryan contract is unmovable, do I need to find proof that you said or could have said the same thing about Phaneuf's contract? And even then, I said you "probably" were, means that I'm just assuming. That you said it or not doesn't change anything since you're thinking the same thing about Ryan's contract... Are you starting to understand or maybe I'm just not a your "rational arguing" level?

Ok really done with this discussion going nowhere
You are relentless in proving my point aren't you?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As I watched the game I wondered if we would have been better served on the back to back to have inserted a different player, Ryan look like he’s regular self that game.

Is Davidsson injured?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I thought he could maybe bring some play making skills to the team this year at least, but he isn't ever in the play...can't control the puck at all, There actually nothing he can do well at an NHL level right now. Every time he receives criticism he just curls up in a ball and gets worse. It's too bad, seems like a nice guy, but should just retire at this point, he's brutal, couldn't revive in career in another marker either.

Last edited:

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
Bobby Ryan will be away from the Senators while taking part in the NHL/NHLPA player assistance program. Well here they go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad